U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2018, 02:02 PM
 
Location: USA
3,231 posts, read 1,111,234 times
Reputation: 942

Advertisements

I had a conversation once with a woman who told me that she had undeniable proof of God's existence. God once sent the rains to cover the Earth. After the water subsided, God promised that He would not destroy the Earth by flood again.

[i]Genesis 9:
[11] And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. ]/i]

Every year for thousands of years since then, it has rained. And God has kept His promise. Water levels have remained constant. Only the existence of an omnipotent Being, she declared, could explain the ability necessary to regulate the water levels.

Because in her mind, the water falls fresh and new from heaven each time it rains, so God is necessarily required to constantly take away the excess.

I attempted to explain evaporation to her. She seemed to follow along with the process of steam produced by a boiling pot, because that was something she had experience with. When I told her that water is simply a molecule (H2O) however, and that the very same water molecules that she drinks have passed through the systems of various plants and animals countless times, she became outraged. It was not in God's plan that she should drink recycled pee water she insisted. Science was wrong. God makes the water fresh and new each time it rains.

Like it or not, modern scientific observation indicates that rain is simply water molecules that have largely been recycled from lakes and the oceans. The process of evaporation thankfully tends to leave the waste products behind in the lakes and ocean. But in the final analysis, a water molecule is a water molecule. It remains a water molecule even as it passes through the excretory systems of humans, cows...or dinosaurs. Because the FACT is that everything is recycled. Even the particles that make up our bodies were once other things, and will go on to be yet other things when we are through using them.

In make believe of course, God can accomplish exactly what the individual believers require of Him. As long as the believers are continent to remain in a perpetually childlike state of ignorance.

So which is it to be? Knowledge based on impersonal empirical observation? Or the ignorant bliss of make believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2018, 02:08 PM
 
3,350 posts, read 2,333,668 times
Reputation: 502
Why two threads about the same topic, in the same forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 02:13 PM
 
Location: USA
3,231 posts, read 1,111,234 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Why two threads about the same topic, in the same forum?
This second one is a reply to the first one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 02:16 PM
 
3,350 posts, read 2,333,668 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
This second one is a reply to the first one.
Juxtaposing threads? Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 02:20 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
11,787 posts, read 7,640,157 times
Reputation: 17333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
...............I attempted to explain evaporation to her.........believers are continent to remain in a perpetually childlike state of ignorance.
Interesting.
Did you also explain how the egg and sperm combine to create a fully developed human being, equipped with the proper number of arms, legs and toes, and even equipped with eyes?
'Cause I've never really understood that one. My childlike ignorance is probably in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 03:46 PM
 
3,350 posts, read 2,333,668 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Interesting.
Did you also explain how the egg and sperm combine to create a fully developed human being, equipped with the proper number of arms, legs and toes, and even equipped with eyes?
'Cause I've never really understood that one. My childlike ignorance is probably in the way.
Each spermatozoa actually carry coding for infinite spermatozoa... sperm in sperm x's infinity.


Twin in situ may appear as evidence to some for the Biblical reference to legions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,240 posts, read 11,027,692 times
Reputation: 15187
"So which is it to be? Knowledge based on impersonal empirical observation?
Or the ignorant bliss of make believe?'

This is your direct question, so....I would go with whatever gives you bliss...
cuz hard to beat ''bliss''!!

Do I want to follow 'knowledge", (aka logic, observable matter..also known as what you see
with your woefully limited senses and little pea brain?)
Or b-l-i-s-s!!!!!

Um, I go with Bliss...since nothing I see with my eyes open is real anyway.

(I still go with direct experience of bliss...seeing is believing...I don't go along with blind faith...
of something that is called Bliss, Nirvana, samadhi, satchitanand, Self-realization, union with God or Cosmic Consciousness ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 PM
 
10,961 posts, read 4,292,827 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I had a conversation once with a woman who told me that she had undeniable proof of God's existence. God once sent the rains to cover the Earth. After the water subsided, God promised that He would not destroy the Earth by flood again.

[i]Genesis 9:
[11] And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. ]/i]

Every year for thousands of years since then, it has rained. And God has kept His promise. Water levels have remained constant. Only the existence of an omnipotent Being, she declared, could explain the ability necessary to regulate the water levels.

Because in her mind, the water falls fresh and new from heaven each time it rains, so God is necessarily required to constantly take away the excess.

I attempted to explain evaporation to her. She seemed to follow along with the process of steam produced by a boiling pot, because that was something she had experience with. When I told her that water is simply a molecule (H2O) however, and that the very same water molecules that she drinks have passed through the systems of various plants and animals countless times, she became outraged. It was not in God's plan that she should drink recycled pee water she insisted. Science was wrong. God makes the water fresh and new each time it rains.

Like it or not, modern scientific observation indicates that rain is simply water molecules that have largely been recycled from lakes and the oceans. The process of evaporation thankfully tends to leave the waste products behind in the lakes and ocean. But in the final analysis, a water molecule is a water molecule. It remains a water molecule even as it passes through the excretory systems of humans, cows...or dinosaurs. Because the FACT is that everything is recycled. Even the particles that make up our bodies were once other things, and will go on to be yet other things when we are through using them.

In make believe of course, God can accomplish exactly what the individual believers require of Him. As long as the believers are continent to remain in a perpetually childlike state of ignorance.

So which is it to be? Knowledge based on impersonal empirical observation? Or the ignorant bliss of make believe?
It seems to be both, in varying degrees., in people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
5,790 posts, read 5,639,674 times
Reputation: 5037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I had a conversation once with a woman who told me that she had undeniable proof of God's existence. God once sent the rains to cover the Earth. After the water subsided, God promised that He would not destroy the Earth by flood again.

[i]Genesis 9:
[11] And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. ]/i]

Every year for thousands of years since then, it has rained. And God has kept His promise. Water levels have remained constant. Only the existence of an omnipotent Being, she declared, could explain the ability necessary to regulate the water levels.

Because in her mind, the water falls fresh and new from heaven each time it rains, so God is necessarily required to constantly take away the excess.

I attempted to explain evaporation to her. She seemed to follow along with the process of steam produced by a boiling pot, because that was something she had experience with. When I told her that water is simply a molecule (H2O) however, and that the very same water molecules that she drinks have passed through the systems of various plants and animals countless times, she became outraged. It was not in God's plan that she should drink recycled pee water she insisted. Science was wrong. God makes the water fresh and new each time it rains.

Like it or not, modern scientific observation indicates that rain is simply water molecules that have largely been recycled from lakes and the oceans. The process of evaporation thankfully tends to leave the waste products behind in the lakes and ocean. But in the final analysis, a water molecule is a water molecule. It remains a water molecule even as it passes through the excretory systems of humans, cows...or dinosaurs. Because the FACT is that everything is recycled. Even the particles that make up our bodies were once other things, and will go on to be yet other things when we are through using them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llbx5OyZEFA

Last edited by mensaguy; Yesterday at 05:23 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
 
Location: USA
3,231 posts, read 1,111,234 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Dirt is composed of rotted vegetation, poo, and ground up rocks. No dirt, no crops. No crops, and we are all a bunch of Starvin' Marvins.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top