Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
The OP is deceptively misleading (...I'm sure it wasn't intentional....).

I was interested in these findings, but couldn't find anything in the first linked article that referred to the impact of religion. So I went directly to the CDC report it describes, just released today; again I found no discussion of religion as a variable, amongst a boatload of other variables (if I overlooked or am looking in the wrong place, please correct me). Finally, I went to the second linked article, which does focus on religion and suicide, but has absolutely NOTHING to do with the headline article, and was published way back in 2004. While the CDC report is a population-based study (i.e., a large, all-inclusive, representative sample), the older study is based on a a VERY selective sample... namely, a small handful of patients already hospitalized for depression.

Not to get all sciencecy, but the methods and analyses in these two reports are apples to oranges, and make it next to impossible to draw any conclusions. Certainly not the ones in the OP.
None of us familiar with jeff's MO are surprised. He is a <<cut>>.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-29-2018 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Post edited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 05:08 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
So thank you [to whatever] believers in the remaining states for imposing your religious beliefs on the rest of us by forcing us all to suffer painful and undignified ends to our lives in order to conform with your archaic religious convictions.

And for us not always knowing how to counter you in the courts of Law?! And for building that Ark in Kentucky! Damn right we're pissed!
I am not sure non believers are "pissed" about the Ark Encounter theme park. Amused perhaps. But the Ark Encounter will allow believers and non believers alike to stand and watch as the park either succeeds, or fails spectacularly. And I for one will not be "pissed" if the Ark Encounter theme park manages to survive financially. Shocked to my socks perhaps, but not "pissed."

Old 11-29-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I am not sure non believers are "pissed" about the Ark Encounter theme park. Amused perhaps. But the Ark Encounter will allow believers and non believers alike to stand and watch as the park either succeeds, or fails spectacularly. And I for one will not be "pissed" if the Ark Encounter theme park manages to survive financially. Shocked to my socks perhaps, but not "pissed."
I believe it will succeed in 20-some years as a monument to man's folly.

Prices and parking will be greatly reduced because the new owners bought it for three cents on the dollar.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:18 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
I have belly-button lint.

Thanks, atheists!

Old 11-29-2018, 06:35 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
An alarming trend was revealed yesterday. Despite medical advances and lower deaths by heart disease and cancer, the US life expectancy dropped after years and years of going up. Suicide is a big part of the problem, and the suicide rate has now hit a 50 year high.

https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/us-s...xpectancy.html

This is the world atheism and secularism as created. More division, more hopeless, more conflict, less tolerance and less empathy. People have bought into the lie that there is no God, and no purpose to live. We are merely souless flesh and bone here to consume resources then die and rot. The vast majority of us will be completely forgotten from the next generations that get their turn at living.

And the research has shown a direct link between atheism and suicide.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi...jp.161.12.2303

That's the bed you made, so now you can get to lie in it. It is just sad that atheists dedicate so much time out of the few short decades we get in life into tearing down an institution that gives hope and healing to the masses.
I actually have had more hope and healing since leaving Christianity. I don't think atheists are the problem.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:38 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If Jesus rescues us from one danger, He is only delaying the inevitable. Our time here is brief,regardless. Who knows, the Christians who died in those disasters may have faced great personal hardships in other forms if they had lived.
And who knows? They may have lived perfectly lovely lives had they lived to an old age. Sometimes there is no reason why things happen. Life is what it is, and there are no guarantees. It has nothing to do with being a Christian or not.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:52 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
There may be a few reasons suicide rates may be up that have nothing to do with anything secular or non-secular...

A. The population rate is higher than ever, more people, more crowding, more competition for jobs, housing, etc.. etc...

B. Computers, online shopping, etc. have eliminated alot of jobs, making matters even worse.

C. Newer generations were raised with smartphones/computer gaming/social media, etc. which allowed them to literally live in a "Matrix" like virtual reality. Consumerism encourages this, and without the intervention of aware and concerned adults, narcissism and social detachment could take over. When this person becomes a teen or young adult (with the ensuing difficulties) they might not have the "coping skills" to deal with it.

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 11-29-2018 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-29-2018, 07:12 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Teen pregnancy rates are down yet another 9% in the past year alone, for a total of a 55% decrease in the past 30 years. Oh nice going, atheists. Jerks!

Old 11-29-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Teen pregnancy rates are down yet another 9% in the past year alone, for a total of a 55% decrease in the past 30 years. Oh nice going, atheists. Jerks!
Yeah! Damn that availability of education and birth control information!

Old 11-29-2018, 07:33 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I actually have had more hope and healing since leaving Christianity. I don't think atheists are the problem.
Hope that you can become worm food at any second of any day? Yeah, lots of hope there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality