U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 PM

607 posts, read 145,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
How is that possible?
it isn't possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 PM

3,410 posts, read 2,358,843 times
Quote:
It is difficult to explain, I have found. What I meant by my question, though, is I thought that was pretty foundational to being a Christian.

An aside: I asked a Muslim how we 'infidels' and he said because we are not monotheistic. We believe in more than one God, is how some see the Trinity belief. Doesn't totally made sense as Infidel means unbeliever, so I would not say all Muslims agree with that statement.
Hmm, I thought an infidel was someone who knew the truth but went against the teachings. I've never thought an atheist as an infidel.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:46 PM

37,960 posts, read 25,651,700 times
Quote:
It is difficult to explain, I have found. What I meant by my question, though, is I thought that was pretty foundational to being a Christian.
The Trinity is how primitive men who were ignorant of the actual basis for personhood tried to explain that Jesus embodied God. You see, we are conversing with jencam but we are NOT conversing with jencam's BODY. We are conversing with the PERSON (personality) who IS the actual jencam. That PERSON is jencam's consciousness. Jesus possessed the consciousness of God in His physical body which why when we understand the "mind of Christ" we understand the mind of God. God IS Spirit (consciousness). God IS Holy. God's Holy Spirit is NOT a separate "person" it is God's state of mind. Jesus possessed God's state of mind in His human consciousness that is how they are ONE, NOT as three sep[arate persons, but as one mind.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:49 PM

According to modern day scholars, when Jesus was on the cross praying to have the cup of death passed away from Him, He was praying to Himself.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:54 PM

607 posts, read 145,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Trinity is how primitive men who were ignorant of the actual basis for personhood tried to explain that Jesus embodied God.
Christians are baptized into the Trinity. This is the new birth

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them inthe name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Matt 28:19

Last edited by BumbleBeeHunter; 12-07-2018 at 08:12 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 07:56 PM

12,218 posts, read 5,832,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Hmm, I thought an infidel was someone who knew the truth but went against the teachings. I've never thought an atheist as an infidel.
It's literal translation is unbeliever. To some that means unbeliever at all, to some that means unbeliever in their particular brand.

I think apostate is one who 'knows' the truth but turns away from it. Doesn't mean everyone uses the terms exactly the same way.

Quote:
Quote:
The Quran uses the term in reference to Jews, Christians and Sabians in a variety of contexts, from religious polemics to passages emphasizing community of faith between those who possess monotheistic scriptures.
(from wiki)

Old 12-07-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
It's literal translation is unbeliever. To some that means unbeliever at all, to some that means unbeliever in their particular brand.

I think apostate is one who 'knows' the truth but turns away from it. Doesn't mean everyone uses the terms exactly the same way.

(from wiki)
Thank you.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:02 PM

19,736 posts, read 9,315,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
By that reasoning, then you worry about me...worrying about it
I'm always concerned for those who are misguided.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 PM

12,218 posts, read 5,832,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I know the LDS got themselves in some controversy by Baptizing non-LDS people who had already passed, obviously without their consent or seeking consent of any surviving relatives. An LDS friend of mine explained that they would now have their ticket to heaven validated "just in case", if they needed it, they would now get in.

Would the LDS baptize folks presently alive without them necessarily joining the Church? Would the Baptists do the same? I took a bus tour of Switzerland recently that stopped for lunch in Liechtenstein, it is a tiny principality, more of an exit off the freeway than a country. Some people on the tour paid 3 francs to have their passports stamped, although they had no need with the "open border" policy now in place.

One could have a religious "Passport" with as many stamps as they felt they may need, if multiple religions would abide...
I'm currently trying to understand that myself. Supposedly I am (to use myself as an example) be given the choice after death, but the people on earth doing the proxy Baptism for me can't communicate with me. As I am unsealed, I wonder who they will seal me to. Sealing into an eternal marriage is also required to be in what I think of as Heaven - dwelling with God and Jesus forever.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm always concerned for those who are misguided.
Would you care to share an example of your notion of correct guidance? And how has it benefited you in life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality