Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 06:44 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
levels of faith. I don't do blind faith.

I have faith that our system for building bridges works. i have faith that how I see the universe working is more valid than "deny everything". My understanding of science help us produce cell phones. "Deny anything and everything because of how I feel about religion" produced nothing.

In fact, "deny everything" and "blind faith in dude died, woke up, and flew away" get to take the easy way out. they are cop outs. and "bash everything I don't agree with" is just mean.
The universe is chemistry. How can one understand the universe without understanding the element table? ...which contains unknown elements; "we know they must be there because of how they behave with other known elements".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:00 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That's also dependent on one's view of chromosome II.
And your view is?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:06 AM

16,752 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
So, there's '0' probability for a/any Higher Power(s)?

Depends on your definition of a higher power, but it is as close to 0 for an all knowing god who created the universe.

Now something like the Vorlons ...

Old 11-16-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
And your view is?
Honestly, I haven't viewed it under a microscope.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:07 AM

16,752 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
And your view is?

... dangerous in the Religion and Spirituality section.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
... dangerous in the Religion and Spirituality section.
To who?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
from even simpler forms. And simpler and simpler ones until we are looking ar biochemicals sloshing about in a warm Archeon sea until one of them replicated. No. I didn't see it happen, and it probably won't show up in the fossil record. But given what we know about the early earth, that life first appeared in the sea and took a couple of billion years to appear on land, the biochemical building blocks of RNA and the fossil record of single cells, it makes a pretty good story.

What does creation have? No mechanism, just magic.

Yes, because not knowing means that claiming that you have faith in one of the possibilities (aside there is no decent evidence for it) is not a rational position. This is logic for kindergarten. If that seems disparaging, that's tough, because that's the way it is.

If you want to say you have Faith - fine. Just don't disparage those who don't.
If you want to say that you have Faith - fine; just don't say that you have logic and science on your side.
If you want to have faith and say that logic and science is mere human opinion - fine; just don't try to argue logic or science, ever again.
So, science still can’t tell us how life began. Why you think a creator is “magic”, I do not understand. But, at this point, the only logical conclusion is a creator, of some sort. I don’t need faith to understand that.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
One might ask whether God is a living entity. If so, what logical option would you propose for the beginning of this life?
Are you proposing infinite causation? This ^^^ is a weak argument. The creator of anything is always greater than the created. It is entirely possible that the creator has always existed or exists outside of time as we know it. Some believe the universe may have always existed. Why is it considered a leap to believe the same about a creator?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Perhaps many simply believe there exists a higher being. But without any evidence, mathematics and logic show they are most likely wrong.
A creator/mover is the only logical conclusion, at this point. Science cannot tell us how life began.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Arguing with a fundie is akin to arguing with a doorknob. Except doorknobs have a better grasp of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality