U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2018, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,117 posts, read 8,683,973 times
Reputation: 12302

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I remember one time sitting in an assembly of god church meeting once and was right behind the preacher's kid who was probably 12 or 13 at that time. I glanced over his shoulder and while his dad was preaching. The kid was drawing caricatures of his dad and other big shots in the church. They were actually quite well done.

I thought his dad was pretty much an arrogant buffoon. From the looks of the drawings it appeared that the kid did as well.
As you observed all pastors and elders are arrogant buffons.

Please donít stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2018, 11:22 PM
Status: "Spiffy." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
24,062 posts, read 12,451,396 times
Reputation: 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I remember one time sitting in an assembly of god church meeting once and was right behind the preacher's kid who was probably 12 or 13 at that time. I glanced over his shoulder and while his dad was preaching. The kid was drawing caricatures of his dad and other big shots in the church. They were actually quite well done.

I thought his dad was pretty much an arrogant buffoon. From the looks of the drawings it appeared that the kid did as well.
Puts me in mind of Rachael Slick, daughter of Matt "The Oil" Slick, of CARM infamy.

She got wise quickly to the rot that is American Christian Fundamentalism - as epitomized by her father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 07:56 AM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,734 posts, read 3,808,064 times
Reputation: 3990
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I thought his dad was pretty much an arrogant buffoon. From the looks of the drawings it appeared that the kid did as well.
Ours was an arrogant Buffoon as wellbut he was also a bully, a psychopath and a hateful racist

His son, who was a mildly retarded juvenile delinquent, would sleep through the sermons. Which was hard to do as his old man spent 30 to 45 minutes screaming at the top of his lungs.


I found a few tricks. One was to go to the bathroom during the 2nd song. It was in the back, although it had aspeaker piped i to it.
But the ushers who were in the foyer, would leave after the second song to pass out visitors cards. So that left no one at the main door, and it was a quick step outside. Then a return 55 minutes from the end. No one noticed and my parents thought i was there , i sat with other teens

Problem is, i did not do this sneaking out enough. But I guess I make up for it by only going at Christmas Eve now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM
 
35,676 posts, read 9,429,947 times
Reputation: 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As you observed all pastors and elders are arrogant buffons.

Please don’t stereotype.

He just mentioned one. Others mentioned others. This may not sit well with you, but trying to shame us into silence by claiming that we blanket ALL of them like that does not wash and hurts your case, not ours. I can mention the more valid argument by pointing theist propaganda that atheists are ALL like this or that and produce a few faked propaganda films of an atheist freaking out (after checking to see the camera was running) and a fairly recent discussion (or two) in which some appallingly unfair blanket claims were mad about atheists in spite of repeated corrections.

So we point up the Worst examples - as you should be doing; not telling us how unfair we are being. We accept that not all are loudmouths, fanatics, denialists, frauds and bigots. The rest are - simply, wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM
 
11,099 posts, read 4,335,122 times
Reputation: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
He just mentioned one. Others mentioned others. This may not sit well with you, but trying to shame us into silence by claiming that we blanket ALL of them like that does not wash and hurts your case, not ours. I can mention the more valid argument by pointing theist propaganda that atheists are ALL like this or that and produce a few faked propaganda films of an atheist freaking out (after checking to see the camera was running) and a fairly recent discussion (or two) in which some appallingly unfair blanket claims were mad about atheists in spite of repeated corrections.

So we point up the Worst examples - as you should be doing; not telling us how unfair we are being. We accept that not all are loudmouths, fanatics, denialists, frauds and bigots. The rest are - simply, wrong.
as you should be doing with atheism. You should apply the exact same rigor to atheism as you do theism. but you don't.

to funny , the "we will not be silenced" victim role again.

wow, it's funny how easily you show that it is personality type that express a belief. Your "victim role" and then siding with 'atheist because they ware the same t-shirt". is exactly the same as believers.

yeah, when the far left and far right bash me ... I am in a good spot. i don't cry "victim" and pick a side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:27 AM
 
35,676 posts, read 9,429,947 times
Reputation: 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
as you should be doing with atheism. You should apply the exact same rigor to atheism as you do theism. but you don't.

to funny , the "we will not be silenced" victim role again.

wow, it's funny how easily you show that it is personality type that express a belief. Your "victim role" and then siding with 'atheist because they ware the same t-shirt". is exactly the same as believers.

yeah, when the far left and far right bash me ... I am in a good spot. i don't cry "victim" and pick a side.
I at least look for anything that seems to be hurting our own case. I urge all atheists to do this. That you say that I don't do this is quite false and shows what's wrong with you, not me. Unfortunately, you put yourself outside atheism, not because of your views, but because you act like a theist - tossing out lies about us and refusing to be corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top