Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:20 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTWGA View Post
To say JWs are good because you went to a hall once with mom is nuts. One could say the same about Jim Jones and the peoples temple from one visit. I have or was a JW for 40 years. What was brought out at on the Leah Remini program was spot on. They did not add things or take anything away it was just the strait truth. The group is very controlling in its not allowing its members to vote, military, higher education its misogynistic attitudes. Then you have all the wrong dates for the end of the world. 1874 1914.16.18.25.41.75.2000 ect. The fact that Jesus supposedly came to earth invisibly in 1914 and saw that the Russellites were the only ones doing it "right" but there is virtually nothing they taught then they still hold to today.

Even though they hold the 1914 date its not the same reason. Russell taught that 14 was the end of the world and then when it passed changed it to 16 and died that year. Now its Jesus threw satan out of heaven and it started WW1 and Jesus saw that the Russellites were doing teaching the truth. LOL. Its a crazy history. From Aluminum is the devils metal to god lives in the Pleiades, and immunizations were horse puss and 1914 date was derived from the measurements of the interior passages of the great pyramids as Jehovah built them.

Even Leah said she knew a couple of JWs and thought they were the nice people who knocked on your door. She had no idea how destructive they were.
Dwight D Eisenhower, Michael Jackson, Serena Williams, Prince, George Benson, Patti Smith, Geri Halliwell.
Yes, these are all such horrible and destructive people aren't they?
PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 10:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,521 times
I like to share this video link because it's not produced by JWs nor is it produced by their detractors. It appeared on PBS as a way to introduce JWs to a public that often times misunderstands JWs and media which generally potrays JWs in a negative light.

Of note, one of the filmakers was raised as a JW but never was baptized as one. It's interesting he harbors no ill will towards JWs and that's true of a good many who for various reasons are never interested in baptism or leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj4cS4n9ZkA

Old 11-17-2018, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
I like to share this video link because it's not produced by JWs nor is it produced by their detractors. It appeared on PBS as a way to introduce JWs to a public that often times misunderstands JWs and media which generally potrays JWs in a negative light.

Of note, one of the filmakers was raised as a JW but never was baptized as one. It's interesting he harbors no ill will towards JWs and that's true of a good many who for various reasons are never interested in baptism or leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj4cS4n9ZkA
WOW. What a power 8 minute clip. I would love to watch the entire thing. (Produced by PBS apparently)

To me, the Jehova's Witnesses are a group of social justice. But before seeing this, I had never even heard about their work against the Nazis. They took a STAND against Hitler. This country has religious bias for sure. It sucks.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:35 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
People staying in JW's is a data point. In my youth, I just saw them as stupid people. then i realized, calling them stupid is like calling a zebra being a zebra stupid ... its a meaningless term.

It got me wondering so many years ago, how would an atheist, with the same brain state of people like JW's followers, express atheism?

Old 11-17-2018, 04:11 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
WOW. What a power 8 minute clip. I would love to watch the entire thing. (Produced by PBS apparently)

To me, the Jehova's Witnesses are a group of social justice. But before seeing this, I had never even heard about their work against the Nazis. They took a STAND against Hitler. This country has religious bias for sure. It sucks.
Yeah, no Ozzy, it's not like that. Is what they are litigating is the rights of the followers to carry out the commands of the Watchtower using religious freedom as a guise. I had the right not to salute the flag as a child as so ordered by the Watchtower. A person has the right to die refusing medical treatment the Watchtower has deemed displeasing to God. The Watchtower calls it persecution when the courts intervene in the case of a child.

That Hitler thing...the Watchtower didn't stand up to Hitler. The Watchtower has a long history of putting it's members in harm's way. Just like they did to the people in Malawi and just like in Russia today. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if creating sympathy through martyrs is on the game plan. They don't care one iota for these people they use.

By the way, saying someone is part of a destructive group is not the same as saying they are destructive. Reasonable people can be taken in by scams too.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:13 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
People staying in JW's is a data point. In my youth, I just saw them as stupid people. then i realized, calling them stupid is like calling a zebra being a zebra stupid ... its a meaningless term.

It got me wondering so many years ago, how would an atheist, with the same brain state of people like JW's followers, express atheism?
What do you mean by brain state?

Old 11-17-2018, 06:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What do you mean by brain state?
I mean one's brain configuration. things like cluster a-b-c, or adult child of abuse or just mentally ill. and levels of such.

I losely think of people's brain state, not in calendar years, but in brain state configurations. Like a child, adolescent, teenager, young adult, and adult. Think of how each of these stages would express a belief statement about god. About anything really.

List how they would defend and/or justify a statement of belief about god, either for or against, it doesn't matter. Simply ... How would a 15 - 17 year old defend his/or her belief system? a 20 year old? and 45 year old?

The term used is executive functioning. Think of executive functioning development and think of how these functions express belief when they do not mature or are broken in some way. they break in many ways. addiction, abuse, injury, just don't grow up, many ways affect it.

How would we see it in a forum setting?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:44 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTWGA View Post
O Nov 13th A&E has a special on Jehovah's Witnesses. The child abuse two witness rule if causing a lot of court cases that are being won across the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzdeGe5Im90
Funny, it says Scientology and the trailer is talking about JWs and at the end of the trailer it says it’s about Scientology...

Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Funny, it says Scientology and the trailer is talking about JWs and at the end of the trailer it says it’s about Scientology...
Leah Remini was a famous Scientologist who recently left Scientology and has been criticizing it. That could be why the video was labelled that way.

But she is now doing this similar report on Jehova's Witnesses, and I have seen her interviewing former JW's. Why? I don't know.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:05 PM

I think it kind of SUCKS the way Leah Remini is so critical of Scientology and JWs. I listened to part of her lengthy interview with Joe Rogan and she talked about being raised by a harsh Catholic father. And I read that she recently has returned to Catholicism. I don't know how serious her Catholic beliefs are, though. There are many people who become Catholic practicing just as a way of organizing their private spirituality, which is often nothing more than general Theism. And that is fine. Something tells me that she is more traditionally minded, since she has been so critical of the two smaller religions. Other members would not feel so negatively about the JWs due to their personalities. I would love to see her criticizing evangelical Christianity or something larger like that, so I think she is a hypocrite in attacking the smaller and weaker groups the way that she has.
It's almost like bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality