U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you believe humans are a part of nature?
Yes 43 86.00%
No 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 AM

13,040 posts, read 14,209,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No, you read it right here on CD. Hard to believe, isn't it!
You know me, doubting Thomas if there ever was one ! I still don't believe it. I think I must be hallucinating. I better stay off the brownies and milk, it's obviously more potent than I thought ! And they're not even "funny" brownies if you know what I mean.

I must have stumbled upon a hidden new parallel world. I think I'll try to get back to reality. If you meet the Easter Bunny and the little cookie Fairies , please send them my way, they could have their uses !

Sometimes on this forum I feel like Alice in La-la land !
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 AM

5,810 posts, read 6,888,777 times
Smile Oh yes!

I'm a strong believer that the Native American Indians have always been on the right path. We are a big part of nature and it is our responsibility to take care and help nature.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 AM

2,341 posts, read 1,563,551 times
"Philosophy and religion - what are they when the wind blows and the water gets up in lumps?"
- William Golding, Rights of Passage (1980)

Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM

285 posts, read 350,816 times
I am a strong believer in that there is no path at all.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:02 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,672,475 times
I'm special because I have a bald head. Thus.. I'm not a part of nature.. cause its natural to have hair on your head.

Bigthirst - 1
Nature - 0

Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,726,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Can anyone really believe that we are not part of Nature ? Wow.
Really.
I avoided opening this thread for a long time because I thought my head may explode if I read its contents (I'm fine so far).

The question does interest me, though, because this implication is overall the #1 Reason that I will never be able to accept the Christian religion.

I won't bore everybody with pages of reasons why humans are indeed a part of nature, but volumes could be filled...
The fact that some religions place human life above all other forms of life (even to the point of saying that humans are NOT EVEN part of nature!!) is, at its core, the most delusional and arrogant thing that humans have come up with yet. And it is dangerous. This thinking justifies all of the many obscene ways that humans desecrate their own environment and make life less enjoyable for all natural beings. After all, what's to stop us from destroying the atmosphere if all that matters is the afterlife? Why not go ahead and torture and kill all the other animals to the point of extinction? After all, we like to eat them and God says it's fine to do what we want to them. They're just part of silly, old "nature" anyway.

Don't get me wrong - I realize that we don't need religion as a justification to do the things I just listed - humans will do them anyway.
What bothers me is that religion can take an otherwise compassionate person and turn their hearts cold to the plight of nature, because nature apparently doesn't matter - only God or whatever one worships does.

OK, I need to stop now because I think some of my hair just caught fire.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 PM

Manís survival on this earth is based on an artificial adaptation of the environment to make up for our physical deficiencies as a species. Darwin held out hope that man would evolve into a more perfect species, but feared that we were already doomed to self-destruction before getting there. Certainly, we are no better for following the commandment to "Be fruitful and multiply. . . ." Genesis 1:28 (KJV). Indeed, ours has not been a history of good husbandry; and we will very likely face extinction from starvation for despoiling the environment that sustains our life.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,672,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post

OK, I need to stop now because I think some of my hair just caught fire.
let it go.. then you'll be special too.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:39 AM

8,532 posts, read 9,945,731 times
Originally Posted by freedom
Quote:
I've seen them, they are interesting, they aren't comparable to Man though, the complexity of Man, His whys, wheres and hows are light years above any other Specie.
It is my experience that there are only 2 types of people:
1. Those who are complicated.
2. Those who think that they are complicated.

Quote:
No animal even comes remotely close to ours. How does Science put that into perspective, millions of Specie, 5,000 per yr. going extinct, not advancing at all in a survival of the fittest manner, and we are the only true sentients out of all of them.
All animals are sentient and are as smart as they need to be, cause if they weren't they'd be extinct.
When man believes that he is the only sentient creature around, I could understand why this makes him feel special. The thing is that man is not the only sentient being on earth, he only believes he is.
Just because not everyone is as smart as me does not mean that I am the only smart person on this world.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:22 AM

If God made man in His own image to have dominion over all living things, then God must have made a mistake; for of all creatures great and small, man is probably the least perfect. Many species have long since reached a state of perfection in their evolution; whereas Homo sapiens sapiens has been around for a relatively short period of time, and not likely to survive much longer for being the architect of his own destruction. This is hardly "intelligent design"! Even the lowly cockroach is better suited for survival: it has remained virtually unchanged for millions of years, being perfectly adapted to every terrestrial environment between the polar icecaps, and very likely to be crawling about for millions of years after all traces of man have vanished from the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality