Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

I am old. I believe in reincarnation. I think people contract to attend "Earth School" to learn specific things that will evolve their souls. In other words, they need certain life experiences to broaden and deepen themselves.

I can't imagine WHY I contracted to come here. In reviewing my life, I have done some really dumb things (which I have subsequently learned were dumb, but they are so mundane, I don't think it would really matter if I learned the particular things or not - I could have read a book and learned the particular things I was dumb about instead of wasting a lifetime to learn them).

I have also helped a lot of people (like put time, effort and money towards their well-being) - so I "performed good deeds" - I am not sure how to evaluate those deeds - they didn't "help" me (other than to make me more compassionate in the moment - not long term, though).

I just don't feel in my old age I am a "better" person than I was when I was five years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 12:11 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Obviously, only those that believe with you in reincarnation can discuss this with you as the rest of us would see it as a psychological issue

Old 12-11-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Obviously, only those that believe with you in reincarnation can discuss this with you as the rest of us would see it as a psychological issue
Obviously, you did not have to comment. From a strictly psychological viewpoint, I would say your ego got the best of you

Since this is a religion and spirituality forum, I am hoping some people who believe in reincarnation might have some useful perspectives to share.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:37 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
I'm Buddhist, and I think that rebirth (similar to reincarnation) is a possibility.

First, it's never too late...unless you're homebound. I'm nearly 70 and tutoring a Buddhist monk.

Second, and I'm serious about this -- I think it's time you watched "It's A Wonderful Life" (possibly again) to remember it's message.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:06 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Obviously, you did not have to comment. From a strictly psychological viewpoint, I would say your ego got the best of you

Since this is a religion and spirituality forum, I am hoping some people who believe in reincarnation might have some useful perspectives to share.
My disposition is such that I could exchange insults but, actually, I was thinking that possibly nobody might respond to your message and I just wanted to let you know somebody read it and cared enough to reply.
Take that for what you think it's worth

Old 12-11-2018, 01:14 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
I am old. I believe in reincarnation. I think people contract to attend "Earth School" to learn specific things that will evolve their souls. In other words, they need certain life experiences to broaden and deepen themselves.

I can't imagine WHY I contracted to come here. In reviewing my life, I have done some really dumb things (which I have subsequently learned were dumb, but they are so mundane, I don't think it would really matter if I learned the particular things or not - I could have read a book and learned the particular things I was dumb about instead of wasting a lifetime to learn them).

I have also helped a lot of people (like put time, effort and money towards their well-being) - so I "performed good deeds" - I am not sure how to evaluate those deeds - they didn't "help" me (other than to make me more compassionate in the moment - not long term, though).

I just don't feel in my old age I am a "better" person than I was when I was five years old.
Maybe the fact that you've grown up, grown old, and yet still subscribe to make believe contributes to a general feeling that your life hasn't measured up.

Or maybe you need to consider just what the concept of "better" actually means. Better than who? Better than Hitler? I don't know you, but I suspect you can pass that test easily enough. Better than JC? If you continue to subscribe to make believe then of course you will fail to measure up.

Many (most?) people have an inherent feeling when they are young that they were put in this world for a special purpose. By the time they reach old age they must either conclude that their life was a waste, or come to the realization that they had a life, and that WAS the purpose.

It never occurred to me that life sucks. I was far too occupied trying to figure existence out.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:39 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
If by "the larger scheme of things" you mean all the universe, then Earth doesn't amount to much, let alone one individual life on Earth.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:29 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:

I can't imagine WHY I contracted to come here.
In reviewing my life, I have done some really dumb things (which I have subsequently learned were dumb, but they are so mundane, I don't think it would really matter if I learned the particular things or not - I could have read a book and learned the particular things I was dumb about instead of wasting a lifetime to learn them).

Are you a parent?

Old 12-11-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My disposition is such that I could exchange insults but, actually, I was thinking that possibly nobody might respond to your message and I just wanted to let you know somebody read it and cared enough to reply.
Take that for what you think it's worth
Thank you.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm Buddhist, and I think that rebirth (similar to reincarnation) is a possibility.

First, it's never too late...unless you're homebound. I'm nearly 70 and tutoring a Buddhist monk.

Second, and I'm serious about this -- I think it's time you watched "It's A Wonderful Life" (possibly again) to remember it's message.
Curious about your response. Buddhists believe in reincarnation, so . . .

I think assessing one's life in old age is appropriate - and hopefully there will be "more time," but I am not sure what I "should" be doing right now that would make my lifetime here worthwhile. It seems insignificant - not only to others I have encountered, but for my growth. Hopefully, I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality