Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 07:57 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,094,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It doesn't make sense. The church is the "scapegoat" for atheists. They're worse than any religious fundamentalist.
Apparently, you disregarded my advice to lie down, eyes closed, with a cool, damp cloth on your forehead until you felt better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:23 PM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
Quote:
It doesn't make sense. The church is the "scapegoat" for atheists. They're worse than any religious fundamentalist.
Do you feel that these molestations should simply be excused because they are done by the religious? Because to argue your christian beliefs in this particular thread pretty much does that.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,815,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Do you feel that these molestations should simply be excused because they are done by the religious? Because to argue your christian beliefs in this particular thread pretty much does that.
What atheists don't realize is that churches represent different political ideologies. They don't represent God. And since atheists are a part of those same ideologies themselves, then they are just as guilty as any members of the churches.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
What atheists don't realize is that churches represent different political ideologies. They don't represent God. And since atheists are a part of those same ideologies themselves, then they are just as guilty as any members of the churches.
What is wrong with you? How many times do we have to tell you that:
Most of us who are now atheists were christians.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:29 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,815,749 times
Quote:
What is wrong with you? How many times do we have to tell you that:
Most of us who are now atheists were christians.
There is nothing wrong with that.

But understand that church is a community. Atheists are always talking about how they were part of the church history in the past because that was the "thing to do" in the past. Atheists supposedly were stigmatized throughout history if they left the church.

So now you're trying to tell me that there were no atheists in the past? You can't have it both ways.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:29 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,492,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This specific racism is a product of southern culture, combined with depraved and lost "churches". That's 'churches' in a building and membership sense, not 'the church' as in the 'body of Christ'.

Jesus spoke out against such vile hatred of others, so Jesus would be more disgusted by this racism than any of us could ever be.

Get it straight; the roots and causes. This is the worst of American culture, to the core. Throwing stones at the wrong target creates more problems for everyone.
Sigh. It was not only Southerners who were racist.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,524,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Sigh. It was not only Southerners who were racist.
nore is it just one group of people these days.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with that.

But understand that church is a community. Atheists are always talking about how they were part of the church history in the past because that was the "thing to do" in the past. Atheists supposedly were stigmatized throughout history if they left the church.

So now you're trying to tell me that there were no atheists in the past? You can't have it both ways.
Honestly...what are you talking about? That post has virtually nothing to with my post.

This is exactly why I am coming the conclusion that you argue for the sake of arguing.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:42 AM

36,229 posts, read 30,671,050 times
Quote:
So you doubt their sincerity.

Another black eye for christianity.
Obviously I cant speak for the leaders of the Southern Baptist convention. I am pointing out that other organizations, Charleston, the university of NC, Delaware, Georgetown, etc. have made formal apologies for slavery because slavery existed in our country, as it did in the rest of the world, for a time.

Christians are human and humans are fallible, they are sinners, they are immoral. At some point in our history all groups engaged in some aspect of slavery.

Again I believe you have some misguided notion that because one identifies as a follower of Christ they must be infallible, above reproach, and without sin. A religious organization is no better than its members.

Personally I think it is ridiculous and yes without sincerity for an individual or an organization to apologize for something that happen before they were even born for which they had no part in nor control over.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:03 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,094,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
...snip...
Personally I think it is ridiculous and yes without sincerity for an individual or an organization to apologize for something that happen before they were even born for which they had no part in nor control over.
The symbolism is important to those who have been wronged, and their descendants, in order for them to forgive and heal.

But if the apology is insincere, it is just more empty church-speak from Christian hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality