Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 03:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
A non sequitur is a logical fallacy, not a logical conclusion.
Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
There is nothing that's absolutely infallible...everything requires faith to give it merit, to a greater or lesser degree. But that doesn't keep things from "making sense" to some, many, or most...including religion.
Yep.

"Makes sense to me" can even be a feeling instead of a thought. Mutually contradicting feelings and thoughts are rampant with lack of wisely spread/sorted facts.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:14 PM

62 posts, read 33,415 times
If religion made sense, there would be a lot of deserted churches and mosques across the planet.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
If religion made sense, there would be a lot of deserted churches and mosques across the planet.
There would also probably be a bunch of bored people, tired of life given their genetics.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Now, I'm not even sure what some of you atheists are arguing. Trans, if I'm not mistaken you have been open to the idea of a nonreligious creator, haven't you?

What I think is amusing is how an atheist will say, "If there was a God he wasn't a very good one. I could have done it a lot better". Well, have you stopped to think about the fact that you can even IMAGINE something better than what exists now? Do you honestly think that a created being could imagine something better than the creator could? Think about it. If the alleged God was really that stupid, your imagination or personal/ideal vision would not be that good.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:09 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
And a higher than that, and a higher than that, and a higher than that - where do you stop?
I stop at 50 AU's.

past that is way to far off of the observational curve.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No origin for those laws? How can laws be put in place without a starter of some sort?
yes there was an origin.

But why would you jump to an all powerful omni thing-a-***?

Why couldn't the universe just have been "born"? Like every other living thing we see?

why couldn't univers just make other universe? like using black holes? which actually gets us back to born, but you see what I mean?

or branes, quantium soup, or whatever?

Old 11-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
or at least they would understand that freedom of religion means freedom for all expressions of belief.

or apply the same rigor to their own beliefs as they do other beliefs?

or maybe it would mean applying the scientific method to their own beliefs.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:43 PM

62 posts, read 33,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Now, I'm not even sure what some of you atheists are arguing. Trans, if I'm not mistaken you have been open to the idea of a nonreligious creator, haven't you?

What I think is amusing is how an atheist will say, "If there was a God he wasn't a very good one. I could have done it a lot better". Well, have you stopped to think about the fact that you can even IMAGINE something better than what exists now? Do you honestly think that a created being could imagine something better than the creator could? Think about it. If the alleged God was really that stupid, your imagination or personal/ideal vision would not be that good.
You are falsely trying to pigeon hole atheists into things we have not said. Why the deception by these false accusations? What drives such deception? You are free to envision your god however you like, but you are NOT free to define the perspectives of others.

There is no god, thus being good or bad isn't an issue.

Now there is the god of the Bible existing solely in the minds of men, and depending on which bible people read, and the perspective of the person advocating for there vision of a god, some are some really unpleasant chaps.

As Anne Lamott said; “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”

Old 11-17-2018, 10:11 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes. As all atheists are - or at least atheist rationale is.

Quote:
Ah. Nice one But wrong I think, because you are confusing sortagod with Biblegod. Yes, the universe, Life and everything is more than any human could possibly imagine. IF there was an intelligent creator behind that, I would not presume to find fault with exploding stars or black holes simply because I am aware of how much I can't know about it.

But, when you get down to Biblegod, there we are on firmer ground. Merely applying humans' ethical/moral codes, we can see what's Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, with the Bible and can justifiably say: "I could be a more just and loving god than this. Even without omnipotence or omniscience". And that's what the Believers are saying, too, every time they try to explain away the bad stuff -because they know it's bad, even though you wouldn't know it from the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality