Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:17 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no GC, its about assigning traits to god. I just can't, in all honesty. teach that blind faith is anything but nonsense and dangerous. we would not have made cell phones if we just believed what we wanted.

what traits do you assign it that lead back to what we know?

list one, lets see if we can link it to the standard model. its better you do it, but I think I need to show you how we think as apposed to what we think.
Opposed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:33 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Opposed...
lmao ... thank you.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:15 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao ... thank you.
Couldn’t resist...

Old 12-23-2018, 11:55 AM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes (for the proof) and no (for the verifiable evidence). Asking for 'verifiable evidence' is the same as 'not asking for proof or 100% guarantee'.

And for the nth time, if you have no evidence:
1) we have no reason to believe, and
2) logically your belief must be most likely false.

We have the problem you can not grasp the difference between evidence based faith and faith without evidence?

It seems it is you who has a problem understanding words.

Your straw man has nothing to do with our arguments.
What I find a little bit pathetic is that most religious people base their faith on family habit. If their parents were methodist...they are, and so forth. And that family habit often goes back several generations. It isn't something that is based on any deep thought about religion. At most, most churchgoers don't read the bible independently, they rely on a priest or minister to tell them what they're supposed to believe. It's a very lazy form of belief for the vast majority. In fact, the stats that christians rely on are, in a sense, fake news. Most of those christians out there don't go to church with any regularity, would choose of football game over a church service, and have based their whole lives -- or say they base their lives -- on something they haven't even studied. It is a veneer of belief.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:32 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What I find a little bit pathetic is that most religious people base their faith on family habit. If their parents were methodist...they are, and so forth. And that family habit often goes back several generations. It isn't something that is based on any deep thought about religion. At most, most churchgoers don't read the bible independently, they rely on a priest or minister to tell them what they're supposed to believe. It's a very lazy form of belief for the vast majority. In fact, the stats that christians rely on are, in a sense, fake news. Most of those christians out there don't go to church with any regularity, would choose of football game over a church service, and have based their whole lives -- or say they base their lives -- on something they haven't even studied. It is a veneer of belief.
What you say is made very obvious when seeing the attendance figures all year long and then on Christmas and Easter

Old 12-23-2018, 05:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But they eventually grow up and see that everyone was raised in their own churches, each with their own teachings. So they know that their true faith must come from an internal place.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:55 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Too early to say this, having just read about the type of tumor. (and I know more than the average person about gliomas)
Not sure what type of church the girls family go to, Pentecostal?
I hope for the young girls case it is cured.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:30 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Faith based on evidence.

Bridges rarely fall, planes usually fly without accidents, medicines usually work.

You admit your faith has no evidence, and I respect that honesty. But that is the difference between the two.
I think it doesn’t matter if I admit or not, the dictionary already told you what’s the meaning of (religious) faith”.

So, if “faith” is based on evidence then it’s not “faith” anymore as it does not meet the very definition of “faith” per the dictionary.

Now that you, hopefully, learned the MEANINGS of the word “faith” , you won’t demand evidence when someone says he has faith in God, BECAUSE faith is NOT based on evidence.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Yes (for the proof) and no (for the verifiable evidence). Asking for 'verifiable evidence' is the same as 'not asking for proof or 100% guarantee'.

And for the nth time, if you have no evidence:
1) we have no reason to believe, and
2) logically your belief must be most likely false.

We have the problem you can not grasp the difference between evidence based faith and faith without evidence?

It seems it is you who has a problem understanding words.

Your straw man has nothing to do with our arguments.
Already answered above.

Now that you have learned the meaning of the word “faith”, most of your post does not warrant an answer.
I am sure you are smart and intelligent enough to figure it out with the newly learned piece of knowledge - but do Thank the dictionary though.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Faith based on evidence.

Bridges rarely fall, planes usually fly without accidents, medicines usually work.

You admit your faith has no evidence, and I respect that honesty. But that is the difference between the two.
When it’s based on evidence then it’s NOT (religious) faith. Remember the definition of the word (religious) faith? That new piece of knowledge that you recently learned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality