Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The actual published study title is: Biological and cognitive underpinnings of religious fundamentalism.

I always encourage people to locate the actual published paper and read it vs. reading an online news and opinion website that discusses a published paper. You almost always find the online news article quote mining the actual study and then adds on their own take...as can be seen in the title of the news article. Do you see the differences between the actual study and the online news opinion?

This study is interesting in that I know a young lady that had experienced traumatic brain injuries from a serious car accident years ago. She was not a religious fundamentalist at the time of the accident...she is now one of the most fundamentalist type religious people I know. Her FB timeline used to be filled with photos and funny snippets and even music. Today it's filled with fundamental christian speak.

Thus the study is not "so called", it's an actual study that tried to predicted that pTBI patients with lesions to the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC) would exhibit greater fundamentalism, and that this would be modulated by cognitive flexibility and trait openness.

Instead, what they found was that participants with dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (dlPFC) lesions have fundamentalist beliefs similar to patients with vmPFC lesions and that the effect of a dlPFC lesion on fundamentalism was significantly mediated by decreased cognitive flexibility and openness. These findings indicate that cognitive flexibility and openness are necessary for flexible and adaptive religious commitment, and that such diversity of religious thought is dependent on dlPFC functionality.

You are altogether missing my point. It doesn't matter if brain damaged people are prone to fundamentalism [which the study found in less than 20% of the cases]. If you want to say something definitive about a group of people you need to get that information from that specific group of people, not from other people's brain scans. In the study this is accepted as unquestionable truth and try to build upon it: "Religious belief is the product of multiple and coordinated functional activities across the brain."

You are free to believe that the damaged brain has caused the young lady to become religious. I would say the traumatic shock of the accident [correlating with the damaging of the brain] and being close to death is what caused her change of attitude to become religious.

Last edited by thelogo; 01-11-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
No logo I did not miss your point of trying to slam science based on thinking the title of an online news/opinion was what science stated.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:23 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
You are altogether missing my point. It doesn't matter if brain damaged people are prone to fundamentalism [which the study found in less than 20% of the cases]. If you want to say something definitive about a group of people you need to get that information from that specific group of people, not from other people's brain scans. In the study this is accepted as unquestionable truth and try to build upon it: "Religious belief is the product of multiple and coordinated functional activities across the brain."

You are free to believe that the damaged brain has caused the young lady to become religious. I would say the traumatic shock of the accident [correlating with the damaging of the brain] and being close to death is what caused her change of attitude to become religious.
it is important to point out that most of us understand that fundy's are more in the minority. But like with other things, the fundy tends to take over and lead the rest astray. what are you guys going to do about it?

when are you guys going to stop the died, woke up, and flew away for our sins stuff?

Old 01-11-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it is important to point out that most of us understand that fundy's are more in the minority. But like with other things, the fundy tends to take over and lead the rest astray. what are you guys going to do about it?

when are you guys going to stop the died, woke up, and flew away for our sins stuff?

I am not trying to defend/support fundamentalists, I was just commenting on this study. For a long time I was confused about what was meant by Jesus dying for our sins. I have never heard, even in the most childish interpretation of "died, woke up and flew away for our sins", so maybe you can reword what people that goes to church actually believe and I can comment on that.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
I am not going to trying to defend fundamentalists, I was just commenting on this study. For a long time I was confused about what was meant by Jesus dying for our sins. I have never heard, even in the most childish interpretation of "died, woke up and flew away for our sin", so maybe you can reword what people that goes to church actually believe and I can comment on that.

If you don't know about died, woke up, and flew away for our sins, consider yourself lucky.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 01-11-2019 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
I am not trying to defend/support fundamentalists, I was just commenting on this study. For a long time I was confused about what was meant by Jesus dying for our sins. I have never heard, even in the most childish interpretation of "died, woke up and flew away for our sins", so maybe you can reword what people that goes to church actually believe and I can comment on that.
Arach's precis works pretty well. It covers the salient Christian-believer's points. You just prefer flowerier language - like the bafflegab that comes from pulpits every Sunday.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Arach's precis works pretty well. It covers the salient Christian-believer's points. You just prefer flowerier language - like the bafflegab that comes from pulpits every Sunday.

I don't go to church and if that is what people actually believe then I cannot relate. But I do read the bible and other sources to try to understand what is actually meant in those words. It is a great illusion that people can grab a bible and understand what the authors were referring to and its purpose. There was a reason in ancient times it was a crime punished by death, for somebody who was not allowed, to take hold of the scriptures. The explanation people have today is that people would realize that it is all lies. All I can say is that they don't understand it, and for those who criticize misinterpretations then that's just adding more castles in the air.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
I don't go to church and if that is what people actually believe then I cannot relate. But I do read the bible and other sources to try to understand what is actually meant in those words. It is a great illusion that people can grab a bible and understand what the authors were referring to and its purpose. There was a reason in ancient times it was a crime punished by death, for somebody who was not allowed, to take hold of the scriptures. The explanation people have today is that people would realize that it is all lies. All I can say is that they don't understand it, and for those who criticize misinterpretations then that's just adding more castles in the air.
Biblical bafflegab is at the root of Christianity splintering into 30,000+ differing denominations and sub-sects.

I prefer reality and paying attention to what is around me.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:47 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
There was a reason in ancient times it was a crime punished by death, for somebody who was not allowed, to take hold of the scriptures.
And what reason was that?

Anyone who finds spiritual inspiration from reading an ancient text describing this sort of punishment for not worshiping the insane, murderous beast called "god" in that text, indeed has something wrong with their brain.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Biblical bafflegab is at the root of Christianity splintering into 30,000+ differing denominations and sub-sects.

I prefer reality and paying attention to what is around me.
You can't even spot simple deception and spread misinformation-which is exactly what you are doing in this thread. You shouldn't be talking about reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
And what reason was that?

Anyone who finds spiritual inspiration from reading an ancient text describing this sort of punishment for not worshiping the insane, murderous beast called "god" in that text, indeed has something wrong with their brain.
Egyptians also murdered the workers who made a mistake in relation with the scriptures. It is not something described in the bible to punish people. You people have more believes than religious fundamentalists themselves [I gave you one of the prejudices you assume as true in post #61 which I got out the misleading study] . Also, words have more power that you believe, I feel sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality