U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 03:19 PM

4,359 posts, read 1,704,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, haven't YOU wetted our curiosity! Please go on.
I could say a lot myself on the subject! The floor is yours...
Now is the time for me to stop. LOL No, I was just implying that instead of considering all of our problems rooted in religion, one look at faults in other areas or branches of the "tree" of life and existence. That could be rather endless though, so I won't indulge. The point was to release the death-grip solely on religion, as seemed to be the OP's tendency.

Thanks though, if my point sounded a bit deeper or more significant than that

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-25-2019 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 03:30 PM

19,981 posts, read 9,433,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Now is the time for me to stop. LOL No, I was just implying that instead of considering all of our problems rooted in religion, one look at faults in other areas or branches of the "tree" of life and existence. That could be rather endless though, so I won't indulge. The point was to release to death-grip solely on religion, as seemed to be the OP's tendency.

Thanks though, if my point sounded a bit deeper or more significant than that
For once, you and I tend to agree on this OP.

I couldn't help but think of the line, "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves". I do think that religion and religionists can be terribly oppressive, and while that may have less power than it did, it can still play mind tricks on many people. But what I found pathetic about the original post was blaming everything on religion. However, that being said, it is religionists who tend to praise god for all that is good, but never seem to criticism him for anything that's bad.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:46 PM

13,549 posts, read 11,229,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Instead of singling out religion, look at the much larger roots of the problem. Instead of focusing narrow and seeing little, focus large/wide and see much.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The point was to release the death-grip solely on religion,
Well, we could give a list of the roots of the problem that religion even exists!
(Greed, love of control, power, riches, simple misinterpretation, zealots that come from profound spiritual immaturity....and so on.)

But, the root of the problem regarding followers or sheep is more of what you
may have been referring to...not to blame religion alone.
What is it in the human psyche? What is pathologically inside us that trusts, likes to follow,
likes a leader to look up to, needs something other than what is right in front of us...see how fascinating
a subject it is?

Old 01-25-2019, 07:56 PM

10,462 posts, read 10,791,708 times
Quote:
That was a typoo ...he ruled 306-337 Christian Era.

And don't get me started on the blood sacrifices thing! Grrr.
Good catch, Miss Hepburn.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:41 AM

11,415 posts, read 4,432,425 times
I don't have a grip with religion. I do have a gripe with some religious people.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:01 AM

180 posts, read 74,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I did not specifically mention Christians- I barely know anything about it, or what or why it came to be. My gripe is with the fact that all religions tell you to be "so and so", but as one grows older they realize(if they do) that to achieve success or power in this lifetime(which is all we know as certified by science) one must be amoral. Should I commit all so called "sins" to get ahead in life? Because all the great men mostly did. T
You’re confusing ‘society’ with religion. Religion doesn’t teach one must be sinful in order to be successful (actually quite the opposite). Society, on the other hand, often does.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 AM

15,805 posts, read 7,256,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You’re confusing ‘society’ with religion. Religion doesn’t teach one must be sinful in order to be successful (actually quite the opposite). Society, on the other hand, often does.
Your assessment of OP's meaning seems off to me but you do bring up a valid point having to do with values: OP seems to buy into values that may or may not really BE "valuable."

"Desiderata" would be worth considering here.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:09 PM

996 posts, read 411,964 times
Quote:
My gripes have to do with religion, not people and politicians.

1. They keep presenting that there is separation between you and the Supreme Being
2. There teachings stifle or stunt or slow the advancement of the soul, us.
3. Many teach to be fearful of this Infinite Being
4. Many have perverted the original experience of the original 'founder' of the religion
5. The original Masters..Buddha, Jesus, Bahá'u'lláh and others...did not intend to create a religion, per se.
6. Rituals, ceremonies, liturgies, attending services have replaced being alone and still in silence to exp this
Divine One directly.
7. Lies have been told regarding benefits for giving money to the Church.
8. Some teach that there is a 'go-between' for each one of us to exp our Father
9. Some teach that there is a hell if you do not follow or even believe 'whatever'
10. Whole congregations are encouraged to ostracize members
11. Some teach to kill those that do not believe as they do, again the "them and us" false teaching.
12. Some do not teach or encourage there people to speak in tongues or to practice healings, then kick
out those that do believe in those

I could go on ...these are just off the top...

1. To achieve separation between oneself and God, simply sin. (Isaiah 59:2
2. The religions, the, daughters of Babylon, do what they are meant to do, provide worship for the "dragon"/devil/Satan/serpent, and the "beast" (Revelation 13:4) & (Revelation 17:5)
3. The "fear of God" is the beginning of Wisdom. (Proverbs 9:10) & (Malachi 3:16- 4:3).

It appears that you may have followed the lemmings over "the top".

Old 01-28-2019, 12:16 PM

996 posts, read 411,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't have a grip with religion. I do have a gripe with some religious people.

Apparently God does to. Ever try reading Ezekiel 34. The "fat" and "strong" shepherds/leaders, "I will kill", "I will feed them with judgment" (Ezekiel 34:16). Apparently the "shepherds" eat the "fat" and "clothe yourself with the wool", but do not feed the "flock" (Ezekiel 34:1-3). The "awesome day of the LORD" is "near, right at the door" (Matthew 24:33). The time of judging between the sheep, and the goats, and the rams is at hand. (Ezekiel 34:17).

Old 01-28-2019, 12:18 PM

4,359 posts, read 1,704,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't have a grip[e] with religion. I do have a gripe with some religious people.
^ This is an important distinction. Religion in and of itself is static and inactive. Kind of like a hammer sitting on a shelf. It only becomes significant when it is used, with positive or negative results depending on the person using it and involved with it.

It only makes sense to have a gripe with people, rather than religion per se. But we are often lazy with our aim and assumption of the root of problems, thrown around sloppily, which just creates more confusion and more problems.

Many things in the wrong hands can be used for harm: a drunk driving a car, a child with a sharp knife, a blind person operating a huge crane, a doctor using a sledgehammer, etc. The objects themselves are not the issue, and we wouldn't do away with them. But when unwisely paired with a faulty match of person, the problems begin. So don't blame the inanimate objects and belief systems; blame people. And blame the ones actually doing harm, not those who simply think differently from you.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-28-2019 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or