Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 07:48 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

As much I try to follow the readings of the Bible, I still struggle with alcohol. I think a big part of it is because it's always been difficult for me to maintain friendships so I often feel lonely. Even when I do try to reach out, it's often feels one-sided on my part so it becomes exhausting for me. It doesn't help that I'm profound Deaf so if they can't relate to me on my level accepting who I am, I get pushed aside. Even if I try to meet those like me, it's all superficial, maybe bc I've met them later in life so they don't have the need for more close friends in their life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 08:24 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
As much I try to follow the readings of the Bible, I still struggle with alcohol. I think a big part of it is because it's always been difficult for me to maintain friendships so I often feel lonely. Even when I do try to reach out, it's often feels one-sided on my part so it becomes exhausting for me. It doesn't help that I'm profound Deaf so if they can't relate to me on my level accepting who I am, I get pushed aside. Even if I try to meet those like me, it's all superficial, maybe bc I've met them later in life so they don't have the need for more close friends in their life
Alcoholism can't be cured by following the readings of the Bible. One has nothing to do with the other, so don't blame yourself for the struggle you undergo despite your good intentions.

Do you attend meetings or in some other way address the problem with alcohol?

I am sorry about the hearing impairment. I can see how that would make you feel isolated. Some hearing people do get frustrated not knowing how to communicate with a hearing-impaired person and turn away from trying.

Do you have a hearing-impaired community with whom to discuss the difficulties of making and maintaining friendships, especially online, where it might be easier for everyone to express themselves visually? I don't know if such a community even exists. I am just guessing that one might be out there.

At any rate, feel free to post here. If you specifically want a discussion within the framework of Christianity, also post in that subforum.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:03 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
I want to echo much of what Mighty Queen has said. Answers to your problems cannot be found in the Bible, certainly not by "accept Jesus as your lord and savior" as many Christians will urge you to do. That way lies madness, as many former Christians can attest. Therapy is your most logical route to overcoming alcoholism. Like any addiction it may become a monkey on your back for life and a good strong AA program will benefit you tremendously. Jesus doesn't magically take away cravings and make you whole as many a Christian will promise. I strongly suggest you not consult them, as their suggestions will be heavily slanted in favor of Jesus as a cure-all for every problem that exists, which he obviously is not.
We're all born into this world of woe and tragedy will some sort of problem, affliction, misfortune, etc. We have to learn to make the most of them and live best we can in spite of them. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Sounds like a rather heroic struggle.

Yes, I know a friend of my fathers who struggled with alcohol and I think other drug addictions and had to rely on peer pressure from Jehova's Witnesses on many of times, but also had a good deal of relapses. I don't think it was so much that his previous or non-highly-religious friends had other close friends to ignore him for, but instead that society didn't really allow them much time to do things outside of work and they were often too fatigued to deal with other people's talkativeness or problems.

All friendships start out as superficial because all involved as scared of lowering their walls and exposing their weaknesses. And yes, I'm sure meeting them later in life is also an issue, since children often have far more free time than adults.

Wish you the best, hope you continue to use the good resources you have available for you so that you don't continue to cause larger damage to your systems with alcoholism. Don't always assume the worst in others or yourself, it's usually the boring answer. You have to be content with "not bad" most of the time. My two cents for now, I guess. You could also try to choose to see "not bad" as "wonderful."

Old 05-20-2019, 04:27 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Unfortunately, this probably not an appropriate forum for seeking spiritual advice. Many people here are atheists and their primary intent is to ridicule your faith.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:34 AM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Unfortunately, this probably not an appropriate forum for seeking spiritual advice. Many people here are atheists and their primary intent is to ridicule your faith.
Hence my suggestion to post in the Christianity forum, where the existence of God cannot be questioned, for spiritual discussion regarding struggling with substance abuse. Why did you not reiterate that rather than using this person's thread to take another slap at atheists?

I would also suggest posting in Health and Wellness, particularly Mental Health, where the poster might find others who struggle with alcoholism, to address it as a health issue.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hence my suggestion to post in the Christianity forum, where the existence of God cannot be questioned, for spiritual discussion regarding struggling with substance abuse. Why did you not reiterate that rather than using this person's thread to take another slap at atheists?

I would also suggest posting in Health and Wellness, particularly Mental Health, where the poster might find others who struggle with alcoholism, to address it as a health issue.
It's no wonder 99.9999% of the admins time here/religious forums is spent correcting various theist.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:08 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
As much I try to follow the readings of the Bible, I still struggle with alcohol.
There are many people who use the bible and church to stop drinking. However there are many of us who got into trouble with alcohol in the first place due to the "guilt and shame" imposed on us by the bible and church. I will say that others are able to avoid alcohol by these same guilting and shaming biblical themes and as I said, others find the bible and church liberating from their alcoholic issue. .

If you go to church maybe you can find someone who has stopped drinking and see how they did it. As others have mentioned AA is available and counseling is available. Just take some sort of action. Doesn't really matter what it is a this point. Just seek help. You can and will find a path out of it if you don't succumb to just continuing to drink.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:29 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
What do you mean by "struggle with alcohol"? Jesus drank wine. Lots of churches still use wine as a sacrament. Does alcohol cause you to fail to live up to your responsibilities, or hurt people or yourself?
Quote:

Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,380 times
Wow, so people were shamed by the Church into drinking. Maybe there are too many fake churches out there, but we each control our own path, Jesus didn't abolish free will.

I drink because alcohol is awesome, especially craft beer, nothing better in the world, the key is moderation. For those who can't control themselves, moderation can sometimes be never. Even water can become a problem if used incorrectly. So the problem isn't the alcohol, it is the reason that you are using it. It seems to me that loneliness is the problem, the alcohol is just a symptom.

I'll tell you a story of a co-worker I had named Luke. Luke was born with muscular dystrophy. Due to this he couldn't walk without the aid of a walker, he was severely impaired visually, and he was depressed. I had to train him at work, so I became basically the only friend he had. He stunk, had horrible teeth because it was impossible for him to brush them, and he had never went on a date in his life.

I encouraged him to start talking to people on line. He made a dating profile on a website, and a couple of months later, met a woman who had some health problems like him. She was visually impaired (I joked with him that he found the only woman that couldn't see how ugly he was). They were on other sides of the country, but found a way to move in together. Luke has since passed, but the last years of his life were filled with love.

Humans weren't meant to be alone. We are social creatures, and many evils on this world manifest themselves from people feeling isolated. You need to find something that you love more than alcohol, and if you can't beat it, get away from it. Find a hobby, let it pull you away from the alcohol. Fishing, hunting, bike riding, on-line gaming, golf, stamp collecting, RC vehicles, the list is endless. That will allow you to meet like minded people, it is the ultimate ice breaker.

A warning about therapy, some people use a therapist like a friend. This can be a very expensive pursuit. A therapist isn't a friend, no more that the person at the checkout line is your friend. It is a business relationship, you need advise, they need your money. Please don't fall into that trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality