Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Listen. I've got a plot of land here going really cheap!
Nope. I'm not a fool, and can sense a con artist a mile away.

Edited to add: Oh my gosh, Rafius, I just had an epiphany.

I'm thinking, why is it that some people are so skeptical? That they reject and scoff at others very quickly, when what they are saying isn't really all that off-base. They're very quick to reject and deride, and say "you actually believe that"?

My dad was like that. You actually believe that was something he said often, to pretty much everyone. Because he, himself didn't have a well developed "hinky meter" - that is, a BS detector. He didn't have what a lot of people have, intuitively, the ability to listen to a story and tell whether his leg was being pulled. So he had to pretty much reject everything that had the least bit unusual twist to it. Otherwise, he'd be falling for scams every day.

Some people have a very well developed "hinky meter", so to speak, and can afford to entertain ideas and stories that may seem on the surface a little far-fetched.

You'll find it here on CD. There's this phenomenon with brand new posters starting a thread. You can see it's their first post at the top of their page. MANY come on here with concocted stories meant to stir up a long discordant thread, and they never return to the thread. "One and dones" they're called. But there are many first-time posters who have a true story to tell, and truly are seeking advise.

And MOST posters can tell the difference, at a glance. But surprisingly many can't. Many will respond and respond, as if the post is sincere, because they can't tell it isn't. In other cases a sincere poster will begin a first post, and a few skeptics will say uh huh, welcome first time posters, meaning BS. But the poster is sincere, and comes back and back and becomes a regular poster. But the detractors couldn't tell it was a sincere post.

God this has gotten long.

What I'm saying is, and I think others will bear me out, if you have a good sense of when you're being BSd, you have the luxury to listen and entertain someone's story and you don't have to reject it outright because you can't typically discern if you're being lied to.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-01-2019 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 01:51 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
If dozens of people told you that they had fairies at the bottom of their garden, would you believe that too? If thousands of Hindus told you that they had seen Ganesh, would you believe that too?

Well they would be the same, because they all have the images of 'hell' in their heads.

I just hope these puppets are not there in Hell as well, their laughter is demonic!

Old 03-01-2019, 04:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Luke 23:39-43 King James Version (KJV)
39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
= = = = = =
If he's not lying, there is an afterlife, called paradise.
And if you're not going there, it must be the opposite of paradise.

Not sure what that would be for a non corporeal sentient being of pure thought, in a non linear, non sequential, parallel time paradigm.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-02-2019 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Red is reserved for moderator actions

Old 03-02-2019, 05:37 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Default Hell is extinct

BY A CHEMISTRY STUDENT The following is an actual question given on a University of Arizona chemistry mid term, and an actual answer turned in by a student. The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well

: Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving, which is unlikely.. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct....... .....leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+

Old 03-02-2019, 06:45 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm a little intrigued by the few people who have reported to have gone to "Hell" in a near death/clinical death experience.

Their stories seem so very similar, including the overwhelming stench, although they may not have known before the experience that others had included that in their experience of "Hell".

Heat, stink and rage from a devil or beast seem to be the pattern.

Gives me pause.

As similar as most of the "Heaven" after clinical death experiences are, there is a similarity between the experiences of an apparent "Hell".
People with different spiritual view points have different experiences, included being taken by flying saucers. All the NDE evidence demonstrates the experience is a product of the human brain trying to make sense of something it does not usually experience.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
as the brain shuts down it uses the memories it has and its perceptive while shutting and losing the ability to process the info. Like dreaming.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Luke 23:39-43 King James Version (KJV)
39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
= = = = = =
If he's not lying, there is an afterlife, called paradise.
And if you're not going there, it must be the opposite of paradise.

Not sure what that would be for a non corporeal sentient being of pure thought, in a non linear, non sequential, parallel time paradigm.
Just because a paradise afterlife exists, that does not necessarily mean an opposite kind of place exists as well.

Im not claiming to know what the afterlife is like, but I would bet it is NOTHING even remotely like we think it will be like, more than likely, to a living person, the afterlife is indescribable, in other words, living people cannot comprehend what its like.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
BY A CHEMISTRY STUDENT The following is an actual question given on a University of Arizona chemistry mid term, and an actual answer turned in by a student. The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well

: Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving, which is unlikely.. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct....... .....leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+
If you listen to Evangelicals then the vast bulk of humanity is already there, and Hell is growing at much faster rate than Heaven.
The "narrow gate" is one of the most overused quote from Scripture to support this, along with the corollary that there is a "wide path that leads to destruction".
This quote, along with "I never knew you" and then "depart from me", are perhaps the most awful quotes in the Bible.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
People with different spiritual view points have different experiences, included being taken by flying saucers. All the NDE evidence demonstrates the experience is a product of the human brain trying to make sense of something it does not usually experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
as the brain shuts down it uses the memories it has and its perceptive while shutting and losing the ability to process the info. Like dreaming.
This does not explain why so many NDE's and Visions of Hell, are so remarkably similar.
FWIW Fundies normally reject these, as they are often "Non-Biblical" in nature.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:51 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
This does not explain why so many NDE's and Visions of Hell, are so remarkably similar.
The very same reason that leprechauns are always depicted as 'little men dressed in green'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality