U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 12:40 PM

5,908 posts, read 2,283,500 times

Advertisements

I should of added that death rate from the flu was also up 6% over one year. Is that also the fault of atheists? Nowhere in the article does the study discuss atheism or lack of belief. Those are the conclusion of the OP. Opinion only , no facts or evidence.

Maybe universal healthcare and a better social safety net would help? Maybe shorter workweek like Canada and Europe? Maybe less Fox News and MSNBC? Maybe less emphasis on religion like Canada and western Europe? My opinion is the first two might help your country the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 PM

11,227 posts, read 11,251,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I should of added that death rate from the flu was also up 6% over one year. Is that also the fault of atheists? Nowhere in the article does the study discuss atheism or lack of belief. Those are the conclusion of the OP. Opinion only , no facts or evidence.

Maybe universal healthcare and a better social safety net would help? Maybe shorter workweek like Canada and Europe? Maybe less Fox News and MSNBC? Maybe less emphasis on religion like Canada and western Europe? My opinion is the first two might help your country the most.
Why doesn't jeff ever address the issue of why Jesus allows millions of Christians to die in natural disasters and mass epidemics right along with the atheists?

Old 11-29-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Why doesn't jeff ever address the issue of why Jesus allows millions of Christians to die in natural disasters and mass epidemics right along with the atheists?
It gets rather mononous, he doesn't even wait for actual stories that back his claim to smack down on atheist and gays, every story will do. United States, the most religious of the western world is only number 31 in life expectancy, one position up from Cuba and he blames much of it on atheism. Suicide rates are up for both Christians and non Christians and he blames atheists for that. S9me random person on a street gets into an argument with a street preacher, who for all we knew was his bil, and he blames atheists. A Christian judge sends a Christian elected official to jail for contempt of a court order and he blames both atheists and gays for that too.

But on the bright side he also has nothing but distain for liberal Christians.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:19 PM

8,592 posts, read 3,830,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If Jesus rescues us from one danger, He is only delaying the inevitable. Our time here is brief,regardless. Who knows, the Christians who died in those disasters may have faced great personal hardships in other forms if they had lived.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If Jesus rescues us from one danger, He is only delaying the inevitable. Our time here is brief,regardless. Who knows, the Christians who died in those disasters may have faced great personal hardships in other forms if they had lived.
A serious question in regards to this, is saving people's lives in a disaster maybe going against God's wishes as he was trying to prevent them further hardships? Are those suicides you speak about not God's way of allowing people to escape current or future hardships?

I am serious, I don't understand what you are suggesting.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:24 PM

39,020 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Quote:
There you go. Inventing stories out of thin air to provide Christianity with excuses. You wouldn't consider that for a moment with an atheist who topped himself. "Probably Christians were driving him nuts nagging him to convert, berating him as an evil person for his disbelief; shunning him from society". Just make anything up, just as you do.

But thanks at least for confirming my contention that - in doctrine - this life is pointless anyway - the only thing that matters is getting a free ride to the next one. Though you also show that you consider this life as valuable as any atheist does, otherwise suicide rates would even be an argument that you would bother to use.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:27 PM

13,457 posts, read 4,976,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Hsieh found that although religion is linked to lower suicide rates in Latin America, eastern Europe, northern Europe, and English-speaking countries, it is associated with higher suicide rates in East Asia, western Europe and southern Europe.

A Michigan State University sociologist reports in The Journal of Health and Social Behavior that religious participation affects suicide rates differently around the world, and in Latin America particularly, high religious involvement is associated with low suicide rates.

Statistics for the United States generally follow with the statistics for Latin America, although the link between religious participation and low suicide rates is not as pronounced in the United States. The researcher, Ning Hsieh, acknowledged there could be other factors affecting suicide rates. However, she offered a hypothesis about the results, focusing on the different relationships in each region between religion and community.

NEW STUDY SUGGESTS RELIGION AFFECTS SUICIDE RATES DIFFERENTLY AROUND THE WORLD
what age groups? and how does social media effect the rates?

Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM

8,592 posts, read 3,830,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Yet another post by Jeff accusing atheists of being harmful, mean or immoral. If suicide rates are also up among Christians, why accuse atheists of being responsible? I'm just waiting for a post by him "scientists discover new species of fish" and for him to post it as more proof atheists hate Christians. ☺

Jeff, we get it, you do not like us at all but this is not the first thread you started accusing atheism as a cause for increase rate of suicide. Life expectancy in Canada and other developed countries less religious than yours still are rising and are higher than that of the US but I would never make an unfounded claim that atheism is the cause of that. The fall of good paying jobs, the extreme polarizing of your country, inadequate access to good healthcare, poverty, increase need for being mobile for jobs, ptsd, higher infant mortality all are factors. Cuba life expectancy is almost the same as the US and Canada is 3 years longer.

Sorry but the facts don't back up your assumotions, again. But then again, facts also hate Bible believing Christians. ��
If I claimed that a flag pole was straight, you would argue against it. I posted a non-Christian link that did research DIRECTLY into the matter. Posted direct quotes putting the blame on atheists. Where do you get that my facts are not backing up my assumption? They are saying directly what I've said all along. More atheists = more suicide. I can post more studies, more evidence, but obviously you will reject it. OTOH, you have posted NOTHING to back up your statement. The lower life expectancy was a major news story, yesterday. That's the real world.

I will keep bringing it up because it is the ugly truth. And no, I personally don't think atheists are nice people. There is a bitterness underneath that is vented against Christian (and ONLY Christians) with always a high level of arrogance. I watch a lot of Matt Dillahunty's show and every time, he is so rude and arrogant to Christian callers and enjoys ripping them apart for the laughter of his audience. I see the exact same trait in Bill Maher. Of course, I'm generalizing. I'm sure there are some truly nice friendly atheist folk out there, but I never met one.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:47 PM

6,839 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
religious people have fewer attempts, they do it throughly the first time, no second attempt needed...

non religious people hesitate and might need a second or third attempt

suicide rates are equal, the attempt rate is not
I wonder what the gun ownership rate is between believers and atheists? People who commit suicide by gun are more successful on the first attempt compared to suicide attempts by other methods.

I know men are more successful than women in attempting suicide and they say it's due to the more prevalent use of guns by men.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:53 PM

39,020 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Quote:
If I claimed that a flag pole was straight, you would argue against it. I posted a non-Christian link that did research DIRECTLY into the matter. Posted direct quotes putting the blame on atheists. Where do you get that my facts are not backing up my assumption? They are saying directly what I've said all along. More atheists = more suicide. I can post more studies, more evidence, but obviously you will reject it. OTOH, you have posted NOTHING to back up your statement. The lower life expectancy was a major news story, yesterday. That's the real world.

I will keep bringing it up because it is the ugly truth. And no, I personally don't think atheists are nice people. There is a bitterness underneath that is vented against Christian (and ONLY Christians) with always a high level of arrogance. I watch a lot of Matt Dillahunty's show and every time, he is so rude and arrogant to Christian callers and enjoys ripping them apart for the laughter of his audience. I see the exact same trait in Bill Maher. Of course, I'm generalizing. I'm sure there are some truly nice friendly atheist folk out there, but I never met one.
We could say exactly the same about you. You attack us, we refute you and you get all denialist saying you're right anyway, never mind what the evidence actually says and our refuting of fallacy is of course to you denial of the truth, because truth to you and all Christians is Faith, not facts.

And your bitterness and hate towards us and ours is and has always been palpable. And you know what, Jeff? I like you, becasue I see a solid guy guy there and it is religion has corrupted you. It's not your fault.

There you are; your nice friendly atheist. Most of us are. Of course I know you can't see it as you only see us attacking your religion and the lies it teaches you. And because you have invested Faith in it, you take it personally.

We don't. It isn't personal. I like you (1) and I like Ozzy and Mike 555 etc. You remember Eusebius. We talk DM sometimes. We are mates, though we disagree still.

(1) gettoff..gettoff..bugger you..I might Catch something...I don't WANT you to like me.."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality