Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 05:52 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No. The repeated evidence of what you do (or fail to do) makes it so, despite your denial. Am I going to have to do a 'Mystic' on you and ask everyone to note when you get debunked otherwise you'll simply deny it?
I haven’t seen any evidence that has shaken my belief in a creator. All I’ve seen is that science explains what has happened since the Big Bang. I do not disagree with that. What I haven’t seen is another logical option for how life began.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 06:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I haven’t seen any evidence that has shaken my belief in a creator. All I’ve seen is that science explains what has happened since the Big Bang. I do not disagree with that. What I haven’t seen is another logical option for how life began.
And so you've decided it must be the god-thing(s) as described in your favourite collection of old Christian pamphlets.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:39 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Then you can't have been paying much attention as several hypothetical mechanisms for the start of life (and even a semi -hypothesis for the something -from -nothing universe) have been put, as compared to nothing other than wand -waving from the theist side.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
That depends whether the egg was a chicken egg or an almost -a -chicken -egg. Think it through again.

But we do have evidence - positive and negative. We have evidence that life was an evolutionary progression from some simple forms to a myriad of complex ones. We also have negative evidence in that no creator other than natural processes is needed for any of them. That same applies to cosmic evolution. I don't deny that the origins of the Universe, Life and Everything are not known, but the evidence is not in favour of an Intelligent Creator and it is in favour of natural processes. Take Faith out of the equation and the logical position of "The god -claim really has nothing going for it" is inevitable.

It is false to claim that it's "Faith" on both sides. Your Understanding is flawed.
These simple forms, where did they come from?

Old 11-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
That depends whether the egg was a chicken egg or an almost -a -chicken -egg. Think it through again.

But we do have evidence - positive and negative. We have evidence that life was an evolutionary progression from some simple forms to a myriad of complex ones. We also have negative evidence in that no creator other than natural processes is needed for any of them. That same applies to cosmic evolution. I don't deny that the origins of the Universe, Life and Everything are not known, but the evidence is not in favour of an Intelligent Creator and it is in favour of natural processes. Take Faith out of the equation and the logical position of "The god -claim really has nothing going for it" is inevitable.

It is false to claim that it's "Faith" on both sides. Your Understanding is flawed.
So, the origin of life is not known and you admit a creator is at least a possibility. Yet, you disparage those of us who believe in a creator.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:43 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
These simple forms, where did they come from?

from even simpler forms. And simpler and simpler ones until we are looking ar biochemicals sloshing about in a warm Archeon sea until one of them replicated. No. I didn't see it happen, and it probably won't show up in the fossil record. But given what we know about the early earth, that life first appeared in the sea and took a couple of billion years to appear on land, the biochemical building blocks of RNA and the fossil record of single cells, it makes a pretty good story.

What does creation have? No mechanism, just magic.

Quote:
So, the origin of life is not known and you admit a creator is at least a possibility. Yet, you disparage those of us who believe in a creator.
Yes, because not knowing means that claiming that you have faith in one of the possibilities (aside there is no decent evidence for it) is not a rational position. This is logic for kindergarten. If that seems disparaging, that's tough, because that's the way it is.

If you want to say you have Faith - fine. Just don't disparage those who don't.
If you want to say that you have Faith - fine; just don't say that you have logic and science on your side.
If you want to have faith and say that logic and science is mere human opinion - fine; just don't try to argue logic or science, ever again.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:15 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
An acorn comes from an oak tree which comes from an acorn and so on. Neither creates the other. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Try again.
Don't leave us hanging now - which one did come first?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
from even simpler forms. And simpler and simpler ones until we are looking ar biochemicals sloshing about in a warm Archeon sea until one of them replicated. No. I didn't see it happen
Yes, we know you didn’t see it but why you stopped at biochemical sloshing in a warm sea? Why not keep on going and going till you find the beginning and what started it all?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:33 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
One might ask whether God is a living entity. If so, what logical option would you propose for the beginning of this life?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
One might ask whether God is a living entity. If so, what logical option would you propose for the beginning of this life?
It is beyond human understanding and always will be. What makes you think that primates could possibly understand these things, or could even begin to speculate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality