Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This to my mind is about the only reason to believe in an afterlife. When I was contemplating suicide at Cornell one of the RA's, who was Jewish said "how do you know it's not going to be worse" in the afterlife. Even though neither of us particularly believed in the afterlife the uncertainty was a factor in persuading me not to "gorge out", or leap into one of Cornell's scenic gorges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, that is a HUGE HUGE risk to take, you could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire...we just dont know.

I cannot believe this thought doesnt enter into the minds of those who commit suicide and go thru with it, they must have some expectation that killing themselves will relieve them and/or make them feel better...right?
jbgusa, I am glad that you successfully got through that dark period of your life. However, I don't find these arguments convincing.

We all die. Sooner or later, it will happen. Should there be an afterlife, if it is worse than our current life, there is nothing to be done about it. Absolutely nothing. Whether we die today, or 50 years from now, that fate will still meet us. Avoiding suicide, while generally meritorious for other reasons, doesn't change that fact.

Aside from this, we are back to the reasons to be an atheist. We have no good reason to expect an afterlife, and even if we did suspect an afterlife, we have no reason to expect it to be good, bad, or indifferent. Given the lack of information available to us, it only makes sense to base our decisions on this life, without worrying about an afterlife about which we know absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 05:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Sort of like people going on Christian message boards and attacking religion, trying to destroy their belief.
This isn't a 'Christian' massage board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Atheists are rabid on this forum.
...and thank goodness for it. Otherwise, rabid Christians would be taking over the world. Perhaps you think we should just sit down, shut up and let you get on with it huh? We 'rabid' atheists are here to tell you that it isn't going to happen. 'New atheism' is here and we are going to fight the spread of your superstitious hogwash.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Sort of like people going on Christian message boards and attacking religion, trying to destroy their belief. There are bad people that just like to mock people everywhere. This priest was wrong.
actually, I am more worried about 'blind faith" more than anything else. It destroys so many reasonable conclusions that it really needs to be outlawed.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
jbgusa, I am glad that you successfully got through that dark period of your life. However, I don't find these arguments convincing.

We all die. Sooner or later, it will happen. Should there be an afterlife, if it is worse than our current life, there is nothing to be done about it. Absolutely nothing. Whether we die today, or 50 years from now, that fate will still meet us. Avoiding suicide, while generally meritorious for other reasons, doesn't change that fact.

Aside from this, we are back to the reasons to be an atheist. We have no good reason to expect an afterlife, and even if we did suspect an afterlife, we have no reason to expect it to be good, bad, or indifferent. Given the lack of information available to us, it only makes sense to base our decisions on this life, without worrying about an afterlife about which we know absolutely nothing.
You are right, if we eventually will end up in a more terrible place, it wont matter, but its second nature to try and put that off as long as possible, to stay alive as long as possible.

If someone said you had to go to prison for the rest of your life, but you could go tomorrow or 30 yrs from now...Id bet everyone waits as long as possible.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:44 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
At a funeral, there is a more or less captive audience.
Even at funerals the "captives" can occasionally find themselves involved in the action.

About 25 years ago I attended a Catholic funeral for a man I worked with. Not being Catholic, or even a Christian, I simply sat quietly during the responses. And of course, I declined to take communion. One of the priests, an old man, noticed me standing quietly during communion, and questioned me. I admitted that, not only was I not a Catholic, but that I was an atheist. He actually brightened, and went into his spiel about Jesus and salvation. I listened quietly, and then responded back. His face grew dark as I spoke and suddenly he tried to slap my face. Being twice my age and half my size I simply blocked his slap with my hand. He began shouting threats to my "mortal soul" and stalked off.

As a rule funerals are not as entertaining as that one was.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:45 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are right, if we eventually will end up in a more terrible place, it wont matter, but its second nature to try and put that off as long as possible, to stay alive as long as possible.

If someone said you had to go to prison for the rest of your life, but you could go tomorrow or 30 yrs from now...Id bet everyone waits as long as possible.
Except we know for a fact that prison exists, and we know that the conditions are not desirable. It is therefore a reasonable action to delay going to prison.

A better analogy would be to say that there are a million unmarked doors in front of you. One leads to paradise, one leads to torment, and 999,998 lead to oblivion. You must choose a door sooner or later, and you are in tremendous pain right now, do you choose now or later?

Old 12-24-2018, 11:06 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Even at funerals the "captives" can occasionally find themselves involved in the action.

About 25 years ago I attended a Catholic funeral for a man I worked with. Not being Catholic, or even a Christian, I simply sat quietly during the responses. And of course, I declined to take communion. One of the priests, an old man, noticed me standing quietly during communion, and questioned me. I admitted that, not only was I not a Catholic, but that I was an atheist. He actually brightened, and went into his spiel about Jesus and salvation. I listened quietly, and then responded back. His face grew dark as I spoke and suddenly he tried to slap my face. Being twice my age and half my size I simply blocked his slap with my hand. He began shouting threats to my "mortal soul" and stalked off.

As a rule funerals are not as entertaining as that one was.
I can't beat that. But many years ago, long after I stopped being a catholic, my father and aunt came down to visit me (they lived in NYS, I then lived outside of D.C.). They wanted to go to mass, so I relented. In the middle of the mass, directly in front of me, a man suddenly went hysterical. It lasted long enough that men literally carried him outside the church. I had joked before we went into the church that the walls might cave in when I entered...but I thought this was even better evidence that I didn't belong in a catholic church.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:23 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can't beat that. But many years ago, long after I stopped being a catholic, my father and aunt came down to visit me (they lived in NYS, I then lived outside of D.C.). They wanted to go to mass, so I relented. In the middle of the mass, directly in front of me, a man suddenly went hysterical. It lasted long enough that men literally carried him outside the church. I had joked before we went into the church that the walls might cave in when I entered...but I thought this was even better evidence that I didn't belong in a catholic church.
You never know when you will be "filled with the Holy Spirit."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbgmWSI3axM

Old 12-24-2018, 03:48 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,023 times
Quote:
You never know when you will be "filled with the Holy Spirit."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbgmWSI3axM
Or anxiety, especially after the death of a parent, as indicated in the video.

Anxiety can be an extremely humiliating condition.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:55 PM

35,054 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
And of course, I declined to take communion. One of the priests, an old man, noticed me standing quietly during communion, and questioned me. I admitted that, not only was I not a Catholic, but that I was an atheist.
I went to my one and only Catholic funeral in June 1978. I am Jewish and had no idea what communion was. I accidentally ingested the wafer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality