U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-15-2018, 02:37 PM
 
2,968 posts, read 927,892 times
Reputation: 570

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And why would we even consider that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Try thinking about it.
Thinking is fundy kryptonite

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2018, 02:45 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,324 posts, read 4,445,058 times
Reputation: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Thinking is fundy kryptonite

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]
It's rather ironic that they would have to lean on their own understanding in order to "understand" that proverb about Submission/"Islam" to God. So human of us people to make such mistakes as religions not seen as false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 03:19 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
15,535 posts, read 8,438,105 times
Reputation: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Because we think beyond "hungry...eat", "cold...blanket", etc. We want to know why.
Exactly my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
15,535 posts, read 8,438,105 times
Reputation: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
yet, you say only your interpretation of a higher being/ creator is correct?
Doesn’t everyone believe their own interpretation, you included?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 03:31 PM
 
Location: california
5,511 posts, read 4,663,912 times
Reputation: 6471
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and lean not unto thine own understanding,
and in all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths .

Jesus provided the Holy Spirit so we can have fellowship with God .this relationship can grow into a relationship of trust.
My human perspective(understanding) is limited both by my physical inability to see all things and know the future even with all the latest technology .
By turning to God for direction, I both am guided through situations, and around them ,or to those in need or those that help me. Oft times because I choose to seek God's intervention, extraordinary provisions are given me, I have had no influence in what so ever on the human scale.
God can prepare the way for those that will obey Him .
Matthew 7;21,22,23, Jesus said, " Not every one that says to me Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven but he that does the will of the Father."
One cannot do the will of the Father unless they know His voice, one cannot know His voice with out the Holy Spirit .one cannot have the Holy Spirit with out Jesus actual Lordship. Some one else cannot substitute for this relationship .
I did not make the rules He did.
Jesus said ," Blessed are they that DO hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled."
Religion is not righteousness , Righteousness is an obedient walk with the Father.
God is not a task master, I cooperate with Him, and He sees to my need .
I trust in the Lord with all my heart, and set my own understanding aside, because some times, though I can't see the path ahead the way He can, and He gives guidance through it.
I still can choose my own understanding, but the results are not the same, and the good that might have been accomplished is not .
Hind sight is 20/20 . Some things are repairable but some things are not .
Choosing rebellion, ( self govern) is a loose / loose situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 03:58 PM
 
35,687 posts, read 9,508,475 times
Reputation: 4884
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Thinking is fundy kryptonite

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]
All the way to exile in Babylon, in which case the catch 22 get -out. God allowed that to happen because though they were faithful, they weren't faithful enough. The beautiful catch is that you can NEVER be Faithful enough, so when God fails to save your ass, it's never because the divine election promise has failed to deliver - it was always because you didn't deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:21 PM
 
7,888 posts, read 4,677,465 times
Reputation: 9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What the heck kind of question is that?

I would hope it would be the former, but one never knows what one would do until one is in a specific situation. If my child were attempting to kill me, it could conceivably be the latter, no?
What do you mean, what kind of question is it?

I place more importance on my child's life than I do on my own. That's true of most parents. Protect, nurture, and care for offspring at all costs. Yet, you did not agree with my statement that most parents consider their children to be greater than themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
15,535 posts, read 8,438,105 times
Reputation: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If it was, it is curious that the churches that purport to Honor His Will so often regard the results of answering the questions that 'yearning' raises (by science) with distrust, dislike and often, denial.


Because we are aware. We are a pack animal, so we have an instinct of social position and individuality. We (like all critters) have an evolved desire to survive and avoid death. We have an advanced problem -solving ability. And we have what I also think is an evolved survival instinct - curiosity. I argue that all these things combine to give us a big question as to the value of humans, as a species, as groups and as individuals.

I became aware as a schoolboy of the artificiality of patriotism. A group of friends went to a different school, were put in different 'Houses' and in a few months had become enemies, pretty much. I see the same thing with people who are the same, in culture, language, religion, even food. And because someone drew a line across a map there they are, shaking banners and sabres at one another. Idiocy.

This isn't put into our heads by a God, it is put into our heads by evolution. It's the same with the question of existence, art and culture and indeed the instinct to religion.

I don't worship Darwin, but perhaps you should.
Perhaps we are aware there exists a higher being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
15,535 posts, read 8,438,105 times
Reputation: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Thinking is fundy kryptonite

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]
Nonsense! I have considered my choices and beliefs and continue to do so, now for 50+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:27 PM
 
7,888 posts, read 4,677,465 times
Reputation: 9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Perhaps we are aware there exists a higher being.
Perhaps. Or perhaps we just want there to be a higher being of some sort.

We want an answer; that doesn't mean an answer is obligated to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top