U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 1,651,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I long ago concluded that Bigfoot wasn't real. I no longer feel compelled to read stories about it.
That's your choice and freedom. Whoopdy diddily doo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 10,747,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
A lot of Christians don't give a rat's hiney of exactly when Mark was written. Maybe you're @nal about things like that, but most aren't. Another big waste of time trying to attack Christianity. Instead of rationale and plausible data, we just see anger, distortion, and instability (all those font changes like bolding and underling just add to it). That overshadows any points you're trying to make, and you're completely blind to it. I guess you just want to make atheists look like fools.
Most Christians have zero knowledge about how their faith came into existence. They might as well be worshiping Harry Potter because there are 7 "gospels" written about him.

So why don't you give us some "rationale and plausible data" beside-hehe-"Tradition" which proves Mark was written in 70 AD, Thoreau. Until you do my conclusion is the better supported and stands.

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Most Christians have zero knowledge about how their faith came into existence. They might as well be worshiping Harry Potter because there are 7 "gospels" written about him.

So why don't you give us some "rationale and plausible data" beside-hehe-"Tradition" which proves Mark was written in 70 AD, Thoreau. Until you do my conclusion is the better supported and stands.
Well, you have zero realization how foolish you appear. You worship any kind of idea or theory you want to believe. And you engage in the same noisy preaching style as the bible-thumpers.

I don't need to provide any information because I have nothing to prove or sell, unlike you Mr. Salesman. You put the "schtuff" out there, so you need to back it up with something valid. So far you haven't, and you can't stand that being exposed.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Ever notice how when a skeptic posts historical proof Christianity is a sham all we get in response from the Christians is hot air and absolute rubbish remarks like Whoopdy diddily doo but not a single shred of historic proof to support their position????

Quote:

I don't need to provide any information because I have nothing to prove or sell, unlike you Mr. Salesman.
Why don't you just admit you haven't got any information which would support your position, Thoreau. We'd respect you more for that than for making such trash accusations and insults, which it seems is all you're good at.

No wonder they always lose the argument at the end of the thread.

And I detect you're just trying to create mayhem in here to get the thread shut down so I won't be replying anymore to your nonsense until you provide some historical documentation for Mark.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

19,768 posts, read 9,331,679 times
Quote:
Well, you have zero realization how foolish you appear. You worship any kind of idea or theory you want to believe. And you engage in the same noisy preaching style as the bible-thumpers.

I don't need to provide any information because I have nothing to prove or sell, unlike you Mr. Salesman. You put the "schtuff" out there, so you need to back it up with something valid. So far you haven't, and you can't stand that being exposed.
Who was it that said, "Whoopdy diddily doo"?

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Who was it that said, "Whoopdy diddily doo"?
A Thoreau original:

Quote:

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

I'm glad you liked it enough to repeat it and celebrate it. I'm having more fun than you. The more desperately you try to make me look bad, the more fun this becomes. Keep it up!

Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

20,704 posts, read 15,951,577 times
New Testament scholar Daniel B. Wallace on the authorship and dating of the Gospel of Mark;

Excerpt:
2. EXTERNAL EVIDENCE
“So strong was the early Christian testimony that Mark was the author of this gospel that we need do little more than mention this attestation.”2 It is cited by Papias, Irenaeus, the Muratorian Canon (most likely), Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, Origen, and Jerome. Further, this testimony is universal in connecting this gospel with Peter. Papias, for example, writes:3

And the elder said this: “Mark became an interpreter of Peter; as many things as he remembered he wrote down accurately (though certainly not in order4) the things said or done by the Lord. For he neither heard the Lord nor followed him, but he came later—as he said with reference to Peter who taught whenever the need arose,5 but he did not [teach] according to the arrangement of the oracles of the Lord,6 with the result that Mark did not err7 when he thus wrote certain things as he recalled them. For he planned out one goal ahead of time,8 namely, to leave out nothing which he heard and not to falsify any [of the words of Peter].”9

What is most remarkable about this external testimony is that Mark was by no means a major player in the NT. It is doubtful, therefore, that his name was picked out of thin air as it were. If this were the case, there would certainly be less than universal attestation. Further, as strong as the desire was to attach this gospel to an apostle, the patristic writers refrained from saying that this was Peter’s Gospel. Such restraint speaks volumes for the rest of the NT where they do affirm apostolic authorship.10 One simply cannot say that because these patristic writers surely wanted apostolic authorship they therefore invented such at their own convenience. Mark’s gospel flies in the face of that supposition.

B. Date
The issue of the date of this gospel also revolves around external and internal evidence.

1. EXTERNAL EVIDENCE
Not only does the early patristic evidence argue for Markan authorship, but it also makes a connection between Mark and Peter. As we have seen, Papias was the first to make this connection, and it is important to note certain features of his report. (1) He claimed to have received his information from “the elder.” In the preceding context (Fragments of Papias 2:4) the only individual called “the elder” in the singular is John. Whether this is John the apostle or a disciple of his is quite debatable; but suffice it to say that Papias’ source of information was at most one generation removed from the apostles themselves. (2) Papias also says that Mark recorded Peter’s sermons while Peter was still alive.

Read more: https://bible.org/seriespage/mark-in...nt-and-outline

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

19,768 posts, read 9,331,679 times
Quote:
I'm glad you liked it enough to repeat it and celebrate it. I'm having more fun than you. The more desperately you try to make me look bad, the more fun this becomes. Keep it up!
Nobody is making the effort to make you look bad. That's of your own doing.

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

11,238 posts, read 4,373,930 times
Quote:
I don't start threads here. You guys are the ones drumming up the stories. I only reply to false and slanderous statements that others make.

Others tip the scales; I balance them. Stop tipping them and I'll have nothing to say or add.
Ok thor, I get ya. I am truly a middle of the roader. i don't care what religion is right or wrong. Budha or christianity, its all the same thing. I only do how the universe works. 'xecpt for some logistical issues with being human that is.

many people are fine with non literal, living like jesus type stuff. and quite frankly, I don't care about living like jesus.

i don't care when mark wrote it or if there was even a guy named mark. Its pointless to argue that at this point. and, to be honest, detracts from the important stuff.

The main problem i have is the claim "deid, woke up, and flew away for our sins". that is just not good stuff. And like another thread points out, when personality disorders get to latching onto that kind of stuff, you theist need to really control them.

when they (personality disorders) latch onto mark was real and a dude dies woke up and flew away for our sins, the rest of us don't feel safe.

what are you theist going to do about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or