Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Millions of people have chose Heaven through Jesus to be their life after death , and Even God tells the church today to go out and get more people to come as many are going to hell as God needs all people to go to heaven ........ , Yes God said in the church were I go that many people are going to hell , as Hell is not a invention of man ....... So people who ignore the call of God will get a wake up call in the after life but it will be to late .....
so why does god continue to create sin?

If having more peeps in heaven is important to god, why doesn't god jut rent space on a billboard or better yet, hold a revival in Madison Square Gardens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 09:49 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Millions of people have chose Heaven through Jesus to be their life after death , and Even God tells the church today to go out and get more people to come as many are going to hell as God needs all people to go to heaven ........ , Yes God said in the church were I go that many people are going to hell , as Hell is not a invention of man ....... So people who ignore the call of God will get a wake up call in the after life but it will be to late .....
Billions of people have chosen to subscribe to a whole myriad of beliefs over the centuries. Some of these beliefs promise an extension of life after death. The most famous example is probably the religion of the ancient Egyptians. Many ancient Egyptians went to great lengths to insure that they would have continued life.

IT DIDN'T HELP!

Because the truth is, all living things die.

That is just a common observation. Wishing it were not so and having faith that it is not so cannot change physical reality.

God never tells anyone anything, much in the same way that Osiris never tells anyone anything, and Zeus never tells anyone anything. Still, people of various and very divergent faiths believe that they have invisible friends whom they can talk to.

Which makes them very special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDcShv_r20

Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
The exact value of Pi is an integer between 0 and 1? My, someone needs a bit of remedial math! I hope that wasn't in your dissertation...
But to indulge your nonsequitur and change topic, I would say that Pi is a fitting analogy for reality itself.
It is what it is, it is not changing, it is (to the best of our knowledge) infinite, and while we may never be able to represent it exactly, we are constantly improving our knowledge and understanding of it, we have methods for doing so reliably, and we have been able to calculate, understand, and harness it sufficiently to accomplish quite a lot.
And at no point in the investigation of Pi did we need to declare reason and logic useless, no need for "non-overlapping magisteria", no need for deep meditation to impart universal truth to us, and no need to Just Believe...
So, yeah, Pi is not a bad analogy at all...
-NoCapo
Glad to see that you were able to see deeply enough into the analogy on your own despite your attempted dig at my dissertation The original was a zero to one integer for the existence of God, but God is infinite.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The original was a zero to one integer for the existence of God, but God is infinite.
Yeah, that still doesn’t make any sense...

Regardless of your personal belief about god, it either is or isn’t. Zero or one. There is no inbetween.

However, I will say that your attempt to change the subject and interject your own dogma into a conversation about something else was well done, I give it an 8 of 10 on technical merit, and a 9.5 for ego gratification! Well done, you!

-NoCapo

Old 12-18-2018, 12:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
What we should reasonably expect to encounter on a religious open discussion forum such as this is non believers explaining in great detail just why religion is undeniable hokum, and Christians explaining in great detail just why their claims are undeniably true. What we actually encounter however are non believers explaining in great detail just why religion is undeniable hokum, and Christians whining about what bad people non believers are. And somehow an incredible God sent opportunity to "spread the Good News" is being completely squandered. If Jesus hadn't been dead for 2,000 years he would be ashamed of them.
Thats a fact.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
This is the source of my confusion. You seem very keen to make a large and important distinction between me and my view of the world and you and your view of the world, and yet, I can't for the life of me understand what it is. You first say you don't do "divine" or supernatural, which would seem to rule out "god" for any meaningful definition, and then you ask why does it have to be "god or no god". You have already said you have ruled out god just a few sentences before!

I don't disagree with you, I don't think "god" is a useful or meaningful answer to anything. I think we should take the universe for what it is, as it is, and use the best tools we have to understand it. I just fail to see why you think your views are so fundamentally different from mine. You seem to be trying to make a distinction where there is none, and I am not sure why.

-NoCapo
the difference is you said its either god or no god. i said I don't thinks so. I think the universe universing is what many theist and spiritual types are mislabeling as a 'god". "ITS" something, "no god' is not a descriptor on what is going on. I guess a better way of saying it might be its between them being all wrong and us being all right. so it comes down to the best descriptor we have for the system we are in. To me anyway.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:57 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the difference is you said its either god or no god. i said I don't thinks so. I think the universe universing is what many theist and spiritual types are mislabeling as a 'god". "ITS" something, "no god' is not a descriptor on what is going on.
Again, I am still confused... if theists are indeed mistaken when they label “something” that is neither supernatural nor divine as god, then you appear to be squarely in “no god” territory... You so far are advocating nothing that I would dispute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I guess a better way of saying it might be its between them being all wrong and us being all right. so it comes down to the best descriptor we have for the system we are in. To me anyway.
Again, I don’t see where you are going... So far you are presenting a fairly standard atheist outlook. Reality is what it is, and is best adressed through reason and evidence, not superstition and unfalsifiable claims. Is that not what you are saying? Yet you seem to think you are saying something different than the rest of us? This is where I get confused, you seem to be very vocally and argumentatively agreeing with the other atheists on the board.

-NoCapo

Old 12-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Again, I am still confused... if theists are indeed mistaken when they label “something” that is neither supernatural nor divine as god, then you appear to be squarely in “no god” territory... You so far are advocating nothing that I would dispute...

Again, I don’t see where you are going... So far you are presenting a fairly standard atheist outlook. Reality is what it is, and is best adressed through reason and evidence, not superstition and unfalsifiable claims. Is that not what you are saying? Yet you seem to think you are saying something different than the rest of us? This is where I get confused, you seem to be very vocally and argumentatively agreeing with the other atheists on the board.

-NoCapo
Oh I see, other atheist. No, I am just talking to you and addressing your statement.

yes I am presenting a standard atheist view point. I am definitely a standard atheist. I make no choices or draw any conclusion on a statement of belief about god. yes god or no god have very little to do with how i draw conclusions.

i see people behaving and I draw a conclusion as to why. A conclusion that offers a mechanism, explanation, and makes predictions are better, more valid, than those that don't. period. Its not based on "god yes" or "god no".

where am i going? You said "yes god or no god" are our only choices. I said i don't see it that way and gave you my reasons. I told you people are reacting to the system of life around them and mislabeling it a 'god". They are mistaken, in that some of the traits are wrong, That is the in between.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:30 PM

611 posts, read 280,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If God speaks...
If God speaks, wisdom should show itself...or whatever.

Can you figure the answer out to this little debate...he can't see what I'm saying, that part of a universe is always a part of the universe...too simple...but not when it's a WHAT?

-

The Theory of Oneness

Can anyone figure this out?

A part of the universe is a part of the universe. [Truth or Lie?]
A part of a universe is a property of the universe. [Truth or Lie?]

A part of the universe is not a property of the universe. [Truth or Lie?]

A part of the universe is not a ________ of the universe. [Truth or Lie?]

What is not a part of the universe? Where did it go? Where could it go?

-

Old 01-05-2019, 04:15 AM

its not truth or lie only.

its 1/2 truth and 1/2 lies that are the problem. well, actually people are the problem. They use 1/2 truths to control others. we see it in religion and we see it in atheism. Its just that there are more religious, for now, so they are a bigger problem.

you have some good stuff aura ...
I think.
the delivery needs work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality