Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 03:16 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Notwithstanding Jeffbase's crowing about Jesus curing a little girl of cancer--a girl who had already undergone several rounds of chemo and radiation, by the way (I'm still laughing over that one!)--I still had to remind Jeff that while Jesus saw fit to single out this one little girl for his divine mercy he still lets another 100,000 gravely sick children die each year despite millions of prayers sent up to Jesus by grieving parents which he clearly just ignores judging by the obituaries. Jeff's rationalization: maybe this little girl will grow up to discover a cure for cancer while the other 100,000 might grow up to become rapists, ax-murderers and even income tax cheats--horrors!

But there's another sign that Jesus, if he isn't imaginary, is just an out-and-out do-nothing: he's letting between 6,000 and 10,000 Christian churches in America shut their doors each year. Bear in mind we are NOT talking about Catholic churches--they have their own moneybags in Rome. We're talking about small independent churches who receive no help at all other than from what parishioners donate week to week. And if there are only eight or ten people in the pews each week you can bet those churches are going to be boarding up their doors and windows shortly because they won't have any money to pay the bills, let alone pay their pastor the measly salary he receives for a 16 hour a day/7 day a week job.

Quote:
Between 6,000 and 10,000 churches in the U.S. are dying each year.
https://www.infowars.com/between-600...die-this-week/

Quote:
America’s Epidemic of Empty Churches
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ldings/576592/

Quote:
Abandoned America: Churches in sad states of decay

Haunting scenes of abandoned churches where the congregations have vanished
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...cay/565911002/

Quote:
churches closing and pastors leaving
So what is Jesus doing about this sad state of affairs? Where is Jesus while the church he founded collapses all around him? What exactly is he doing for the distraught pastors, board members and parishioners who send up never-ending prayers to him for help to save their churches?

Well, I'll tell you what I know he's doing for the 10,000 churches who shutter their doors each year:

Absolutely nothing.

Jesus is letting all these churches go down without lifting a finger and you have to ask yourself just exactly what good Jesus is to anyone--I mean aside from offering them the free gift of salvation. Where is Jesus when you actually need something tangible from him? Wasn't it Jesus who said:

Quote:
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:11
Sounds like more pretty but ultimately empty promises from Jesus.

And bear in mind we are not even talking about the millions of former Christians who snatch themselves out of Jesus' hands each year by leaving Christianity. Wasn't it Jesus who promised:

Quote:
No one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father has given them to me, and no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” John 10:28-30
More worthless promises from the Man from Galilee. Definitely do NOT put your hand in THIS guy's hand.

So as I said earlier, what proof do we have in reality that this Jesus character is even aware of what is happening in his own back yard? I mean he doesn't answers any prayers to speak of, he doesn't render any help that we can visibly discern, he doesn't talk to us or communicate in any discernible way except for this warm fuzzy feeling he puts in some people's hearts who carry on a one-way conversation with him; he's not visible.

For all practical purposes Jesus is completely non-existent. And the only people I know of who are completely non-existent are people who died 2000 years ago and whose ashes are blowing around Palestine today, or someone completely fictitious like a character in a Harry Potter novel.

Or in four gospels.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 12-19-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 03:22 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Theatrical Megachurches are popping up everywhere to try to take their tax-exempt place though.
Their crowds will have even worse mob-mentalities.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:22 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Yay. Another idiotic insulting, obnoxious, bigoted thread. Whoopee. C-D is so informative nowadays.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:29 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yay. Another idiotic insulting, obnoxious, bigoted thread. Whoopee. C-D is so informative nowadays.
Are you saying it is not factual? That 6k - 10k Christian churches are not closing per year?

Old 12-19-2018, 04:48 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Are you saying it is not factual? That 6k - 10k Christian churches are not closing per year?
Been happening for many many years. Churches close. More open.

But this isn't about the issues, this poster is known for having an agenda that goes much deeper than an honest discussion.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Notwithstanding Jeffbase's crowing about Jesus curing a little girl of cancer--a girl who had already undergone several rounds of chemo and radiation, by the way (I'm still laughing over that one!)--I still had to remind Jeff that while Jesus saw fit to single out this one little girl for his divine mercy he still lets another 100,000 gravely sick children die each year despite millions of prayers sent up to Jesus by grieving parents which he clearly just ignores judging by the obituaries. Jeff's rationalization: maybe this little girl will grow up to discover a cure for cancer while the other 100,000 might grow up to become rapists, ax-murderers and even income tax cheats--horrors!

But there's another sign that Jesus, if he isn't imaginary, is just an out-and-out do-nothing: he's letting between 6,000 and 10,000 Christian churches in America shut their doors each year. Bear in mind we are NOT talking about Catholic churches--they have their own moneybags in Rome. We're talking about small independent churches who receive no help at all other than from what parishioners donate week to week. And if there are only eight or ten people in the pews each week you can bet those churches are going to be boarding up their doors and windows shortly because they won't have any money to pay the bills, let alone pay their pastor the measly salary he receives for a 16 hour a day/7 day a week job.

https://www.infowars.com/between-600...die-this-week/

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ldings/576592/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...cay/565911002/

So what is Jesus doing about this sad state of affairs? Where is Jesus while the church he founded collapses all around him? What exactly is he doing for the distraught pastors, board members and parishioners who send up never-ending prayers to him for help to save their churches?

Well, I'll tell you what I know he's doing for the 10,000 churches who shutter their doors each year:

Absolutely nothing.

Jesus is letting all these churches go down without lifting a finger and you have to ask yourself just exactly what good Jesus is to anyone--I mean aside from offering them the free gift of salvation. Where is Jesus when you actually need something tangible from him? Wasn't it Jesus who said:

Sounds like more pretty but ultimately empty promises from Jesus.

And bear in mind we are not even talking about the millions of former Christians who snatch themselves out of Jesus' hands each year by leaving Christianity. Wasn't it Jesus who promised:

More worthless promises from the Man from Galilee. Definitely do NOT put your hand in THIS guy's hand.

So as I said earlier, what proof do we have in reality that this Jesus character is even aware of what is happening in his own back yard? I mean he doesn't answers any prayers to speak of, he doesn't render any help that we can visibly discern, he doesn't talk to us or communicate in any discernible way except for this warm fuzzy feeling he puts in some people's hearts who carry on a one-way conversation with him; he's not visible.

For all practical purposes Jesus is completely non-existent. And the only people I know of who are completely non-existent are people who died 2000 years ago and whose ashes are blowing around Palestine today, or someone completely fictitious like a character in a Harry Potter novel.

Or in four gospels.
unless its just doing the same thing jesus did. stood up to the priest of the day and shut down literal churches.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:55 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:

But this isn't about the issues, this poster is known for having an agenda that goes much deeper than an honest discussion.
So it is factual, but it is bigoted, insulting, and idiotic? That makes no sense.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:01 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
So it is factual, but it is bigoted, insulting, and idiotic? That makes no sense.
we have many a factual statement that is minimized by bigoted, insulting, and idiotic claims?

being factual has never been a reason to back off of attacking claims. In fact, the truth is the first casualty of war. And its most certainly covered up by claims that its bigoted, insulting, and idiotic.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:

Hehe. You said "honest."

Hehe.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
BF is not known for parsing reality the same as most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality