Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 10:31 AM

8,607 posts, read 3,823,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafius View Post
good. Then i don't know what we have been discussing for the past two days.
lol - I ‘hear’ you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,834,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

I think the question raised by Mystic (post #295) is far more interesting to explore than individual labels (which is yet another reason why I continue to identify as an agnostic).
Which was....

'Why do WE complex intelligent beings exist then?'

Because we do. Why does there have to be a reason? ...and why do you consider us that special anyway? We excel in only one thing...intelligence. It was extremely fortunate for us that 'intelligence' was the lucky niche needed to survive and thrive. What would have happened if the strength of a bear were the lucky niche, or the flight and eyesight of an eagle or the ability to run at great speeds like a cheetah? Where would we have been now. WE a'int so special bro. WE just think we are.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:02 AM

8,607 posts, read 3,823,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Which was....

'Why do WE complex intelligent beings exist then?'

Because we do. Why does there have to be a reason? ...and why do you consider us that special anyway? We excel in only one thing...intelligence. It was extremely fortunate for us that 'intelligence' was the lucky niche needed to survive and thrive. What would have happened if the strength of a bear were the lucky niche, or the flight and eyesight of an eagle or the ability to run at great speeds like a cheetah? Where would we have been now. WE a'int so special bro. WE just think we are.
Not special, complex. But you are addressing your thoughts as to why man ‘survived’ (and evolution is another topic, all based on science and knowledge). The question, in my mind at least, is ‘existence’.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM

50,638 posts, read 24,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
For someone that has, on two occasions now, had a flounce and swore to never again respond to my posts , you have an awful lot to say.

...and BTW 'argumentum ad populem' isn't always correct. Otherwise Christianity would be right wouldn't it.
A few sentences here and there in this thread is hardly having an awfully lot to say.

And yes, I have said a couple of times that I'm not going to respond to your posts, but I still read them, and sometimes can't resist the temptation. I guess that's just horrible of me. But frankly, on the continuum of non-religious belief, you're very aggressive and on the very high end of the scale. You just are. And you don't seem to understand that everyone has a right to varying degrees of agnosticism/atheism, and that doesn't make you absolutely right or absolutely wrong. It's hardly the settled matter you seem to think it is.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,330,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
..everyone has a right to varying degrees of agnosticism/atheism, and that doesn't make you absolutely right or absolutely wrong.
Yup, and I would like to add each person's beliefs are perfect for them at that time...look how many flip from one side
to the other a couple times, even.
Truly, I remember my ''immature 19 yr old brain'' would be offended or frustrated when someone didn't see things the way I did. Geeze, how stupid of me...
but it was part of developing a sense of self as a new adult.

It is an insecure emotion we aren't even aware of that we just 'have to have
people think as we do and like what we like'. To Christians...a useful tool used in 'the devil's bag of tricks' to be wary of; meant to take us far away from the mark...love, and how it manifests: patience, long-suffering, kindness...

In later development of social maturity ...wisdom offers the easy realization of, "To each his own."

Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 PM

63,695 posts, read 39,955,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Evolution.
Because complex intelligent beings simply do not exist for no reason. Or are extremely unlikely to do so.
Or are you arguing your god evolved?
That is unanswerable since evolution does appear to be the method of choice for life and God IS a LIVING God. However, any data or information pre-evolution is unknown or obscure at best.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,132,903 times
Quote:
Evolution.

Because complex intelligent beings simply do not exist for no reason. Or are extremely unlikely to do so.

The bolded is something I've been mulling for a while: Whether a God composed of a universe(s) full of consciousnesses could be in its infancy or early childhood and not yet formed a concept of itself as a singular entity.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,545,108 times
Quote:
Evolution.

do you know of one thing that doesn't evolve?

Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is unanswerable since evolution does appear to be the method of choice for life and God IS a LIVING God. However, any data or information pre-evolution is unknown or obscure at best.
do you know of one thing that doesn't evolve?

fields? an aggregate of vibrating spherical waves?

Old 02-18-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Miriam Webster says otherwise. I even quoted Miriam Webster.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agnostic

They also use English (and the Greek) correctly. I write software that runs on all operating systems that can run a modern web browser. My software does not need to know what operating system it is, therefore it is OS agnostic.

You have no knowledge about my gold plated Porsche (actually you do, which was my original point). Which means you are agnostic about it (until you ask your self is this likely (hint, hint).

In it's entirety - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agnostic
all that chit chat and not a prediction.

if not god, then what is the best notion you have that matches what we see?

we can compare claims to see what ones are more plausible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality