Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 10:15 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,813,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Proverbs 6:16-19 New International Version (NIV)

16 There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.
Fair enough. But hopefully you realize that Proverbs is not part of the "Law" of the Old Testament, don't you? It's "Wisdom Literature". Can't everyone at least agree that this is a person who is recording his own wisdom that he has learned? It's basically just a guy giving his opinions. And it's never been anything else but that. It has to contain some truth otherwise it would not have endured so long, and it would never have been accepted into the canon of scripture.

I don't know if this even applies to you, but I feel really sorry for anyone who can't understand what they are reading in it's original context. Any church that would quote anything out of context is one that I would probably avoid. Everything that is true in scripture is common sense, as long as the person is reading it correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:20 AM

16,631 posts, read 4,916,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think it’s funny that you used Mr5151 and then insulted me left and right! why are people so rude on this forum?
You mean like dishonestly asking a question while not responding to any of the answers? Because you actually wanted to attack atheism (but actually shot your own argument down)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Actually I DO know why
Yes, we have heard that BS argument as well.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:46 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,612,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The "lying" law you speak of from the Old Testament is actually more about giving false testimony in court, I believe.
You believe wrong. It's hilarious how little most believers know about their own holy book. You're devoting your life to a belief system laid out in a book, shouldn't you know what the book says?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You believe wrong. It's hilarious how little most believers know about their own holy book. You're devoting your life to a belief system laid out in a book, shouldn't you know what the book says?
My own "holy book"? Everything you said right there is completely false. But I don't know if you are joking or not.

What I believe is based on my common sense, not what any book tells me. If it doesn't match that, then I don't care what any book says. I just disregard it.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. But hopefully you realize that Proverbs is not part of the "Law" of the Old Testament, don't you? It's "Wisdom Literature". Can't everyone at least agree that this is a person who is recording his own wisdom that he has learned? It's basically just a guy giving his opinions. And it's never been anything else but that. It has to contain some truth otherwise it would not have endured so long, and it would never have been accepted into the canon of scripture.

I don't know if this even applies to you, but I feel really sorry for anyone who can't understand what they are reading in it's original context. Any church that would quote anything out of context is one that I would probably avoid. Everything that is true in scripture is common sense, as long as the person is reading it correctly.
Of course I know that Proverbs is not part of the Pentateuch. Do you know what the Bible states about ALL scripture?

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJV

So here is another instance where you contradict your own holy book. Huh.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
My own "holy book"? Everything you said right there is completely false. But I don't know if you are joking or not.

What I believe is based on my common sense, not what any book tells me. If it doesn't match that, then I don't care what any book says. I just disregard it.
This statement is obviously false. Your religious beliefs are based on your own common sense? It's just a big coincidence that millions of others derive the same beliefs by reading them in the Bible?

Please, walk us through the logic of how you came to deduce that God exists and every detail of your beliefs about Him, using only your common sense.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:18 AM

50,450 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
The "lying" law you speak of from the Old Testament is actually more about giving false testimony in court, I believe.
So in your mind, that makes other lying okay? Perhaps that explains a lot.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Of course I know that Proverbs is not part of the Pentateuch. Do you know what the Bible states about ALL scripture?

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJV

So here is another instance where you contradict your own holy book. Huh.
I don't consider the Bible to be the holy book that you think. A lot of it is pure crap. I toss out that verse because it's either mistranslated, misinterpreted, maliciously inserted, or who knows what. I don't even care about that verse, and if any "religious" person tries to force it on me I would walk away. If that one verse stands in your way of appreciating a collection of ancient literature, or causes you to not believe in the divine, then I feel REALLY sorry for you.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:27 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,687,585 times
Everyone has a differing opinion in one way or another when it comes to religion. You or I may or may not agree with some beliefs but everyone is entitled to freely speak their mind.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:56 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,507,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You mean like dishonestly asking a question while not responding to any of the answers? Because you actually wanted to attack atheism (but actually shot your own argument down)?

Do you really think I want to spend all of my waking hours responding to what people say on this thread? I have a life. I asked a simple question to make people think. How does my OP attack atheism? Beyond that I don’t understand why people who claim to not be religious post on a religious forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality