Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 09:50 PM

11,884 posts, read 3,672,992 times

Advertisements

Isa 48:1 Hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and have come out from the waters of Judah, who swear by Jehovah's name and profess by the God of Israel, not in truth or in righteousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 09:51 PM

This seems to be the born of water.....

Old 12-23-2018, 10:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 6,992,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Isa 48:1 Hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and have come out from the waters of Judah, who swear by Jehovah's name and profess by the God of Israel, not in truth or in righteousness.
They were descendants of Abraham, and his son Isaac, and his son Jacob, renamed Israel by God.

As for why God chose to use the language of "water" specifically?

"“The line of Judah”—מִמֵּי יְהוּדָה (mimmê yehûḏāh)—is literally “the waters of Judah,” which could be a euphemism for semen; or else after the model of Deut 33:28; Ps 68:26 (lit., “fountain of Israel”)—Judah is pictured as the spring the stream of the people took its rise from. Conjectural emendation is not needed."

Grogan, G. W. (1986). Isaiah. In F. E. Gaebelein (Ed.), The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel (Vol. 6, p. 282). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:23 PM

The prophets seem to be looking ahead, not at a history

Isa 48:2 For they are called of the holy city, and rest themselves on the God of Israel; Jehovah of Hosts is His name.
Isa 48:3 I have declared the former things from then; and they went out of My mouth; and I made them hear; suddenly I acted, and they came about.
Isa 48:4 Because I knew that you are hard, and your neck is a sinew of iron, and your brow bronze.
Isa 48:5 And I declared to you from then; before it came I made you hear, lest you should say, My idol did them; and my image and my casted image commanded them.
Isa 48:6 You heard; see it all; and will you not declare? I made you hear new things from now, even hidden things, and you did not know them.
Isa 48:7 They are created now, and not from then; even before today, but you did not hear them; lest you should say, See, I knew them.

Iron from Rome?

Old 12-23-2018, 10:37 PM

1,382 posts, read 767,189 times
Quote:

The better translation is "loins" not "waters" or seminal fluids. The "house of Jacob" is the whole house of Israel. The house of Judah, the Jews, are part of the whole house of Jacob. Apparently, Judah, the Jews, are in the dog house, and have rebelled from birth (Isaiah 48:8), and will be dealt with the "furnace of affliction" (Isaiah 48:10).

Old 12-23-2018, 11:20 PM

18,976 posts, read 6,992,920 times
Quote:
The prophets seem to be looking ahead, not at a history

Isa 48:2 For they are called of the holy city, and rest themselves on the God of Israel; Jehovah of Hosts is His name.
Isa 48:3 I have declared the former things from then; and they went out of My mouth; and I made them hear; suddenly I acted, and they came about.
Isa 48:4 Because I knew that you are hard, and your neck is a sinew of iron, and your brow bronze.
Isa 48:5 And I declared to you from then; before it came I made you hear, lest you should say, My idol did them; and my image and my casted image commanded them.
Isa 48:6 You heard; see it all; and will you not declare? I made you hear new things from now, even hidden things, and you did not know them.
Isa 48:7 They are created now, and not from then; even before today, but you did not hear them; lest you should say, See, I knew them.

Iron from Rome?
Yes. Go back to chapter 46-47 and read the context. At the time that message was given to Isaiah, Babylon was not a great world power. But they rose up, and conquered Judah. But Judah fought back. And chapter 48 talks about how it happens -- instead of Babylon's idols being given devotion, Judah/Israel's God would be given glory.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:01 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,050,259 times
Israel = I-seir-el

Old 12-24-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Israel = I-seir-el
What?

H3478 (Strong)

יִשְׂרָאֵל

yiśrâ'êl

yis-raw-ale'

From H8280 and H410; he will rule as God; Jisrael, a symbolical name of Jacob; also (typically) of his posterity: - Israel.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:40 AM

9,686 posts, read 10,000,965 times
God gives the land from Genesis 15:18-21...`` In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abraham saying On to your seed I give this land , from the river of Egypt to the great river , the river Euphrates , the land of the Kenites, the Kenizites, the Kadmonites, the Hittites, and the Perizzites, the Rephaims , the Amorites , the Canaanites , the Girgasites, and the Jebusites ............................ Then in Genesis 28:13 God give to Jacob who the Israel .....``I am the Lord God of Abraham your father , and the God of Isaac , the land where you are lying , to you will I give it , and to your seed `` .............. See the Promise Lands of Israel came from God which God made in His covenant of the house of Isaac

Old 12-24-2018, 06:19 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,001,813 times
Quote:
Yeshayahu - Isaiah - Chapter 48

1 Hearken to this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and who emanated from the waters of Judah, who swear by the name of the Lord and make mention of the God of Israel, neither in truth nor in righteousness.

Rashi:

Hearken to this: The two tribes destined to go in exile to Babylon.

O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel: That is the tribe of Benjamin, who are not called by the tribe of Judah, but by the general name of the tribes of Israel.

and who emanated from the waters of Judah: And the tribe of Judah who emanated and ran from the waters of Judah’s pail, as Scripture states (Num. 24:7): “Water shall run out of his pails.”

neither in truth: As Jeremiah said, (5:2) “And if they say, ‘As the Lord lives,’ surely they swear falsely,” i.e., you were unworthy of being redeemed, but since they were called [as being] from the Holy City, and that caused them not to be exiled with the ten tribes in the time of Sennacherib, to Halah and Habor, for they have no redemption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality