U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

10,344 posts, read 4,370,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Those that rape, torture, and/or kill may not see it as "wrong". They like it...and seek to do it.
Who cares what "they like"? Intentionally causing harm and agony to any living creature is purely evil especially if doing it for your enjoyment and self satisfaction.
Quote:
You don't see the cat working over the mouse before killing and eating it as "wrong", do you?
Now you are comparing a cat exhausting it's prey to human's?

A cat is a predator, a very efficient predator, which is part of the reason why cats 'toy' with their victims. If the prey is larger than the cat or is dangerous, the cat will wear out the catch until it's near exhaustion. Then the cat delivers one, quick fatal bite to sever its prey's spinal cord. So the cat is not being cruel but she is exhausting the quarry in order to safely kill it. So this is normal cat behavior. Cats do not discriminate - this is simply the manner in which they treat all prey.
Quote:
By what objective standard do you determine that it is "wrong" for humans to be like most other creatures...creatures that you do not see as "bad" for doing those things?
Because humans supposedly have evolved with "intelligence".

So when a child, adult, or animal is wincing and crying in pain from being raped you don't see this as wrong? Intellectually anyone in their right mind would know this is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PeKJjQaF0

Last edited by Matadora; Yesterday at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

11,238 posts, read 4,373,930 times
The point is that the same personalities types will be in both religion and non religion. People will be people is the point. The fundy, some call the far right, if it exist, means that the far left is just as brain damaged. that is just a fact.

a point that some people will not face down. the fact that they do not face it down is more proof that people believe what they want and will make up what they have to so that they are more real.

those that do face such simple notions down are not the problem. I don't care if they are religious or not.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

Here you folks time to engage your noggin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzj7Wg4DAbs

This talk hits on why humans get sucked into religion and believe in all the false realities that humans crate for our existence. I have stated many times that the "dream" that has been carved out by ancient humans up through today is not a "dream" that I believe in. It's a "dream" that has taken us so far away from where we came from and so far away from our connection to nature and to this earth.

It's very interesting that he points out that other animal species use their communication system only to describe reality....BUT humans in contrast use their language not only to describe reality but to also create fictional realities such as religion and gods.

He's spot on when he points out that you could never convince a Chimpanzee that when he dies he will go to heaven and have access to all the bananas that he wants if he does good deeds. No Chimpanzee will ever believe such a story...but humans believe such fictional stories.

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

6,674 posts, read 3,924,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Who cares what "they like"? Intentionally causing harm and agony to any living creature is purely evil especially if doing it for your enjoyment and self satisfaction.
Now you are comparing a cat exhausting it's prey to human's?

A cat is a predator, a very efficient predator, which is part of the reason why cats 'toy' with their victims. If the prey is larger than the cat or is dangerous, the cat will wear out the catch until it's near exhaustion. Then the cat delivers one, quick fatal bite to sever its prey's spinal cord. So the cat is not being cruel but she is exhausting the quarry in order to safely kill it. So this is normal cat behavior. Cats do not discriminate - this is simply the manner in which they treat all prey.
Because humans supposedly have evolved with "intelligence".

So when a child, adult, or animal is wincing and crying in pain from being raped you don't see this as wrong? Intellectually anyone in their right mind would know this is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PeKJjQaF0
Being "intelligent" is not an objective standard by which what is right or wrong, good or bad, is determined.
Lottsa people of high intellect have been into raping, torturing and killing others. Many of the Romans, Greeks, Mongolians, etc, etc, etc. All societies throughout history have many that are so disposed. They determine how they are, to be how it should be. And they use the same basis (what they think, in their opinion) you use to see it otherwise.
AGAIN...what OBJECTIVE STANDARD do you have to offer that determines absolutely what is "right" or "good"? Personal opinion and majority consensus is not objective...high intellect notwithstanding.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Being "intelligent" is not an objective standard by which what is right or wrong, good or bad, is determined.
I never stated such. I said intellectually anyone in their right mind would know this is wrong. This meaning purposely and intentionally causing harm to others for your own personal greed or self-satisfaction or vengeance.

And better stated anyone decent would intuitively know it's wrong. Anyone who doesn't is a sick broken human.

Last edited by Matadora; Yesterday at 05:21 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I never stated such. I said intellectually anyone in their right mind would know this is wrong. This meaning purposely and intentionally causing harm to others for your own personal greed or self-satisfaction or vengeance.
You state only what you feel (your opinion) is the "right mind" to have...relative to what is "good" or "evil", or "decent"...and that everyone should also "know" this. Not so...this is subjective, not objective.
Many throughout history rape, kill, even cannibalize, others. They do it with no qualms and complete insouciance. The feelings or negative experience of the others is a nonfactor to them.
They think how they are is the best and most self-advantageous way to be. That it is right and good...to them.
Actually, in some aspects of a "survival of the fittest" paradigm...taking others stuff, and killing them so they do not use up resources, is an "intelligent" and scientifically viable way to roll! And using them sexually to add to your enjoyment and pleasure would also fit that lifestyle protocol. Why even consider anything but ones own best advantage in every way preferred?
What objective basis do you have to prove that is not the most self-advantageous and best way to be?
I believe this was a main reason theological concepts came to be...to avoid or deter such exploitation and/or risk of retaliation for it.

Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

11,238 posts, read 4,373,930 times
Quote:
You state only what you feel (your opinion) is the "right mind" to have...relative to what is "good" or "evil". This is subjective...not subjective.
Many throughout history rape, kill, even cannibalize, others. They do it with no qualms and complete insouciance. The feelings or negative experience of the others is a nonfactor to them.
They think how they are is the best and most self-advantageous way to be. That it is right and good...to them.
Actually, in some aspects of a "survival of the fittest" paradigm...taking others stuff, and killing them so they do not use up resources, is an "intelligent" and scientifically viable way to roll! And using them sexually to add to your enjoyment and pleasure would also fit that lifestyle protocol. Why even consider anything but ones own best advantage in every way preferred?
What objective basis do you have to prove that is not the most self-advantageous and best way to be?
I believe this was a main reason theological concepts came to be...to avoid or deter such exploitation and/or risk of retaliation for it.
many of us have links directly to genghis khan. the "natural law", maybe the most objective morals we have, says that is just fine. I mean I don't like it, but to pretend that emotional responses make us "more right" is not just short sighted its, well, short sighted.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Quote:
You state only what you feel (your opinion) is the "right mind" to have...relative to what is "good" or "evil", or "decent"...and that everyone should also "know" this. Not so...this is subjective, not objective.
Nope I do no such thing. You only want to ascribe your narrow perspective to me which is false.

Being intuitive it not a feeling.
Quote:
Many throughout history rape, kill, even cannibalize, others. They do it with no qualms and complete insouciance.
Today in most civilized nations do you think it's viewed as acceptable? No because humans evolved. Even with this human evolution you still find the sick humans who still behave in this manner and it's not found to be acceptable.
Quote:
The feelings or negative experience of the others is a nonfactor to them.
Who cares about sick minded evil humans? I certainly don't care what is a factor to them or not.
Quote:
I call BS. You are no mind reader and you have no clue what these folks actually think.
Quote:
Actually, in some aspects of a "survival of the fittest" paradigm...taking others stuff, and killing them so they do not use up resources, is an "intelligent" and scientifically viable way to roll!
This is a layman's interpretation of "survival of the fittest". This is not science.
Quote:
And using them sexually to add to your enjoyment and pleasure would also fit that lifestyle protocol.
To add to my enjoyment? You sound confused.
Quote:
Why even consider anything but ones own best advantage in every way preferred?
As long as you are not intentionally harming others then go right ahead and knock yourself out.
Quote:
LOL what a dumb question. Let's ask you the same.

Hey Gldn what objective basis do you have to prove that is not the most self-advantageous and best way to be?
Quote:
Nope, theological concepts came into being as a form of controlling the masses and trying to make sense of the Universe.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

24,171 posts, read 12,507,097 times
I think what the study indicates is the simplistic, black-and-white thinking that characterizes fundamentalism is easier to assimilate - and therefore more appealing - to a person who exhibits certain cerebral issues.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Nope I do no such thing. You only want to ascribe your narrow perspective to me which is false.

Being intuitive it not a feeling.
Today in most civilized nations do you think it's viewed as acceptable? No because humans evolved. Even with this human evolution you still find the sick humans who still behave in this manner and it's not found to be acceptable.
Who cares about sick minded evil humans? I certainly don't care what is a factor to them or not.
I call BS. You are no mind reader and you have no clue what these folks actually think.
This is a layman's interpretation of "survival of the fittest". This is not science.
To add to my enjoyment? You sound confused.
As long as you are not intentionally harming others then go right ahead and knock yourself out.
LOL what a dumb question. Let's ask you the same.

Hey Gldn what objective basis do you have to prove that is not the most self-advantageous and best way to be?
Nope, theological concepts came into being as a form of controlling the masses and trying to make sense of the Universe.
That is my point. I have no objective basis, and neither do you. All you have is your subjective opinion.
There is no objective basis for the "good / bad", "right / wrong", of any behavior. It is all subjective.
But you claim what is acceptable, and "Good VS Bad", is something that is "known"...and anybody that does not see it your way is not in their right mind.
I say that is bogus.
You say that we have "evolved to know what is decent". Then how do you explain all the worlds militaries...that specialize in high-tech ways to blow up people and things?
The U.S. has the biggest...and we hold those people in highest esteem. We have even nuked entire cities. Snuffed hundreds of thousands in a second...and the fallout killed countless more in a slow, painful death. They got commendations for that. That isn't just considered a "decent" thing to do...it's viewed as conduct of ultra bravery and honor.
THAT is how it really is...THAT is what is known to be "good", even great. And anybody in their right mind would know how that is great.
See how "evolved" we are to know what is "good"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality