Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:19 PM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What about using hypothetical examples that mean absolutely nothing.

You just did that.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
The Bible is either “the” word of this god, or it isn’t. You can’t have it both ways. The problem with churches and religion is that they are indoctrinating absurd doctrines along side the worthy doctrines.
That has already been determined by the U.S. Government...and it is set law.
I may not prefer it to be that way...but it is.
Check this out:
Year of the Bible, Public Law 97-280

As you can see, it declares, in the text of the basis for the Law, that The Bible Is:
* The Word of God...and has made a unique contribution in shaping the United States as a distinctive and blessed nation and people.
And That:
* The deeply held religious convictions springing from the Holy Scriptures led to the early settlement of our Nation.

*Biblical teachings inspired concepts of civil government that are contained in our Declaration of Independence and the constitution of the United States.

*Many of our great national leaders—among them Presidents Washington, Jackson, Lincoln, and Wilson—paid tribute to the surpassing influence of the Bible in our country's development, as the words of President Jackson that the Bible is “the rock on which our Republic rests”.

*The history of our Nation clearly illustrates the value of voluntarily applying the teachings of the Scriptures in the lives of individuals, families, and societies.

*Renewing our knowledge of and faith in God through Holy Scripture can strengthen us as a nation and a people.

They then LEGISLATED INTO LAW:
The recognition of both the formative influence the Bible has been for our Nation, and our national need to study and apply the teachings of the Holy Scriptures.

It would take a fight on Constitutional grounds to strike all Laws like this that set precedent for how the Bible is viewed.
Until then...The Bible is declared the WORD OF GOD...and it is stated AS LAW that we, NEED TO STUDY AND APPLY THE TEACHINGS OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:34 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
<snip>
Quote:
It would take a fight on Constitutional grounds to strike all Laws like this that set precedent for how the Bible is viewed.
Until then...The Bible is declared the WORD OF GOD...and it is stated AS LAW that we, NEED TO STUDY AND APPLY THE TEACHINGS OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES.

Yep, and honestly it should have been fought on Constitutional grounds, if it happened today it probably would be. But America has never been all that good at living up to its stated ideals, including separation of Church and State. It has been a constant and ongoing struggle, and those concerned about liberty, equality under the law, and their first amendment rights have to remain vigilant.

The whole "In God We Trust" thing is an indication of this need for vigilance. One has only to look at who is demanding it be integrated into our government, schools, and national symbolism and listen to their reasoning, to understand why the Supreme Court was simply wrong when it found no religious significance to the phrase. Those pushing for mandating its use find it extremely religiously significant, and will tell you why in great detail...

-NoCapo

Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No one should be afraid of the phrase "In God we trust" especially in an English speaking environment. God is just a reference to the creative force of the universe, and to the united spirit of all mankind, and it doesn't even refer to any specific religion. Even atheists should appreciate this kind of idea, but I doubt they will.
What about "God with us" or "Gott mitt uns" or "Emmanuel" ?
Why not "Yoshua" All it means is "God saves"
like "God save the Queen." That would be "Jesus the Queen."

I wonder how well that would go with these hypocrites.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Sure ...

Except putting "In God We Trust" and copies of the 10 Commandments in our public schools and buildings isn't a philosophical issue.

This is a blatant attempt to send up a "trial balloon" - in other words, to float an idea and see how people respond to it. Because what they are looking to do is to take this a lot further than just "In God We Trust."

What they're doing now is just the beginning - sticking a toe in the bathwater to see how hot it is. And if it isn't too hot, they'll put the rest of their body into the water.

Which is just a metaphor for - if they discover that the people don't care, they'll start introducing such measures as using the Bible as a reader for younger children or rote memorization of Bible verses or using Bible verses for grammer, spelling, and vocabulary tests.

At some point, Bible stories like Adam and Eve will be taught as historical fact, evolution won't just disappear but it will be actively ridiculed as ridiculous - at the same time they claim there's nothing ridiculous about cramming 10 billion species of animals into a little boat smaller than a WWII destroyer.

After that, they'll start telling these kids who to vote for - so that by the time they reach 18 years of age, they will be die-hard members of the Republican Religious Cult. And make no mistake, the GOP is very much a cult right now and probably always will be for many decades to come.

The politicians responsible for pushing these motions regarding sprinkling our schools with religious propaganda aren't even pretending to be inclusive anymore. They've stopped playing that game and now they're going full-bore Christianity. Remember that the 10 Commandments is part of this. Not only are the commandments uniquely Judeo-Christian, the very first commandment is "Thou shall have no other gods before me."

So if you're not worshiping Yahweh, you're out. And I mean all the way out.

A theocratic fascist state is by FAR the worst kind of state to live in - aside from total anarchy. I really don't want to see America become the very thing we've been fighting AGAINST for the last 20 years.
What you wrote is all true (and I agree)...and you can blame the leaders of this country for it.
People would like things to be how they would prefer them. The number of different preferences at any given time, is equal to the population at that moment.
The government is made up of The People. They have the power. Most decisions are made on a "majority rules" basis.
Most people prefer things to be different then you prefer, relative to this issue. And since the people that make the decisions lean the way of that majority...that is how it will probably be.
I try not to let the things I do not prefer, but can't do anything to change, get to me. It messes with my contentment if I do.
OTOH...I love it when you vent on this forum. Your posts are great and I always look forward to reading them.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
And so it begins, folks.

[i]Florida is one of seven states this year that passed (PASSED) laws requiring or permitting schools and other public buildings to post "In God We Trust."
I don't see how this is legal? It's in direct conflict of separation of State and Church.

The Florida Legislature Ends Their Session By Harming Public Schools

This is the most despicable thing I have witnessed during my lifetime in the US. What is wrong with people in the US?

Just look at what this Bill did: HB 7055 was a must-pass education funding bill. Advocates for school vouchers used this to their advantage and inserted provisions into the bill to create new and expand existing voucher programs.

*Vouchers harm religious freedom because they funnel public funds primarily to private religious schools. Public money should fund public schools.

HB 7055 violates religious freedom, which mandates that parents and families, not public schools, get to decide how their kids learn about faith.

I am baffled that this is being allowed and was signed into Law?

I'm not sure what any of us can do about it? Any suggestions anyone?

Old 12-05-2018, 07:11 PM

Such scandal! What is wrong with the folks in FL? What can we do??????

MORE INFORMATION ABOUT FLORIDA HB 7055

I look forward to becoming an expat!

Old 12-05-2018, 07:17 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Check this out:
Year of the Bible, Public Law 97-280

As you can see, it declares, in the text of the basis for the Law, that The Bible Is:
* The Word of God...and has made a unique contribution in shaping the United States as a distinctive and blessed nation and people.
And That:
* The deeply held religious convictions springing from the Holy Scriptures led to the early settlement of our Nation.

*Biblical teachings inspired concepts of civil government that are contained in our Declaration of Independence and the constitution of the United States.

*Many of our great national leaders—among them Presidents Washington, Jackson, Lincoln, and Wilson—paid tribute to the surpassing influence of the Bible in our country's development, as the words of President Jackson that the Bible is “the rock on which our Republic rests”.

*The history of our Nation clearly illustrates the value of voluntarily applying the teachings of the Scriptures in the lives of individuals, families, and societies.

*Renewing our knowledge of and faith in God through Holy Scripture can strengthen us as a nation and a people.

They then LEGISLATED INTO LAW:
The recognition of both the formative influence the Bible has been for our Nation, and our national need to study and apply the teachings of the Holy Scriptures.

So I assume you also endorse slavery: https://www.thoughtco.com/what-does-...slavery-105417

Old 12-05-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The government is made up of The People. They have the power. Most decisions are made on a "majority rules" basis.
And you think this is going to bode well in a nation full of special interest groups/corporations/Wall Street with deep pockets in addition to gullible bible thumping scientifically illiterate people at the voting polls?

Welcome to what the US has become.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:25 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So I assume you also endorse slavery: https://www.thoughtco.com/what-does-...slavery-105417

I don't think he is saying that at all.

But it is true that at one point, slavery was legal in the united states, and that the Supreme Court ruled in support of it. He is pointing out that well beyond merely "In God We Trust", there have been bills passed to allow the President to set forth a symbolic declaration that is religious in nature, and that the supporting reasoning for this bill was also religious in nature. It is probably not legally significant, but it happened and it is what it is. Goldie tend to greet it with a shrug, for me it is impetus to push back on these things when I see them, to take stuff like this into account in the voting booth, and to explain why these are bad ideas that are contrary to our American ideals when I get the chance.

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.