Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

I'd rather the link worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 08:58 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yes, I meant to mention that.

OP, do you have a working link to the story you are referencing?

Old 12-15-2018, 09:15 PM

11,026 posts, read 5,982,960 times
I was waiting for someone to tell me my son was going to hell for his suicide. I'm not sure what I was planning to do - probably tell him exactly how where and when to go to hell themself. But no-one did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is a Catholic thing. Protestants do not believe this.
Yes they do. Depending on which one I suppose. In my parts they don't seem to.

In my sister's community (Lutheran), anyone committing suicide would be buried with their grave oriented sideways and away from the main. It's considered (and called) self-murder.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The word "doctrine" means nothing more than "teachings." Are you meaning to say that everything every church teaches is "garbage."
What I mean is that this was a tragic human event that was occurring. He could have tried to handle it with some compassion and dignity. Instead he thought that he should inject his church's official teachings into a situation in which he should have just practiced the teachings of Christ instead. And doctrine will always violate that.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What I mean is that this was a tragic human event that was occurring. He could have tried to handle it with some compassion and dignity. Instead he thought that he should inject his church's official teachings into a situation in which he should have just practiced the teachings of Christ instead. And doctrine will always violate that.
He was just calling Jews vipers, nonJews dogs and swine, and turning over tables and throwing chairs, chasing people with whips. Completely innocent, WWJD, pearls before swine, sort of stuff.

At least, why would this particular priest ever see it otherwise?

Regardless, suicide and assisted suicide are complex doctrines in the Christian churches.
Most of the time, military personnel must commit a type of suicide/killing and self-sacrifice on the battlefield. Plus, if a disease is seen as leading to the suicide, then the disease can be blamed, rather than the person. If the person is deemed to have committed suicide for purely "self-serving" and "unnecessary" motives under their "full mental capacity," then it is most often frowned upon and interjected as illegal to the Holy Spirit and part of the only unforgivable sin "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit"... "self-murder" is thus either not an unforgivable sin, or another type of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, although blasphemy means something completely related to speech.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-15-2018 at 11:49 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 03:40 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I meant to mention that.

OP, do you have a working link to the story you are referencing?
Here is is, https://www.foxnews.com/us/parents-w...uneral-removed . I "reported" my own post. My apologies.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:14 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I was waiting for someone to tell me my son was going to hell for his suicide. I'm not sure what I was planning to do - probably tell him exactly how where and when to go to hell themself. But no-one did.

In my sister's community (Lutheran), anyone committing suicide would be buried with their grave oriented sideways and away from the main. It's considered (and called) self-murder.
It saddens me every time I see your posts about your son. You show a great deal of strength to be able to talk about it. I can't imagine the pain you have felt, and am so sorry you lost your son.

Not all Lutherans think the way your sister's church does. In the United States, there are at least 3 denominations of Lutherans. Two are strict, conservative denominations. The ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) is a liberal Christian denomination similar to the Episcopal (Anglican) church. (As a matter of fact, Episcopal and ELCA pastors are permitted to perform rituals in each others' churches.) [Evangelical is just the NAME of the denomination. It is NOT an accurate description of them.] ELCA Lutherans would never treat anybody badly over a suicide.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

I was atheist before I really understood this notion but once I heard it I was like "That's absolutely wrong". That's akin to holding a car responsible for not driving "normal" with a flat. Or holding a person that lost a leg for not be able to run "normal", with no aid that is.

I don't know you or what goes on in your life but losing your son is horrible. You are a "strong atheist" so i will be more blunt with you. It was either "parents", mental, or some of life's twist and turns that took your son. either way, if there is a heaven your son's debt is paid in full and he is their.

I believe, because I am atheist, that he was in heaven by knowing you and your wife and he had the best the situation could allow for.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
I read the story on two other sites yesterday, one American (not the Fox report) and the other European. Both mentioned that the parents had met with the priest before the funeral to discuss the arrangements and what they wanted as a homily. This may have been the U.S. site.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/20...p-news-videos/

I am a former Catholic, and was raised in the era when unbaptized babies and suicides were buried in a section of ground outside the regular cemetery, etc. My infant sister could only be buried in a cemetery with her Protestant grandparents if the grave was constructed according to the specifications of the priest so that is would be a little piece of Catholic holy ground within the heretical graveyard. Thus, this priest's doctrinal stand seems SOP for R.C. clergy.

What I think is heinous is that he did not come right out at the meeting with the parents and state what his position was, and that he could not conduct their son's funeral without questioning his act and mentioning his possible condemnation to hell. This - to my mind - is the bigger problem. He could have spared them the ugliness that he made of their son's funeral by being forthright, but he evidently was not. He treacherously set them up for pain and humiliation.

You have your doctrinal beliefs, father - okay, give this funeral a no-go; but his preferred route was one of evil.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Shame on that priest.
Perfect example of - Think it, believe it, don't say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality