U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-11-2019, 05:29 PM
 
11,328 posts, read 4,408,367 times
Reputation: 1240

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
We only have access to one consciousness- our own. All Consciousness that is not our own is inferred from behavior. Consciousness is immaterial.

I've always gotten it. I don't believe the mind is just confined to our skull.

Nothing but deflections from you. You refuse to answer a basic simple question. What drug did you take? Can you answer that question without deflecting?

You seem to not comprehend the fact that we can only remember what we can reconstruct. Can you see, remember and explain in detail to me hyperbolic object with text? If you can't that means I wouldn't be able to describe them to you in detail where you would understand and that is why I have been repeating over and over again without actually experiencing it you would have no clue.
great ... can you show me one place where "thought" is not based on some particles not moving? or not on a conformational change?

I'll take anything.

 
Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,222 posts, read 576,921 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
This theory is still very poorly misunderstood and leaves many questions like does not binding also take place in the processing of unconscious information?

This does not answer the hard problem of how consciousness is created in the brain. Where is the experimental evidence?

He is just basically stating that we locate conscious events in the approximate neighborhood of the physical object we call the brain. Kind of like our visual states are somewhere in the eyes and brains and not somewhere else. Locating consciousness in the actual world is theoretical only and there is no precise location of consciousness. He agrees with my viewpoint that we have no understanding.

I do not hold a physicalistic view of consciousness.

let’s see the experimental evidence.

Errr wrong

. What he says agrees with my viewpoint. You have not shown anything in regards to Feynman that proves your point.


Do you have experimental evidence to show where it is located? Not correlational evidence.
Excellent, you are now almost agreeing with what I and neuroscientists have been saying all along. there is still some BS in there, but if you keep your story straight, you may even end up doing honest research for yourself.
 
Old 01-12-2019, 11:25 AM
 
305 posts, read 332,721 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
great ... can you show me one place where "thought" is not based on some particles not moving? or not on a conformational change?

I'll take anything.
I donít believe that we fully understand, yet, how thoughts are represented in the brain to answer that. And I donít believe it is clear if consciousness is required for thoughts or not, but it helps. What do we mean by "thought" in different circumstances and contexts?
 
Old 01-12-2019, 11:27 AM
 
305 posts, read 332,721 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Excellent, you are now almost agreeing with what I and neuroscientists have been saying all along. there is still some BS in there, but if you keep your story straight, you may even end up doing honest research for yourself.
All the current theories still have many questions. You really didnít have any answers for my questions.
 
Old 01-12-2019, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,222 posts, read 576,921 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
All the current theories still have many questions. You really didnít have any answers for my questions.
Because I was never been talking about the how, only the where and how WE know this. And after being both arrogant and dishonest in your attacks on me, you have changed your argument, admitting I was correct and you was wrong.

So I have no need to waste anymore time on you (until you start making silly claims again).
 
Old 01-12-2019, 08:15 PM
 
305 posts, read 332,721 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because I was never been talking about the how, only the where and how WE know this. And after being both arrogant and dishonest in your attacks on me, you have changed your argument, admitting I was correct and you was wrong.

So I have no need to waste anymore time on you (until you start making silly claims again).
Typical response for someone that is unable to provide any evidence. Where in the brain is consciousness located? Can you provide any evidence for that?
 
Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 PM
 
38,066 posts, read 25,719,843 times
Reputation: 5899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Typical response for someone that is unable to provide any evidence. Where in the brain is consciousness located? Can you provide any evidence for that?
No, he cannot. The best evidence extant is that consciousness is a manifestation of the entire state of the brain. Anyone familiar with state machines, as Harry professes to be as an occupation, realizes that the state responsible for a given outcome can NOT be the locus of the resultant outcome without destroying the incident state itself. So the entire brain as the incident state cannot be the locus of the consciousness outcome. The fact that the resultant consciousness state is the result of EM-like manifestations (neuronal firings) makes ANY physical matter unlikely as its locus.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,222 posts, read 576,921 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Typical response for someone that is unable to provide any evidence.
No, it is a typical response for someone who refuses to argue youe ever changing, contradictory excuses. I play by my rules, not yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Where in the brain is consciousness located? Can you provide any evidence for that?
Again? I showed you a paper arguing for the whole brain being responsible, which you misrepresented.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 01-13-2019 at 09:30 AM..
 
Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,222 posts, read 576,921 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, he cannot.
I can not do something I did a few months ago? Or maybe you just did not understand what the paper was saying. Just scroll up, it is up there somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The best evidence extant is that consciousness is a manifestation of the entire state of the brain.
Exactly, as in the evidence you assert I can not present, but did, shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Anyone familiar with state machines, as Harry professes to be as an occupation, realizes that the state responsible for a given outcome can NOT be the locus of the resultant outcome without destroying the incident state itself. So the entire brain as the incident state cannot be the locus of the consciousness outcome. The fact that the resultant consciousness state is the result of EM-like manifestations (neuronal firings) makes ANY physical matter unlikely as its locus.
And that is why computers can NEVER work. Oh, wait, maybe there is something wrong with your question begging word salad.
 
Old 01-13-2019, 10:04 AM
 
11,328 posts, read 4,408,367 times
Reputation: 1240
the bottom line is that our level of awareness seems to be in the brain.

that is not claiming any understanding of what it is.

at the same time. if we know 1/2 a peanut worth of silence we know we are in a set of interacting fields and the separation we experience is an illusion. We know that we know 5% of the universe. "human", that we experience that is, is not the most complex set of events in even that individual human you are talking to.

they are just basic stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top