Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 01:49 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Sheep are herd animals. So just who is a sheep depends on just who is prepared to be continuously flocked by being taught to have unquestioning faith in claims that tend to render them perpetually childlike in their gullibility.
I understand you are trying to differentiate yourself from certain populations. Is it all people of faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 01:58 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times

Old 12-01-2018, 03:55 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I understand you are trying to differentiate yourself from certain populations. Is it all people of faith?

If we are talking about the sort of faith that requires unconditional belief in something for which there is no physical evidence, especially when the claim directly contradicts all common experience and observation, then I consider that sort of faith nothing more than childlike gullibility in action. Childlike gullibility is NOT a virtue, despite efforts by the gullibly childlike to declare it so. This sort of ''faith" necessarily describes many religious claims. Nonsense is not restricted to a specific religion, or a specific region of the world. But ultimately nonsense is nonsense.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:12 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
If we are talking about the sort of faith that requires unconditional belief in something for which there is no physical evidence, especially when the claim directly contradicts all common experience and observation, then I consider that sort of faith nothing more than childlike gullibility in action. Childlike gullibility is NOT a virtue, despite efforts by the gullibly childlike to declare it so. This sort of ''faith" necessarily describes many religious claims. Nonsense is not restricted to a specific religion, or a specific region of the world. But ultimately nonsense is nonsense.
So this is what you are trying to demonstrate? You are not like these people? That's the way some people discover themselves, by discovering what they are not.

It's not unusual for people with superior intelligence to easily get annoyed with the minions. I.Q. is based on problem-solving abilities. Understandably, when you have all the solutions you simply want people to heed whatever you say.

Oh, King Sisyphus and his boulder of knowledge.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:52 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
I totally agree.

This does not exclude secular beliefs either. And "physical evidence" is also a bit of an issue. many "secular" people just say "I don't believe that" and dismiss everything "spiritual" in nature. some people need that spiritual stuff, and there is some physical evidence (but its often ignored for it).

thats no where near "died, woke up, and flew away for us sins" tho. I agree that people need to key in on that kind of content as "why are they selling me that".

I am going to try and appear less hostile. was that wording ok?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post

nipped picture for space.

yeah gran, I am tore with this "nonconformist" thing. Some religious people seem to use magic to force fit us into their box. But secular does it too where I live.

Yes, industrial conformity is bad. But the picture you just showed. I deal with the result of that lifestyle every day. I have no problem with that lifestyle. I do have problem with taking stuff from others to maintain that life style if it can't sustain itself. I do have a problem with 2 kids from that group dictating how a class of 28 goes because they are "non conformist".

It would great if the kids of that group were pulling the learning along with non conformity. But 99 out of a hundred times they are pulling twenty something other people down.

In my area, its not religion destorying us. I live in philly. I say roll the camera. roll the camera's from inner city schools and roll the camera's in the suburn schools. Ignore color, race has nothing to do with it, what/why is the difference?

its not religion. what is it? I can't focus on silly people thinking some dude walked on water when they have nothing to do with the atrocities I see in our schools. the militants are so focused on anti-religion they destroy everything around them to get those religious monsters.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
If we are talking about the sort of faith that requires unconditional belief in something for which
there is no physical evidence,especially when the claim directly contradicts all
common experience and observation,
then I consider that sort of faith nothing more than childlike gullibility in action.
And I understand that there are people that 'hang out' on different sides of the brain...
some hang out on the Right side more.*
I hang out and respect my Right side more, always have....the artistic, abstract-side.

Both have their positives! A balance, of course, is ideal! Being like a child; a dreamer, innocent, pure, simple,
trusting, playful, imaginative is not a bad thing.
Being a determined, clear, logical thinker is not a bad thing either!
A respect for both is ideal!

Where there is belief in the unseen is easy for the right brainer, the logical person, then, can be still and open, and try to observe
the unseen for himself with more effort...that's all.
Just as I can put my nose to the grind stone and be very logical and work out math problems. Ugh.
But, I can.

*(Right side is the artistic, more abstract thinking side....you never want a Left brain stroke!!! Luckily,
my sis, who I 'care give' now in a separate apt on my house,
[yes, I want sympathy, LOL ], had
a Right brain stroke...so she is very functioning in the world still...Left side untouched;
she is - logical, systematic, can drive, has all her speech abilities...see the difference? Left brain
helps you function in the physical world...we NEED people like that!)
Tired is a Left brainer...I am a Right brainer. Both have a purpose, neither should be mocked.

gabfest, enjoyed your post above...the one with Sisyphus, couldn't rep.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
So this is what you are trying to demonstrate? You are not like these people? That's the way some people discover themselves, by discovering what they are not.

It's not unusual for people with superior intelligence to easily get annoyed with the minions. I.Q. is based on problem-solving abilities. Understandably, when you have all the solutions you simply want people to heed whatever you say.

Oh, King Sisyphus and his boulder of knowledge.

To suggest that I am not like people who consider ignorance and gullibility a virtue, is little different from suggesting that you might well wish to separate yourself from those who genuinely believe in and practice the religion of Voodoo. Indeed, we find that both the religion of Voodoo and the religion of Christianity embrace, as a part of their core beliefs, similar doctrines... having to do with the return of the dead. There are direct parallels between gullibly believing in Zombies, and gullibly believing that many dead people arose from their graves and wandered the streets of Jerusalem (Matthew 27:52-53). Indeed, Acts of the apostles (Acts 1:9) tells us that the world's most famous walking dead corpse, Jesus, subsequently flew off into the clouds after he returned from the dead. Not even the Voodoo priests had the chutzpah to attempt to feed stories of flying Zombies to their gullible flocks. But then, the Voodoo priests had their gullible flocks so thoroughly indoctrinated into faithfully accepting their belief system , that it was reportedly possible, at times, to literally frighten the poor sheep to death. The devoutly religious believers of other faiths, rather than being frightened to death by the depths of their gullibility, sometimes did, and still do, seek martyrdom in death as a manifestation of their devotion to personal gullibility.

So, am I attempting to separate myself from this sort of ancient superstition and gullibility predicated on mindless abject faith? I separated myself from subscribing to such beliefs many many years ago. But nowhere have I anointed myself with the claim that I have "superior intelligence."

I have simply been fortunate during the course of my lifetime to direct what intelligence I possess towards the pursuit of analytical thought. As opposed to buying into the heavy layers of faith-based indoctrination handed out by religious leaders that have turned so many people into little more than gullible sheep. Because, except for the blessing of my unusually pragmatic (hard headed) nature, I can see that I might have been flocked and cursed to remain a gullible sheep for life myself.

Sisyphus was cursed with the task of rolling a heavy boulder up a mountain, only to eternally be forced to start over again when it rolled back down. The epitome of a useless endeavor. Statistics establish, however, that religious belief in America his been eroding away at the rate of just about 1% per year for the last 20 years. There may be hope for the eventual elimination of religious ignorance and gullibility, and the general ascendancy of analytical thinking, yet. So I keep my shoulder to the boulder.

Sisyphus and Hardy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh5wzsy2q38

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 12-02-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
And I understand that there are people that 'hang out' on different sides of the brain...
some hang out on the Right side more.*
I hang out and respect my Right side more, always have....the artistic, abstract-side.

Both have their positives! A balance, of course, is ideal! Being like a child; a dreamer, innocent, pure, simple,
trusting, playful, imaginative is not a bad thing.
Being a determined, clear, logical thinker is not a bad thing either!
A respect for both is ideal!

Where there is belief in the unseen is easy for the right brainer, the logical person, then, can be still and open, and try to observe
the unseen for himself with more effort...that's all.
Just as I can put my nose to the grind stone and be very logical and work out math problems. Ugh.
But, I can.

*(Right side is the artistic, more abstract thinking side....you never want a Left brain stroke!!! Luckily,
my sis, who I 'care give' now in a separate apt on my house,
[yes, I want sympathy, LOL ], had
a Right brain stroke...so she is very functioning in the world still...Left side untouched;
she is - logical, systematic, can drive, has all her speech abilities...see the difference? Left brain
helps you function in the physical world...we NEED people like that!)
Tired is a Left brainer...I am a Right brainer. Both have a purpose, neither should be mocked.

gabfest, enjoyed your post above...the one with Sisyphus, couldn't rep.
As it so happens, I actually had a small stroke in the right side of my brain earlier this year. It affected my left arm and left leg. Fortunately my thought processes were unaffected, although my ability to type with both hands was affected, and I now walk with a cane. But I chose to turn 70 this year. As opposed to any of the alternatives. So I suppose I had it coming. It turns out that getting old really does suck just about as much as I always suspected that it was going to.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
As it so happens, I actually had a small stroke in the right side of my brain earlier this year. It affected my left arm and left leg.
Fortunately my thought processes were unaffected, although my ability to type with both hands was affected, and I now walk with a cane.
But I chose to turn 70 this year. As opposed to any of the alternatives. So I suppose I had it coming. It turns out that getting old really
does suck just about as much as I always suspected that it was going to.
The right side is where to have it! See, how your logic is intact?
Good for you ...you seem to be doing pretty darn well!!! xo
"I suppose I had it coming"....whoa, where did that come from, my friend?! Knock that off right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality