Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:09 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times

Advertisements

Perhaps these churches are dying because they are lukewarm, as noted in Rev. 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 05:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Perhaps it's because more people today are better educated and can tell the difference between myth and reality.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yay. Another idiotic insulting, obnoxious, bigoted thread. Whoopee. C-D is so informative nowadays.
Is it true or not true that so many churches are closing, while others are half empty?

Do you care about the truth at all, or just talking points?

This article seems to be fair: https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...inational.html

Old 12-19-2018, 05:45 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Jimmie's back. Yea!

Great scripture showing how the Bible can be used to encourage extremism.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:49 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yay. Another idiotic insulting, obnoxious, bigoted thread. Whoopee. C-D is so informative nowadays.
You left out "provocative" and "antagonistic"...

While I'm not advocating for the existence of Churches (Agnostic after all), they may simply be suffering from the same plight as many other sectors of society. Brick and mortar stores are falling victim to online shopping, wholesale warehouse stores are re-tooling their business model because Millenials and Gen X? Y? (not sure the order behind Millenials) don't shop in bulk.

Tiny homes are growing in popularity over McMansions, social media and Skype is replacing real face time with friends and family, email replaced phone calls, texting replaced emails, I think something replaced texting, but I'm not tech savvy enough to know what....

Cyber-Sermons and Churches Without Walls on the horizon?

Old 12-19-2018, 05:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
I'm sure that the truth (news) had something to do with it.....let's see, in the last 24 hours we had the famous "Man of God" from Brazil accused of raping his daughter and 100's of others- the Catholic Church in just one of our states has now been found to have withheld the names of 500+ abuser Priests from their inquiries....and so much more.

If these Churches were held to the same standards as the rest of us, they'd be long out of business. Shouldn't they be placing "Sex Offender Warning" signs near churches at this point?

We're not talking a couple bad eggs here. We are talking conspiracy.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm sure that the truth (news) had something to do with it.....let's see, in the last 24 hours we had the famous "Man of God" from Brazil accused of raping his daughter and 100's of others- the Catholic Church in just one of our states has now been found to have withheld the names of 500+ abuser Priests from their inquiries....and so much more.

If these Churches were held to the same standards as the rest of us, they'd be long out of business. Shouldn't they be placing "Sex Offender Warning" signs near churches at this point?

We're not talking a couple bad eggs here. We are talking conspiracy.
kinda reminds me of government.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
We live in interesting times.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Maybe they're closing because Jesus isn't lifting a finger to help them because he simply doesn't exist.

Look, jimmi (welcome back, by the way ) Jesus could solve this problem and shut me and other vocal skeptics up forever if he would just do something.

JUST.....DO...SOMETHING! Anything!!!!

But he lets his house of worships shut down by the thousands. He lets millions of former Christians walk away from him. All this despite hundreds of millions of prayers offered up for just opposite results. All without giving a single sign or indication he cares.

He's behaving EXACTLY like we would expect him to behave if he wasn't real.

Now someone pointed out that churches are opening. That's well and good, though I don't think there's many people anywhere who are crazy enough from a financial point of view to open a church these days. But I haven't mentioned other places in the world such as Europe where church closings are going on faster than they are here. In fact, American is something of a success story when it comes to keeping churches open.

Try Great Britain

Quote:
between 2001 and 2011 the number of Christians born in Britain fell by 5.3 million — about 10,000 a week. If that rate of decline continues, [Christianity] will come to an end in 2067.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/06/...-christianity/

or this:

Quote:
500 UK Churches Closed While 423 Mosques Were Built on 'Sad Ruins of English Christianity': Report
https://www.christianpost.com/news/5...ty-report.html

Seems Jesus cares more about Islamists than he does those of the church he set up.

But this isn't about the numbers so much as it is about educated people in countries rich with excellent education systems finally waking up to the fact that Jesus is MIA. He's nowhere to be found---except in the hearts of the few stalwart believers who carry on.

Notice that in about 10 posts deriding my OP not a single poster mentioned Jesus' inaction. Not even a glimmer of excuse-making for why he's so conspicuously absent. I mean doesn't that fact alone tell us that Christians have absolutely no explanation for Jesus' so-obvious absence???

Old 12-19-2018, 07:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
My limited experience shows that Islamists tend to take their religion more seriously than most Christians or Jews that I know. Assuming that Muslims pray to the same God (which they do), that may be why God is making them #1 while putting his foot down on many sects of "Christianity". I use it in quotes since Christ himself (if he existed) would have wanted to use that name.....and a religion doesn't get to own or trademark anyone they want - especially a Jewish Rabbi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality