Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 09:36 AM

18,205 posts, read 16,807,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Hsieh found that although religion is linked to lower suicide rates in Latin America, eastern Europe, northern Europe, and English-speaking countries, it is associated with higher suicide rates in East Asia, western Europe and southern Europe.

A Michigan State University sociologist reports in The Journal of Health and Social Behavior that religious participation affects suicide rates differently around the world, and in Latin America particularly, high religious involvement is associated with low suicide rates.

Statistics for the United States generally follow with the statistics for Latin America, although the link between religious participation and low suicide rates is not as pronounced in the United States. The researcher, Ning Hsieh, acknowledged there could be other factors affecting suicide rates. However, she offered a hypothesis about the results, focusing on the different relationships in each region between religion and community.

NEW STUDY SUGGESTS RELIGION AFFECTS SUICIDE RATES DIFFERENTLY AROUND THE WORLD
All this should point to the fact that God has nothing to do with Christians vs atheists who choose suicide and those who don't. The numbers are comparable across the board. Suicide is an individual choice based on a person's psychological profile and circumstances in life. God doesn't influence the outcome in the slightest.

We're all on our own, baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:33 AM

62 posts, read 33,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Prayer has been scientifically tested and proven not to work.

That is, it works at the same rate as chance.

So you could pray to a salt shaker and get the same results as praying to God.
And properly applied the salt shaker can make your food taste better.....

Old 12-02-2018, 10:36 AM

22,940 posts, read 10,300,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
An alarming trend was revealed yesterday. Despite medical advances and lower deaths by heart disease and cancer, the US life expectancy dropped after years and years of going up. Suicide is a big part of the problem, and the suicide rate has now hit a 50 year high.

https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/us-s...xpectancy.html

This is the world atheism and secularism as created. More division, more hopeless, more conflict, less tolerance and less empathy. People have bought into the lie that there is no God, and no purpose to live. We are merely souless flesh and bone here to consume resources then die and rot. The vast majority of us will be completely forgotten from the next generations that get their turn at living.

And the research has shown a direct link between atheism and suicide.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi...jp.161.12.2303

That's the bed you made, so now you can get to lie in it. It is just sad that atheists dedicate so much time out of the few short decades we get in life into tearing down an institution that gives hope and healing to the masses.
LOL, yeah it's the damned Atheists making people kill theyselves, people like Transponder, the murderer.

Stop killing people Atheists!

Old 12-02-2018, 11:02 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,586,805 times
sorry... the devil's making me do it

Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,294,093 times
In Canada doctor assisted suicide is legal. There are procedures to go through in order to be qualified to have this done. In Alberta seniors or others living in Catholic operated facilities go through the procedures however they cannot have the interviews done within the facility, including their private room. Some have to be wheelchair driven out through the snow, in weather as cold as minus 32C in order to be interviewed for the mental assessment in a bus shelter., There are now several cases going through the Alberta courts system of this happening in both Edmonton and Calgary.

I bring this up to show both the fact that religious people do in fact commit suicide , or wish to, but also at least one religious organization that shows little, if any empathy for those wishing to escape terrible pain that will never end and whose quality of life is rapidly deminishing.

The rules for assisted suicide are very strict and people who are allowed are not simply feeling a lille depressed.

Maybe the Commandment for not making false testimony is actually taught as only a suggestion or as thY shall make false testimony against those you do not agree with. That might explain many things about why evangelicals support who they do and why Jeff makes so many false clsims.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:30 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,303,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
for me, since i don't justify a claim on a statement of belief about god, I have to evaluate a claim on evidence.

saying mantras to break a train of thought has most certainly been scientifically proven to help. weather its a prayer or whatever you want to call it.

its that simple.

you pointed out 'praying to a god". I don't do god, I am just an atheist. I am not anti-god. 'false hope" is most certainly scientifically proven to help. it can help until a person can help themselves. In fact, many phycologist deploy it until the person can inch their way to reality if possible.

yes, praying to a bible god type thing won't work. but you are actually pointing to a specific set of prayers. i have to look at the whole picture, in the context of what it means to be human.
Meditation and mantras - that's another story altogether.

When you said prayer, I thought you meant the act of beseeching a god of some kind to intercede on your behalf - which is what a prayer usually is.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:30 AM

50,082 posts, read 20,545,443 times
Quote:
Prayer has been scientifically tested and proven not to work.

That is, it works at the same rate as chance.

So you could pray to a salt shaker and get the same results as praying to God.
It's why I can't talk to the fellow. He simply has no interest in what is so, only what he would like to think is so.

Quote:

When you said prayer, I thought you meant the act of beseeching a god of some kind to intercede on your behalf - which is what a prayer usually is.
I suspect that he just shifted the goalposts there, but ok - calming effect of meditation, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
LOL, yeah it's the damned Atheists making people kill theyselves, people like Transponder, the murderer.:
That's me dood. Up in my head, I blow fifteen people away daily. Especially when i have to go out, dodging they traffic and pavement -cyclists.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-02-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,195,973 times
Oregon also has Physician assisted suicide. There are a bunch of conditions that have to apply. Things like; 6 months to live. Two Physician's have to approve the request. It happens, but it's pretty rare. It's a comfort to me, knowing that this option is available.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:42 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,503,450 times
Quote:

yeah, i get ya, beseeching god, like you pointed out, is nonsense.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:56 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,503,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's why I can't talk to the fellow. He simply has no interest in what is so, only what he would like to think is so.

That's me dood. Up in my head, I blow fifteen people away daily. Especially when i have to go out, dodging they traffic and pavement -cyclists.
lmao, you make up what you have to. me, I don't base any choice on a statement of belief about god, like you.

I said prayer does work. prayer is many things. i look at what prayer is on the most basic level and decide if it works or if it doesn't work. "prayer', repeating a phrase or and set of words to unlock a thought or break OCD tendies does work.

false hope, called the placebo effect, does work and is deployed by trained trained people.

they are just the facts 'ld chum.

you don't have to like it, how the universe works doesn't care what you like or dislike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality