U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,156 posts, read 559,216 times
Reputation: 520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Can't read your comment, but a reasonable response would probably be that you still wouldn't believe. You've made up your mind, and don't really care about what makes sense.
The usual unreasonable excuse. We have 'made up our mind' because we do care about what makes sense. The different Christianities do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:47 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,156 posts, read 559,216 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What makes sense to you may not make sense to someone else, and vice a versa.
This is how we are - 7 Billion of us.

For example, it may make perfect sense to you but it does not make sense to me to think that the entire universe and everything in it, came together all by itself.
Yet that almost 7 billion can not agree on which religion makes sense. Otherwise there would only be one religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:48 AM
 
2,403 posts, read 1,350,650 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Thus you've always existed in some state? at least to this point in time?
Gosh no. I would never make it during the Carboniferous period unless there was a Publix supermarket nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,156 posts, read 559,216 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So what would you like to have instead?

Everyone would have been born a believer with no choice, and no ability to reason?
Why would they not be able to reason?

As to the choice, at least it would prevent a large number of souls being torture for eternity (if your god actually existed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:51 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,156 posts, read 559,216 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How about a religion that makes sense? Let's call it Nicetism. Nicetists consider empathy and compassion to be the highest of human qualities and strive to care for the less fortunate, even at some cost to themselves, both in time and money. Their "niceness" extends to animals and other living things* as well.

They believe that being nice brings its own rewards in this life and the next life, if there is one, will probably also be nice.

No judgmental god-thing. No hell-threat. No arcane rules and rituals. No need to accept on faith, that which cannot be known. Just caring for each other and the planet because to do otherwise makes no sense at all.




*Except, of course, fundies and mosquitoes.
Nicetism? Whales that go Ni?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:55 AM
 
3,478 posts, read 2,370,457 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Gosh no. I would never make it during the Carboniferous period unless there was a Publix supermarket nearby.
At what point in time did you come into existence? The father carries the spermatozoa. Spermatozoa carry spermatozoa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,156 posts, read 559,216 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The creator of anything is always greater than the created.
Not only does your assertion lack evidence, if true, it would make your god most improbable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 04:57 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,156 posts, read 559,216 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
An acorn comes from an oak tree which comes from an acorn and so on. Neither creates the other. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Try again.
Snow flakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 05:01 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,156 posts, read 559,216 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I have absolutely no problem in sticking with faith when it comes to who created it?

And in my understanding, you are sticking with faith as well when you say, ďIt was not GodĒ, because you donít have an evidence either.

We all are sticking with the faith in this matter - we donít really know and we donít have an evidence.
Except we do. Using probability, we can come to a probable solution for a god, and an even more probable solution for God with a capital 'G'.

We also have Christian arguments, many actually proving their version of their god can not exist.

And logically, it there is no evidence for the positive claim, then the odds are that the positive claim is false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,156 posts, read 559,216 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I've never declared anything happened according to a predetermined plan.

Right now, we're trying to figure when one comes into existence or if they've always existed.
I came into existence a few hours after my parents had sex. The parts that I am made of came into existence with the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top