Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 02:03 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

And many cultures have evolved to see that as not a good option - ideally. And religion has reluctantly caught up with it.

I don't quarrel with what you say - but it is irrelevant. Human morality is still the best we have and isn't perfect. We seem to agree on that. Finding fault or inconsistencies in it is an interesting exercise, but what is it proving? What do you have as a better alternative? Do you indeed claim to have a better alternative? If not - what is it that you are trying to argue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 02:40 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It was many years ago...and I don't remember the full details. Not that it matters.
I was in the Army and a fellow soldier was worried about his Brother back home getting simlarly jammed up because he was, "seeing a girl that was *jailbait*"...and he told of this situation where a young fella got in big trouble.
I recall he said her previous partners were all fellow classmates that were her age, so there was no legal foul. I guess she was well known to be very promiscuous.
The virgin nerd kid turned 19 while she was still 16. I think she did get pregnant...which he explained was her desire.
But the law took over...and busted the boy for statutory rape due to their age difference. Evidently no consideration was given to her vast sexual experience, and his total naivete...and that she persued him. Just the subjective moral judgement that their age difference made him an evil rapist, and her a victim.
Again...it shows how subjective morality is.
I have always argued that our AoC laws are completely wrong-headed.

What should matter is the age spread, not hard-coded age limits.

For instance, there is only a 2 year (probably less than that) age spread between the 16 year-old hottie and the 18 year-old virgin nerd. I think we all know that nothing magical happens when you turn 18. You don't suddenly become more mature, more worldly, more wise, or more responsible - meaning there's nary a difference between a 16 year-old and an 18 year-old. This is especially true given that girls tend to mature faster than boys - which is why girls typically date older boys.

So what is an 18 year-old boy to do? The girls his age and older want little to do with him because girls don't typically date a person their own age or younger. And dating younger is an automatic jail sentence if caught.

What about a high school couple that has been together since the were both 13 ... but the boy is 8 months older than she is. Does he have to break up with her at age 18 and wait patiently for 8 months until she catches up?

What should *matter* is how old the couple is in relation to each other rather than having an inflexible and rigid age where a girl that was once perfectly fine to date suddenly becomes a felony waiting to happen. A 13 and 18 year-old ... yeah, that might be a bit much. But 16 and 18? Who cares? After all, in just a few years time, a two-year age difference will be nothing at all given that some couples who marry in their late 20s can be 7 or 8 years apart in age. Later in life, I've heard of couples 10 to 15 years apart in age getting married.

The law seems to ignore completely the well-studied and well-known fact that girls do tend to mature faster than boys; it takes a few years for boys to "catch up" in terms of maturity. Which, as I said, becomes disasterous to boys in their late teens. In other to get two people together who have roughly equal maturity, boys have to date younger girls.

It's really that simple.

Plus, you have unusually mature girls who could easily give consent at age 14 - and you have unusually immature girls who shouldn't be giving consent at 20. This is also true for boys. Not everyone matures at the same rate. Some of the most mature boys I've dated were closer to me in age - rather than the older boys who were even less mature since they were in that stage of life where they wanted to do little else but party, drink, and have sex with anything that had a pulse beat.

I have heard far too many horror stories where a perfectly good, well-adjusted, middle-class kid was tossed into prison for 10+ years, had to register as a sexual predator, and had his life literally destroyed simply for having sex with his long-time 16 year-old girlfriend. If he had had sex with her just 3 months before, when he was 17, there woudn't have been any crime at all. How can the law justify this ridiculous magical transition between 17 and 18 when suddenly the 16 year-old cannot give consent when she gave her consent plenty of times before the boyfriend's 18th birthday.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever - just one of many things that are wrong with this hyper-traditional, often conservative-minded, overly religious country that we live in.

I know from back in the days when I was forced to attend church by my family (which didn't last long, mind you), there was always tongue-wagging and gossip-mongering after the sermon. I was 16 years-old at the time and had plenty of suitors - many 18 years-old or older. The adults would gasp and speak in hushed whispers when there was an older boy dating a younger girl - always followed by a long list of calamities that would befall the girl if she didn't break-up with her older paramor right that instant.

Meanwhile, I'd stand there thinking that there were several older guys I wouldn't mind dating and didn't care one iota what these ancient crones thought of my dating habits. It was a town with less than a thousand people. It's not like we had loads of options when it came to dating. The only advantage I had is that I wasn't related to anyone.

But the point is that I've noticed that religious people tend to be more sensitive to age differences than secular people - and secular people often decide these issues on a case-by-case basis, not merely on age. i doubt anyone wants to see an 18 year-old having sex with a 12 or 13 year-old, sure, but a couple of years? Who cares.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:28 PM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
It was many years ago...and I don't remember the full details. Not that it matters.
I was in the Army and a fellow soldier was worried about his Brother back home getting simlarly jammed up because he was, "seeing a girl that was *jailbait*"...and he told of this situation where a young fella got in big trouble.
I recall he said her previous partners were all fellow classmates that were her age, so there was no legal foul. I guess she was well known to be very promiscuous.
The virgin nerd kid turned 19 while she was still 16. I think she did get pregnant...which he explained was her desire.
But the law took over...and busted the boy for statutory rape due to their age difference. Evidently no consideration was given to her vast sexual experience, and his total naivete...and that she persued him. Just the subjective moral judgement that their age difference made him an evil rapist, and her a victim.
Again...it shows how subjective morality is.
I, in no way, disagree that the arbitrary setting of ages is very often unfair and ridiculous but also object to "I heard that" stories should be taken as examples or even mentioned unless all the facts are known.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:57 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I, in no way, disagree that the arbitrary setting of ages is very often unfair and ridiculous but also object to "I heard that" stories should be taken as examples or even mentioned unless all the facts are known.
Well, then...that would limit discussion to just things we experienced solely ourselves...and even then it could be iffy...because one can always be mistaken as to what they saw or heard. Ya couldn't have anyone else involved, cuz you never know everything another is thinking...so you wouldn't have "all the facts".
And certainly nothing could ever be related 3rd party at all...not even an investigation or court case...as you can never know "all the facts" about anything.
There have been many, many statutory rape cases, each with their own set of circumstances....I had no reason to think my military comrades' story was not generally accurate.
I do not object to anything like that being related...I'll listen.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Well, then...that would limit discussion to just things we experienced solely ourselves...and even then it could be iffy...because one can always be mistaken as to what they saw or heard. Ya couldn't have anyone else involved, cuz you never know everything another is thinking...so you wouldn't have "all the facts".
And certainly nothing could ever be related 3rd party at all...not even an investigation or court case...as you can never know "all the facts" about anything.
There have been many, many statutory rape cases, each with their own set of circumstances....I had no reason to think my military comrades' story was not generally accurate.
lmao, all that to address what you said at the start.

morals are subjective.

they couldn't have just said 'yup."

Old 03-13-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering whether such a discussion has any point in this forum, let alone the topic. What has this to do with Morality in the context of religious claims?

Old 03-14-2019, 01:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Later in life, I've heard of couples 10 to 15 years apart in age getting married.
Age is a state of mind. My girlfriend is 25 years younger than me. We get funny looks sometimes - but who cares other than those giving the funny looks!

Old 03-14-2019, 07:44 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Age is a state of mind. My girlfriend is 25 years younger than me. We get funny looks sometimes - but who cares other than those giving the funny looks!
Age is also a state of physical being, otherwise professional sportsmen who compete would never retire.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Age is also a state of physical being, otherwise professional sportsmen who compete would never retire.
That's for sure. I still feel 17 on the inside. But I sure ain't on the outside.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:39 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm wondering whether such a discussion has any point in this forum, let alone the topic. What has this to do with Morality in the context of religious claims?
Of course it does.
If one is to "object to *I heard that* stories should be taken as examples or even mentioned unless all the facts are known"...then you could never discuss a thing, on this or any other forum...cuz you can never have "all the facts" about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality