U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2018, 06:20 AM
 
35,687 posts, read 9,544,385 times
Reputation: 4885

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So when someone asks us whether God exisis or not, we should not tell them to do their own research and find their own answers.
Instead we should shove the Atheists narrative down their throats that there is no God because there is no evidenxe.
Classy!
Classy strawman there. Don't you think that it is only fair to allow us to respond to God -claims by saying there is inadequate evidence to support it and so don't believe it? And we would love for them to do the research rather than have the theist narrative shoved down their throats as has been the norm for a very long time - so long as they look at both sides rather than the One side theists would prefer them to look at.

Isn't that what we've been doing with you, old mate, with your endless and repeated ploys for trying to make a case for God. Usually by cheating, as exemplified by the attempt to make us define God, when it isn't for Us to do, but the believer, accusing us of rejecting even the best evidence for a god which of course excuses you from being obliged to produce any (you may recall that we showed that a god could indeed convince atheists that it was in fact God, whereas you would never believe it - if it was the God of the wrong religion), and here you simply try a smear.

You are not doing your case much good.

 
Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 AM
 
3,589 posts, read 2,589,989 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So when someone asks us whether God exisis or not, we should not tell them to do their own research and find their own answers.
Sure if you like. That is at least a more honest cop out than the dishonest cop out I described you engaging in above. If you do not want to present any evidence - or want people to leave you alone and seek it themselves - that is fine! I have no issue with that.

When instead you choose to pretend you have evidence - or that evidence exists - but that you are not giving it because we simply just do not like it however - that is another thing entirely. And I tend not to stand around and let that lie ride. I do not think just a person is in a position to judge whether anyone else is "classy" or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Your past lives are not erased, but they are encoded inside your soul memory.
That is - at least - a testable hypothesis. Alas no one is testing it - finding any such encoding - or finding evidence to suspect these "past lives" are a real phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
We use a VERY small percent of out brain.
Not sure what you mean here - but it sounds like you are referring to a very old long debunked myth. We use all of our brain to my knowledge in one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Because why can we not replicate that today?
Who says we can not? We _are_ not but that is a different thing. Will and motivation are required first. Demand for things like pyramids just is not at a high at this time. No one wants one.

I can not think of a single example of ancient achievements that we are in any way precluded from replicating today. Not doing it is not the same as being unable to do it.
 
Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 AM
 
3,495 posts, read 2,380,367 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thoughts?
Great topic. Before we can discuss death, for me at least, we need to understand who is 'my'.
 
Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
10,429 posts, read 4,406,762 times
Reputation: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The simplest verses to explain what is necessary, from my interpretations, are these from the Quran and from the "apocryphal" book of Tobit:

Surah 98:5 - "And they are enjoined naught but to serve Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience, upright, and to keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, and that is the right religion."

Tobit 14:8-9 - "Now, my children, I give you this command: serve God in truth and do what pleases him. Train your children to do what is right and give alms, to keep God in mind at all times and praise his name in sincerity with all their strength."


I don't think it's a good thing to get into rules and what you "should" be doing, because that's how people got in trouble in the past. Focusing too much on the "law" and not understanding that the end game is for you to be a righteous person with a pure heart.
Interesting that you make this statement but fail to realize that the verses you posted do just that.

Being commanded to serve a god and being told that you must be obedient to this god is conflicts with your statement above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
IMO, anyone wanting to know "what to do" "should"start with praying, giving back to the less fortunate if you have means (sincerely and not because you get a tax break or it looks good to others ) and being a good person.
Here you go telling others what they should be doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Most of us who have a conscience of any sort have a general concept of what's "good" and what's "bad".
Yep so why do you need to be obedient and serve a god?
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
If you conscience is tugging at you...you probably shouldn't be doing whatever it is you're thinking about doing.
More rules and telling people what they should be doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
If you want to get a little more complex than that, familiarize yourself with the Old Testament/Torah and get an understanding of all the laws that the prophets say Israel is to follow "forever".
More telling a person what they should be doing and on top of that making sure I understand those laws. BTW the Old Testament is a horror story and in no way is a source I would ever turn to for inspiration or knowledge about being a moral human. It's a morally bankrupt work of fiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
There are A LOT of people who "should" be observing Passover who aren't, but God knows that many of those people don't know who they are.
There you go again telling others what they SHOULD be doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I think as long as you're trying to do right by God at this point is what matters.
Explain what doing right by god means?
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Book of Hebrews says we "should" be teachers right now but are still learning the basics.
Another example of telling others what they SHOULD do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Perfection is not required. That is what we're striving for.
Good luck with that!

Sounds like you have some contradictions to reconcile.
 
Old 11-12-2018, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
10,429 posts, read 4,406,762 times
Reputation: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
There is a few links on discussions between Mindfulness and PTSD and other issues. For example here. Basically is has not been studied closely enough for us to be definitive. But what anecdote and studies do exist - warrant extreme caution.
Thanks for the link!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
So what I find is that when you start educating people on ideas - whether the ideas have good science behind them like CBT for example - or are more nebulous and lack evidence based science like "Transactional Analysis" for example - what you do is give people a linguistic structure they can then use to actually start talking about their issues.
That sounds great but how do you get to those who are not scientifically literate and who are anti-science?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
So I would love to see a comprehensive ME curriculum here some day of which Mindfulness would only be one constituent of many. But an important one.
Yes the Westerners need to catch up with what the East has been doing for 1000's of years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Lucid Dreaming is great. My trigger is watches and light switches. For some reason in my dreams watches and light switches never work 100% normally.
My trigger is to look at my hands or look at printed words. Dialing a phone in a dream used to trigger mine but I'm always trying to make things work out in real life and I have actually mastered dialing the phone in dream. LOL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I love the split brain experiments where one split proved more religious than the other - and one split made up stories, even patently and obviously false ones - to justify the actions of the other. Very enlightening on how the mechanisms of religion work in our species. Very demoralizing though to the idea the religious compunction is ever one that our species can grow out of any time soon.
It's amazing that in the 21st Century we still see this. It's interesting how some are not religious prone but so many are.
 
Old 11-12-2018, 11:51 AM
 
Location: New Jersey (Europe Sep ‘19)
1,271 posts, read 284,419 times
Reputation: 634
Stupid question of course there is or else you wouldnt be here
 
Old 11-12-2018, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
10,429 posts, read 4,406,762 times
Reputation: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Stupid question of course there is or else you wouldnt be here
It's not a stupid question but there have been plenty of stupid answer's posted.
 
Old 11-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Status: "Snip snip snip. Delete delete delete. ;)" (set 22 hours ago)
 
3,623 posts, read 1,800,904 times
Reputation: 4974
I didn't respond to argue with you. You can either take what I said, or leave it alone. We'll all find out the truth at some point now, won't we? My advice to all those who don't believe, though, is to stop wasting your time on earth arguing with people about whether or not there is a God. I don't think that's a good way to spend the only life you're going to experience.

 
Old 11-12-2018, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
10,429 posts, read 4,406,762 times
Reputation: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I didn't respond to argue with you.
Who's arguing? No one is arguing. I simply pointed out your serious contradictions and thought you should be aware that what you stated conflicts with what you proceeded to post.

I would be very concerned if I held such contradictory beliefs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You can either take what I said, or leave it alone.
Sorry but this is not the way it works in a discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
My advice go all those who don't believe, though, is to stop wasting your time here on earth arguing with people about whether or not there is a God.
Again it's not an argument. It's a discussion and no we won't go away or stop discussing it. I advise you stop proselytizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I don't think that's a good way to spend the only life you're going to experience.
I don't think it's wise to exist in the world holding contradictory beliefs. In fact it's a waste of an entire lifetime living in delusion.
 
Old 11-12-2018, 12:29 PM
 
3,495 posts, read 2,380,367 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I didn't respond to argue with you. You can either take what I said, or leave it alone. We'll all find out the truth at some point now, won't we? My advice to all those who don't believe, though, is to stop wasting your time on earth arguing with people about whether or not there is a God. I don't think that's a good way to spend the only life you're going to experience.

Some people can never be truly happy as long as others do not think the same way as they do.

70+ years of setting the world straight, death and then burial alongside the very people one has detested all lifelong..."gee! what a smart looking corpse"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top