Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I can't help but agree that it does prove that "Jesus" is imaginary. Jesus could - and surely should - either have made his mission succeed. It would be a world triumph for US Christianity. How could it not happen?

Or, on the other hand, if God answers any prayers or talks to his people at all, ever, he should have talked to him. "John, this is not what you should be doing. You had warnings. Give this up and do something else". But the Jesus that Chau listened to was the Jesus in his own head, and nowhere else.

This is the latest in a line of propaganda coups for atheism (done of course for us by the religious side ). But I do feel for the man and his family and see it as somewhat ghoulish to make publicity out of it. But, the attempts to make it a Christian propaganda out of it by making him a martyr...well, they started it.
Excellent, Trans as usual. I'd like to combine what you say here with what I said in post #354

Quote:
I think you're getting at Mike555's point that Jesus doesn't promise protection for his followers. Mark 16:9-20 presents a gargantuan problem for the "The Bible is inerrant" crowd. Mark 16:9-20 is an errancy so the Bible is not the perfect word of God. But the other problem is that in numerous places in the Bible Jesus does promise protection to those that follow him. I've listed them elsewhere but you probably missed it. These promises would cover the apostles when they went out on their mission:

"But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. 2 Thessalonians 3_3

"...says the LORD. “I will protect them from those who malign them.” Psalm 12_5

"You preserve my life. With your right hand you save me." Psalm 138_7

“I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and have been saved from my enemies. 2 Samuel 22_4

John Chau wrote in his diary, "God, I don't want to die". God promised to protect him. He called on God/Jesus to protect him and God/Jesus was nowhere to be found to keep his promise to John Chau. [Matthew 4:4 please] explain that.
And I'd like to point out that Matthew 4:4 never bothered to answer my question for the simple reason he couldn't.

>>>>>>>> People reading this I want you to reason this out:

Jesus said in Matthew 28:19-20

Quote:
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Jesus commanded John Chau to go to the Sentinel Islands and its people to preach the gospel. Jesus said "to ALL NATIONS". Jesus promised he would be with John Chau when he went. Someone here said that maybe Jesus didn't want Chau to to go. Why would that be when we clearly have Jesus' command that Chau SHOULD go. Yet Chau didn't get the first chance to preach to the natives before he was killed.

What kind of logical sense does this make--Jesus commanding Chau to go there and then letting him get killed before he has a chance to utter a word of salvation to the people???????

IT ONLY MAKES SENSE IF WE CONCLUDE THAT JESUS IS IMAGINARY--THAT HE NEVER SAID THIS BECAUSE HE NEVER ROSE FROM THE DEAD. THAT THESE WORDS OF JESUS WERE INVENTED BY CRAFTY CHURCHMEN TO SAVE THEIR NEW RELIGION FROM GOING EXTINCT

So Jesus is only in the imaginations of Christians who claim to have regular communication with him. Externally there isn't a whit of evidence Jesus interacts with this world, much less answers prayers and helps missionaries like Chau and thousands of others in any way whatsoever who regularly get slaughtered by the native people they go to to teach the gospel.

CONCLUSIVE PROOF BEYOND A SHADOW OF DOUBT JESUS IS IMAGINARY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
it is certainly very persuasive evidence that whatever John Chau had in his head directing him to a mission that in fact failed was not Jesus. And if something that convinced him that much wasn't - what can we believe really is Jesus, no matter how much it convinces those who get it in their heads?

Old 12-06-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
it is certainly very persuasive evidence that whatever John Chau had in his head directing him to a mission that in fact failed was not Jesus. And if something that convinced him that much wasn't - what can we believe really is Jesus, no matter how much it convinces those who get it in their heads?
Certainly true. If I am convinced the earth is flat then nothing anyone says in here---scientist, astronomer, intergalatic visitors--is going to persuade me otherwise. But there are a few Christians with open minds like I was who can have their minds changed if sufficient evidence is presented. That's why we toil here--not to convince the hardcore Christians---they cannot be persuaded---but to plant seeds of doubt in the minds of those Christians who can be persuaded to investigate on their own and discover for themselves Jesus is a sham.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 PM

That's the Plan, as they say . And maybe great minds think alike ( so to speak) but every now and again, I come across some atheist tirade on site that contains an argument uncannily like one I posted.

Come on, Matt, come clean. Are you getting some of your best argument from me?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Most historians do agree Jesus existed, as stated by renowned atheist and bible scholar Francesca Stavrakopoulo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q46tjUQatgI

A lot of the OT she disagrees is historically correct though.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Most historians do agree Jesus existed, as stated by renowned atheist and bible scholar Francesca Stavrakopoulo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q46tjUQatgI

A lot of the OT she disagrees is historically correct though.
I have watched this video and several others Francesca regularly appear in on The Big Question. Why don't you give the whole picture. She agrees Jesus probably existed but in no way was he divine or rose from the dead.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 PM

She's easy on the eyes, ain't she. And I'm personally sure that a real Jesus existed, and even did quite a bit of the stuff in the NT. There is also archaeolical evidence that a house of David existed, and so I'm prepared to give benefit of doubt that David really did exist - though really very little of the stories about him are true, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVBldyy_Oo

And we know, of course, that the siege of Jerusalem by Sennacherib, the Siege of Tyre by Alexander and no doubt by Nebuchadnezzar before that were true. Prof. Stavrakopoulou can't rule out that much of the Bible was intended as history - or at least historical -style propaganda.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
She's easy on the eyes, ain't she. And I'm personally sure that a real Jesus existed, and even did quite a bit of the stuff in the NT. There is also archaeolical evidence that a house of David existed, and so I'm prepared to give benefit of doubt that David really did exist - though really very little of the stories about him are true, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVBldyy_Oo

And we know, of course, that the siege of Jerusalem by Sennacherib, the Siege of Tyre by Alexander and no doubt by Nebuchadnezzar before that were true. Prof. Stavrakopoulou can't rule out that much of the Bible was intended as history - or at least historical -style propaganda.
Yes, proving once again you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Certainly true. If I am convinced the earth is flat then nothing anyone says in here---scientist, astronomer, intergalatic visitors--is going to persuade me otherwise. But there are a few Christians with open minds like I was who can have their minds changed if sufficient evidence is presented. That's why we toil here--not to convince the hardcore Christians---they cannot be persuaded---but to plant seeds of doubt in the minds of those Christians who can be persuaded to investigate on their own and discover for themselves Jesus is a sham.
Why? What does that do for you? Anyway, this idiot doesn't prove Jesus doesn't exist.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I would assume he did when he left the third time and told them not to wait, implying that he would not return...Why would he not take his diary along?...
Forgot? Noteriety? leaving the record behind to set it strait to his conscious? Becuase he could take a new notebook with him as a new diary?

The only reason he would take it with him would be if he was fine with no one ever accessing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality