Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Agreed, there is the idea that consciousness is a property of the universe. But I have yet to see any evidence for this; and am always conscious (joke intended) that many people have a problem with the idea of something without a purpose, because we evolved this idea of purpose, whether one exists or not. So the idea that consciousness may just be an evolved trait is uncomfortable for some.
Consciousness is not a property of the universe? Can you show me where the property of the universe ends and begins? Show me one thing that is not a property of the universe? How are you not a property of the universe. That tree is not a property of the universe? Consciousness is not a property of the universe? I am the universe looking back at itself, it's where I came from, it is where I exist, and it is where I return to. Sounds pretty much that everything you can see or not see is a property of the universe.

And I have yet to see evidence of anything that is not a property of the universe. Where did it come from? where was it made? where was it going? Give me a hint.

How is it that everything you are, and everything you was, and everything you will be, and everything you see or know, is not a product of the universe, the whole?

And why is it that you think that Consciousness as a property of the universe and that it may evolve, to develop gradually, is either one or the other and not one and the same?

Since you were born with consciousness, I would say your consciousness has evolved a lot.

Purpose is a product of a thinking mind, and purpose does not exist without a thinking mind. The thinking mind is what gives things a purpose or not: otherwise nothing has any purpose whatsoever. You can see no purpose for a car, then a car has no purpose for you. It is an idea that gives a car purpose, not evidence. I can see lots of purposes for a car, then a car has lots of purposes for me.

No purpose for the solar system, no purpose for the leaves to fall from a tree? No purpose for the rain? I am consciousness, I see a purpose for the universe...how much consciousness does it require to see no purpose in things. Why does your heart beat, no purpose? Something causes it to beat, and something causes it to do something to cause it to beat, and something caused that, and something caused that, and on and on it goes even if consciousness can see no purpose in anything. No purpose for the universe? How hard was that for you guys to come up with and fix that opinion as evidence?

Nothing has any purpose except man and what man creates, even the air that he breaths has no purpose unless he puts it in a can and goes underwater. How dumb is that?
A headache. It is not a property of the universe, it is just a part of it. Especially at this time of year.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-02-2019 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 01-02-2019, 10:57 AM

611 posts, read 280,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
not untrue that's for sure. it seems to be more like "particles and energy" in you; tend to become the parts of you.

can you see the difference and similarity to your claim?
I see the similarity. Particles and energy of the universe is the source of what become the parts of you.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

A headache. It is not a property of the universe, it is just a part of it. Especially at this time of year.
And here I thought a property of the universe is a part of the universe.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-02-2019 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: removed extra quote tag

Old 01-02-2019, 11:26 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
I hit wrong quote.

lmao, some people just refuse to see how anything done by you is actually the universe doing it.

there is no logic around it. "artificial" is useful in communication between people, but anything we make; the universe is actually the thing that did it. its just silly to play word games around it.

It almost seems like they wilfully ignore reality to maintain a statement of belief about god (yes god or no god)

what type of god do you believe in aura? can you some it up quickly for me?

Old 01-02-2019, 01:36 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Yes, but where does a purpose come into it?

Bad quoting, this was directed at auralmack

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-02-2019 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: removed extra quote tag

Old 01-02-2019, 02:02 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:

I think I am a bit confused by some of this conversation. It appears to me that you are claiming that any property of a portion of a complex system is inherently a property of the whole system, but surely that isn't where you are going with it?

-NoCapo

Old 01-02-2019, 05:34 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
I would remove the word "inherently". Yes, it really is about traits we assign to the events we see around us. what is the single best notion that offers a mechanism, explanation, and makes predictions.

there is not one thing alive in a cell, we classify that complexity in that volume as life. A cell shares some properties with its nonliving counterpart, but it also has a lot more.

you are made up of cells. How we classify that cell is how we classify things made up of "cells". yeah, that's true enough.

what separates you from Bacteria/Eubacteria? what separates you from the cells/systems in you? You don't look like and act like a digestive system. Buut none the less ... that system is a trait of you.

well, by any reasonable sense of logic, as larger and larger portions of the universe interact with one another, what property will emerge? something that many people wouldn't predict? Using what we observe, the universe being based on hierarchy of structure, what "structure" may emerge?

well, to answer this a measurement and calculations would, at least, help. Complexity vs volume rations, compare the earth's system to living and nonliving objects, speed up the cosmos in super fast time. what patterns would we see and what do we have that we could compare it to so that we could at least make a measurement?

this process only answers what is the best description for what we are in right now. it doesn't answer any grand meaning.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

Yes, but where does a purpose come into it?

Bad quoting, this was directed at auralmack
Purpose/intent actually is a product of a mind, if there is no Mind anywhere, purpose or intent does not exist. It takes a mind to know if your heart is beating for a purpose or not, or if the fuel pump on your car has a purpose or not.

But I'm not sure what you're really asking...

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-03-2019 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: removed extra quote tag

Old 01-02-2019, 07:44 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I think I am a bit confused by some of this conversation. It appears to me that you are claiming that any property of a portion of a complex system is inherently a property of the whole system, but surely that isn't where you are going with it?
-NoCapo
The fallacy of composition is only a fallacy if you think there are SEPARATE things. IF we use the perspective of a ONENESS to everything, then there are no separate systems and any attributes of any elements in the system are attributes of the ONE system as a whole.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:32 AM

A body against itself, not working together for the whole. Selfishness.
All the parts or properties together is what we call the universe. Selflessness.

And of all the properties of the universe, Man is an entity of death and destruction upon the earth and all the universe, if possible. Man goes to mars? how's the wars going on mars? They still killing each other? Like cancer spreading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality