U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:54 PM

11,225 posts, read 4,366,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
This only applies if one assumes the intended destination is a place or state that has to be reached at some point after their physical death.
good point, I might need the light bulb changed for tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 PM

15,362 posts, read 7,739,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
correct.

And we also need to do our due diligence to assert that what's the probability of the existence of a destination, and then reaching to it, after our physical death.

As I have stated earlier, we should make wise choices after doing our due diligence because in the end, we may be responsible for our choices.
I'd say it's important to reach the destination now, and let the afterlife sort itself out.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:02 PM

15,362 posts, read 7,739,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
good point, I might need the light bulb changed for tonight.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:46 PM

7,305 posts, read 4,434,331 times
Trust, Hope, Faith, Loyalty, Desire... all five with sometimes heavily congruent meanings in slightly (but often very important) different ways

Old 01-07-2019, 06:02 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,373,580 times
Quote:
I'd say it's important to reach the destination now, and let the afterlife sort itself out.
I'd say that we will reap as what we sow.

So lets strike a fair balance in how do we live our day to day life, and stay consciousness in our actions and in our beliefs, to make sure we have something to stand on - just in case, if there is an after life.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:24 PM

24,154 posts, read 12,495,566 times
Quote:

So lets strike a fair balance in how do we live our day to day life, and stay consciousness in our actions and in our beliefs, to make sure we have something to stand on - just in case, if there is an after life.
If there is an afterlife, it is available to all. It's not some secret club open only to those with the correct god-thing decoder ring.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:38 PM

125 posts, read 23,600 times
Quote:
This only applies if one assumes the intended destination is a place or state that has to be reached at some point after their physical death.
For those who engage in the quest I'm describing, the intended destination is not God or religion. It's the Truth, or at least as close as we can get to it in this lifetime.

We believe this quest and the understanding of the Truth at which we arrive is important both because it informs and guides our conduct in this lifetime and because it may have eternal consequences.

This is all just as true for someone who engages in the quest and arrives at atheism as for one who does so and arrives at Christianity or some other species of belief. Anyone engaged in the quest is on "the ladder," even if the ladder stops at atheism.

Deciding there is no God and living as though there isn't is the faith of the atheist, simple as that. This is no different in substance from the faith of the deist, Christian or Hindu.

Those who engage in this quest recognize the value or they would not engage in it. The quest itself has value, even if the understanding of the Truth at which we arrive ultimately proves to be wrong.

Those who claim the quest for the Truth arises out of some "need" to "find God" completely misunderstand the nature of the quest. It arises out of a recognition of the value of approaching as close to the Truth as is possible in this lifetime, even if the Truth happens to be atheism.

Those who think atheism is some sort of default position for those who choose not to engage in the quest at all are completely misguided. Mindless atheism is no more a legitimate default position than mindless Christianity or mindless Scientology.

There is no legitimate default position. You can certainly choose not to engage in the quest at all, but you will be a shallow and superficial human being (as many people are). You may attach yourself to atheism or Christianity or some other belief system for cultural, social, political or economic reasons, but you will have no real belief system, merely the illusion of one.

It's interesting to me how those who believe they occupy some intellectual higher ground with atheism so consistently reveal their utter lack of comprehension of the epistemology of belief and unbelief. This is true of many believers as well, of course.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,373,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If there is an afterlife, it is available to all. It's not some secret club open only to those with the correct god-thing decoder ring.
That's the whole point to begin with.

If there is afterlife then logically speaking it's available to all.
And only then, my statement will be fair when I say, we will be responsible for our choices.

You can be an Atheist, Hindu Muslim Christian, Jewish, Pagan Buddhist, agnostic or whatever - if there is afterlife - it's for all.

And that's why I think, we should make wise choices.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:

I live just in case there are any one or many of a trillion afterlives.
What made you choose yours and they theirs?
Of course, regardless of how one chooses to phrase it, it was one's circumstances (both internal and external). Otherwise, by what circumstance does a human choose? And therein lays the paradox.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-08-2019 at 01:22 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post

Deciding there is no God and living as though there isn't is the faith of the atheist, simple as that. This is no different in substance from the faith of the deist, Christian or Hindu.
An "atheist faith" would be a faith that requires little faith, given that a deist must believe in extra things on faith while an atheist must not have to. And so on. No multitude of the religious would be willing to confess their agnosticism and celebrate their doubt, skepticism, and implement in their own ranks and subsequent or pertinent views an as unbiased inquiry as possible.

Most often, to be seen as "truly" religious, you must behave as "loyally religious" as possible. To be an atheist you must simply not accept any claims given about supposedly existing gods as truly descriptive of reality. Issues of loyalty thus never come into the picture until later cultural add-ons are brought in. In a very similar fashion to theism which might not require "loyalty issues" to come into focus except that theism has been highly culturized by various religions. In theism, you must accept at least some claims given about supposedly existing gods as at least likely/probably truly descriptive of reality. To say that all atheism must always ultimately rely on faith is to say that faith is somehow intricately and foundationally tied to any and every doubt and skepticism that can serve as a foundation for atheism or anti-polytheism, etc. That just seems like a rather big and paradoxical contradiction.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-08-2019 at 01:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality