Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:28 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

I hope we don't get lost in this scuffle with logo over English which I believe he's deliberately doing to detract us from the topic. I posed the following points and raised a question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Some Christians have raised the issue:

Jesus is not responsible for his churches' success or failure.

* So Jesus isn't responsible for answering prayers despite what he says in the gospels.

* Jesus isn't responsible for keeping his houses of worship open so Christians can meet to worship him and fellowship with one another.

* Jesus isn't responsible for Christianity thriving and for keeping people saved instead of dropping out of Christianity by the millions.

What exactly is Jesus good for---just saving our souls and then leaving us homeless and sick in the streets to take care of ourselves?

Didn't Jesus say, "If you ask the Father for anything in my name he will give it it to you"?

Try praying, "Father, in Jesus name I just ask for a warm meal and a place to sleep this Christmas Eve." Go ahead you destitute Christians, pray that prayer and then see if a warm meal and a bed magically appear.
Would some Christian kindly let me (us) know just exactly why we should rely on Jesus for anything other than something as subjective as salvation? Is that the extent of Jesus' involvement with his church today? If it isn't then how does he help Christians if he doesn't answer their prayers or support his churches or help Christians when they are homeless or protect Christians from falling away from him?

Like I said in the thread title, he sounds like a big do-nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 12:47 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
I hope we don't get lost in this scuffle with logo over English which I believe he's deliberately doing to detract us from the topic. I posed the following points and raised a question:

Would some Christian kindly let me (us) know just exactly why we should rely on Jesus for anything other than something as subjective as salvation? Is that the extent of Jesus' involvement with his church today? If it isn't then how does he help Christians if he doesn't answer their prayers or support his churches or help Christians when they are homeless or protect Christians from falling away from him?

Like I said in the thread title, he sounds like a big do-nothing.
This general topic is what many of my questions revolved around when I was still a christian.

Someone would pray for a legitimate reason and sometimes things would go that way...although it was just as logical that they would have gone that way without prayer. Other times...most times...they would pray and pray and pray and nothing would happen or things would go against them. "Well, god had other plans". Okay, if god is going to do just what god wants to do anyway, then there's no need to pray. Or "God works in mysterious ways"...a stupid old chestnut.

There is NOTHING reliable about prayer. Just ask all the christian widows.

That's why the basic choices, from my point of view, are that there is no god, there is a deistic god, or god is just plain lazy.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:54 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
The comment on English was about orthography, #71.
Tone, body language, sarcasm (often missed in reading what has been written) and other such factors all play a part.
I see this everyday in these forums among native speakers.

The issue here is dishonesty, and my last comment shows it at work.
Come on, give the guy a bit of a break.
Thrill also has a title up...
"Dead Missionary Proves Beyond Shadow of Doubt Jesus is Imaginary "

Old 12-22-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This general topic is what many of my questions revolved around when I was still a christian.

Someone would pray for a legitimate reason and sometimes things would go that way...although it was just as logical that they would have gone that way without prayer. Other times...most times...they would pray and pray and pray and nothing would happen or things would go against them. "Well, god had other plans". Okay, if god is going to do just what god wants to do anyway, then there's no need to pray. Or "God works in mysterious ways"...a stupid old chestnut.

There is NOTHING reliable about prayer. Just ask all the christian widows.

That's why the basic choices, from my point of view, are that there is no god, there is a deistic god, or god is just plain lazy.
I acknowledge that prayer can be useful for lowering blood pressure and calming the soul. When a person prays they are having some sort of conversation with themselves that they often wrongly interpret to be conversing with God. Believing that God is listening to your troubles comforts many people.

Whether they're expecting good outcome from the prayer is a different matter. As many have said previously, statistically prayer has absolutely no effect on outcome. But lowering blood pressure through prayer is healthy and I encourage prayer as a means of soothing a restless spirit. It's good for a person to talk out their problems with themselves because often by talking out loud our minds come up with solutions that we never would have thought of had we not prayed.

So pray! Just don't expect any supernatural power to intervene on your behalf.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I acknowledge that prayer can be useful for lowering blood pressure and calming the soul. When a person prays they are having some sort of conversation with themselves that they often wrongly interpret to be conversing with God. Believing that God is listening to your troubles comforts many people.

Whether they're expecting good outcome from the prayer is a different matter. As many have said previously, statistically prayer has absolutely no effect on outcome. But lowering blood pressure through prayer is healthy and I encourage prayer as a means of soothing a restless spirit. It's good for a person to talk out their problems with themselves because often by talking out loud our minds come up with solutions that we never would have thought of had we not prayed.

So pray! Just don't expect any supernatural power to intervene on your behalf.
Meditation would probably have the same result.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:41 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Come on, give the guy a bit of a break.
Thrill also has a title up...
"Dead Missionary Proves Beyond Shadow of Doubt Jesus is Imaginary "

I didn't know that until he mentioned it. I don't read much in the religious section, but I took an interest in this thread because I was once in the same situation as the OP. I was raised catholic and when I became an adult I completely stopped believing. But the more I read atheist books the clearer it became that they are wrong in the position, not their arguments. Their arguments against organized religion and childish interpretation of the bible are very good.

That brings me to this position in which I don't agree with neither organized religion nor atheism. After some point it becomes a personal path. And you start seeing how god manifests not in what atheists criticize, as in the future churches will probably continue to decrease-with the exception of megachurches which are like big businesses- but in quite other people and quite other aspects of life.

I just read Thrill last comment:
"Just don't expect any supernatural power to intervene on your behalf."
But in the paragraph before you'll find: "...I encourage prayer as a means of soothing a restless spirit," and "I acknowledge that prayer can be useful for lowering blood pressure and calming the soul."

That is the type of contradiction in his arguments I was pointing before: I must be speaking in a foreign language.

Last edited by thelogo; 12-22-2018 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that until he mentioned it. I don't read much in the religious section, but I took an interest in this thread because I was once in the same situation as the OP. I was raised catholic and when I became an adult I completely stopped believing. But the more I read atheist books the clearer it became that they are wrong in the position, not their arguments. Their arguments against organized religion and childish interpretation of the bible are very good.

That brings me to this position in which I don't agree with neither organized religion nor atheism. After some point it becomes a personal path. And you start seeing how god manifests not in what atheists criticize, as in the future churches will probably continue to decrease-with the exception of megachurches which are like big businesses- but in quite other people and quite other aspects of life.

I just read Thrill last comment:
But in the paragraph before you'll find: "...I encourage prayer as a means of soothing a restless spirit," and "I acknowledge that prayer can be useful for lowering blood pressure and calming the soul."

That is the type of contradiction in his arguments I was pointing before: I must be speaking in a foreign language.
There's no contradiction at all. He's saying that there may be some positive benefits from prayer, just not the positive benefit that's promised.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:58 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times
Quote:
There's no contradiction at all. He's saying that there may be some positive benefits from prayer, just not the positive benefit that's promised.

I know that. That is not what I was referring to. I was talking about this:
I am interpreting this based on what he has said before: "Maybe they're closing because Jesus isn't lifting a finger to help them because he simply doesn't exist."

His believe is not that the supernatural power [Jesus in this case] listens but doesn't do anything; this side track is supposed to "hint" to us, that Jesus doesn't exist. It is proven in his eyes.

The contradiction is that he doesn't believe Jesus or any deity exist, but believes in the existence of the human soul and human spirit.

I'll leave you with that. I shouldn't have to explain such basic things.

Last edited by thelogo; 12-22-2018 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Meditation would probably have the same result.
Absolutely! But prayer is a hell of a lot cheaper!

Edit: my apology I thought you said, "Medication...." as in Xanax.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I know that. That is not what I was referring to. I was talking about this:
I am interpreting this based on what he has said before: "Maybe they're closing because Jesus isn't lifting a finger to help them because he simply doesn't exist."

His believe is not that the supernatural power [Jesus in this case] listens but doesn't do anything; this side track is supposed to "hint" to us, that Jesus doesn't exist. It is proven in his eyes.

The contradiction is that he doesn't believe Jesus or any deity exist, but believes in the existence of the human soul and human spirit.

I'll leave you with that. I shouldn't have to explain such basic things.
Thank you for your explanation of why your interpretation of his posts is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality