Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 03:31 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I do think you are right. There are reasons to fear an eternal life.
Quite so! I mean...Leonard Cohen might be there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 03:56 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I do think you are right. There are reasons to fear an eternal life.
if hell was real there would be.

But fearing hell is like a child fearing the monster under the bed. I fear the parent that uses the monster under the bed to control their child far more than I fear that monster.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:05 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
She's been mulling for a while. Broadening her horizons - hanging with atheists and pagans and liberal Christians.
This may be a little gushy, but more people like her need confidence.

I said that she, and others, make me feel small, like years ago. My position is covering her flanks, tip of her spreer, or plowing the road of BS, so she can lead.

Peloo, walk with confidence and talk from a position of understanding. You are what it takes. Warriors follow your kind, soldiers follow any kind.

"tip of a speer", implies leaning on the wall in a closet most of the time, hopefully like 99% of the time.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:07 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
She's been mulling for a while. Broadening her horizons - hanging with atheists and pagans and liberal Christians.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
This may be a little gushy, but more people like her need confidence.

I said that she, and others, make me feel small, like years ago. My position is covering her flanks, tip of her spreer, or plowing the road of BS, so she can lead.

Peloo, walk with confidence and talk from a position of understanding. You are what it takes. Warriors follow your kind, soldiers follow any kind.

"tip of a speer", implies leaning on the wall in a closet most of the time, hopefully like 99% of the time.
You've always encouraged me, Arach, and I appreciate that. Even more, I appreciate that you strive to make the point that there is a middle road, a place where theists and atheists can meet and move forward in a positive way, if they want to. Some will join you there, others won't. And, in real life, I think there's a lot more on that middle road with you than not, much more than this forum might indicate.

Anyway, personally I only enjoy participating in this forum in small doses for various reasons, though I read more than I post.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:46 PM

950 posts, read 692,035 times
A note of clarification. When I introduced this thread, I meant it for not only Christianity but for all the other religions as well. That's why I posted it here in General-religion.

So let me include Buddhism here. Even Buddhism has many different denominations, and some of them believe in Hell. They are very specific as the Buddhist Hell is divided into many different realms according to the offenses committed.

If you ask me, a Buddhist hell makes much more sense than a Christian hell because a Christian hell is eternal whereas a Buddhist hell is temporary. That is, a Buddhist hell takes into account that transgressors can eventually redeem themselves. Whatever the evil, the transgressor has the capacity for remorse and redemption. If God has even an ounce of compassion, he would allow for this eventual redemption. In comparison, there is nothing to be gained from torture eternally.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:05 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yup.

You've always encouraged me, Arach, and I appreciate that. Even more, I appreciate that you strive to make the point that there is a middle road, a place where theists and atheists can meet and move forward in a positive way, if they want to. Some will join you there, others won't. And, in real life, I think there's a lot more on that middle road with you than not, much more than this forum might indicate.

Anyway, personally I only enjoy participating in this forum in small doses for various reasons, though I read more than I post.
There is a place where theists and atheists can meet, but it isn't where Arach is, nor any who detest atheists. If they can set aside that detestation, there can be a meeting place. I know, because some theists have met me there.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:50 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am sure that the creator of a hell and paradise has the power to use them, but not necessarily the right.
So who has the right over the use of heaven and hell,’provided that they both exist and they have a creator?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There is a place where theists and atheists can meet, but it isn't where Arach is, nor any who detest atheists. If they can set aside that detestation, there can be a meeting place. I know, because some theists have met me there.
How, from your perspective, do people make their “detestation” of atheists (not a detestation of the “my way or the highway” mindset of only some atheists, sometimes — which looks a lot like that of some theists, sometimes ) apparent?

Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Apparently Jesus Christ Himself mentions Hell more often than he mentions Heaven in the bible.
This is disturbing in itself.
Whilst the whole idea of Hell is abhorrent, it is a mainstay of Christian doctrines.
Evangelicals love talking about the Lake of Fire, and threaten other Christians (like Catholics) with it as well, let's hope they are wrong.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:55 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Apparently Jesus Christ Himself mentions Hell more often than he mentions Heaven in the bible.
Just curious...where do you get that from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality