Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 10:00 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Atheism will only make sense when you are discussing it in your little atheist groups. No one else outside the group is going to buy it.

Only atheists are atheists? I never knew.

And how do you know religious people understand why we are atheists but still remain religious? You do not. You just make facts up, and use words like "little" to make it look like we are a small minority.

Do you ever have a honest point?

Quote:
None of the great minds of past or present have ever bought it, including Einstein, Darwin, or especially, Newton who Trans seems to think was an idiot (or something like that) since he was a theist. Isaac Newton was NOT an idiot by any means.
Apart from the many great minds who were atheists. Try Googling first before making things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 10:57 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,656 times
Quote:
Atheism will only make sense when you are discussing it in your little atheist groups. No one else outside the group is going to buy it. None of the great minds of past or present have ever bought it, including Einstein, Darwin, or especially, Newton who Trans seems to think was an idiot (or something like that) since he was a theist. Isaac Newton was NOT an idiot by any means.
Isaac Newton was one of the finest minds ever produced by the human race. But he was under a handicap. Isaac Newton died in 1726. He didn't know that energy can neither be created or destroyed. He didn't know that matter is one of the forms that energy takes. Isaac Newton had no concept of quantum mechanics, or general and special relativity. Which is the reason he was only able to explain how gravity works, but not why. Had Newton been aware of the advancements in scientific knowledge that occurred after he died, it might very well have altered many of his religious conclusions. The way Einstein's religious conclusions were altered as he got older.

Albert Einstein was born in 1879 and was given a Jewish upbringing. Einstein was a devout Jew as a boy. During the course of his life however, Einstein came to understand that energy can neither be created or destroyed, that matter is one of the forms that energy takes, the principles of general and special relativity, and quantum mechanics. By the time Einstein died in 1955 he was the very definition of an agnostic. Einstein in his own words:

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions." -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.
Think Einstein believed in God? You probably haven’t read this letter he wrote in 1954 – DeadState

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." (Albert Einstein, 1954)
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/967...you-read-about

Charles Darwin was baptized into the Christian faith and was a member of the church of England as a youngster. Charles Darwin in his own words:

"During these two years I was led to think much about religion. Whilst on board the Beagle I was quite orthodox, & I remember being heartily laughed at by several of the officers (though themselves orthodox) for quoting the Bible as an unanswerable authority on some point of morality. I suppose it was the novelty of the argument that amused them. But I had gradually come, by this time, to see that the Old Testament from its manifestly false history of the world, with the Tower of Babel, rainbow as a sign, etc., etc., and from its attributing to God the feelings of a revengeful tyrant, was no more to be trusted than the sacred books of the Hindoos, or the beliefs of any barbarian."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...Charles_Darwin

When it comes to explaining existence, religion is no longer the only game in town as it has been since the earliest beginnings of human questioning. Now that other, scientifically concrete answers are available, religion is only one generation from going extinct. And as non belief continues to become mainstream, and therefore no longer unthinkable, that is exactly what we are seeing.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:13 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Atheism will only make sense when you are discussing it in your little atheist groups. No one else outside the group is going to buy it. None of the great minds of past or present have ever bought it, including Einstein, Darwin, or especially, Newton who Trans seems to think was an idiot (or something like that) since he was a theist. Isaac Newton was NOT an idiot by any means.
Almost entirely back to front because you are (you feel) defending Christianity against those nasty hatefui atheists who are out to get It.

Atheism makes perfect sense except in that (admittedly huge) pool of believers who won't credit it - especially when it is presented in the caricature that theism uses (1) What is worse is that I already explained that the 'great minds of the past' only bought the Christian -creation claim because it was (until Darwin) the only theory on the table. Even then, their valuable work was done through science, not through Religion. Indeed they would maintain the science against religion, if need be. Note Copernicus and of course Galileo.

Nobody respects Newton, nor indeed Einstein, more than I do. But that does not mean that they cannot be wrong - especially where they allow personal conviction to preclude evidence. That is why Newton wasted time on Astrology, Alchemy and Daniel. It is why Einstein refused to accept Quantum theory - because he believed in a quasi -intelligent order in the universe. He of course denied that he believed in any personal god or religion, and I believe wrote that people would think of him as an atheist.

Darwin of course began as a Goddunnit -believer and initially set out to use his research to show how it worked. We all know the result. He made God unnecessary. That wasn't why he lost Godfaith though (2). But lose it, he did.

(1) I must mention how appalled I was at the terrible article on atheism in the Stanford Encyclopaedia. If that wasn't written by a Creationist Christian who didn't understand atheism and didn't want to ..**koff***plantinga..***koff***... it couldn't be any worse if it was.
(2) I was rather surprised that you mentioned Darwin. Most Biblesuckers at least know that he was non-theist. Possibly you had heard Lady Hope Grant's Lie - for -Jesus about Darwin's deathbed recantation and conversion, refuted and debunked by Darwin's family.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-18-2018 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 12:27 PM

62 posts, read 33,410 times
Quote:
You are 99.9% atheist.

There are hundreds/thousands of gods you don't believe in. An atheist has only 1 more on our list, and for the very same reason you don't believe in all the other gods.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:35 PM

I believe that Ozzy knows this (at least deep down inside) because he is doing a revised leap of faith from a "you can't disprove it" possible Creator to...the Bible and Christianity....but without defending either the Bible or the god in it but using the 'we need it, true or not' apologetic. I see a near deconvert there who is fighting like mad for reasons to keep on believing. That usually involves fighting us.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I believe that Ozzy knows this (at least deep down inside) because he is doing a revised leap of faith from a "you can't disprove it" possible Creator to...the Bible and Christianity....but without defending either the Bible or the god in it but using the 'we need it, true or not' apologetic. I see a near deconvert there who is fighting like mad for reasons to keep on believing. That usually involves fighting us.
Ozzy's got one foot on the boat of belief and the other on the dock of reason and he's doing the splits.*

(I've done this twice. Had one foot in the boat and one on the dock. Both times it ended in a baptism of sorts...)

Old 11-18-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ozzy's got one foot on the boat of belief and the other on the dock of reason and he's doing the splits.*

(I've done this twice. Had one foot in the boat and one on the dock. Both times it ended in a baptism of sorts...)
I love that metaphor and although you haven't gone atheist, although you still have a sortatheist faith...you have dropped all the animosity towards atheists and atheism. Which is all that we'd ask. I have a got a feeling that Ozzy will end up there.

I could be wrong

Old 11-18-2018, 02:40 PM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Quote:
How many times are you going to post the same remarks that even you know don't make any sense.

What are these little atheist groups you just mentioned? Please be specific.

How would you know if someone living in Newton's age was a non-believer? Blasphemy was a capital offense.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:06 PM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
That's not true. I am not an atheist, and atheism makes sense to me.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:11 PM

605 posts, read 335,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
faith would not be required.
If how we got here made sense
If how we suddenly cease to exist made sense.
Then we wouldn't need a book to un-ravel the mysteries
T0 those intent on actually un-raveling the future
He reveals the mysteries of himself to them

The rest, all they live in is darkness
Wish it wasn't so.

I wish cancer didn't kill people, wildfires, earthquakes but it is so.
though it makes no sense either
Bad worldly philosophical basis for a discussion imho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality