Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 07:45 PM

7,583 posts, read 6,049,908 times

Advertisements

I had one Mormon coworker claim thatbthe LDS has the biggest "welfare system " in America.
His point was thatbthey will feed anyone, house anyone even help them find a job IF they will come to church.

My late Aunt (aka "Aunt Mormon" as she was lovingly called) did join the LDS when she was down and out when NoOne....not even her family...would help her.
She ended up with meals, got a job with the help of the Mormons, and my cousin, her daughter, even got to attend and graduate from BYU.

Would like to hear what other Mormons would say about this. I am not religious, but I am sympathetic to the Mormons cause as I grew up in a Baptist church and witnessed the hatred that Baptists had for Mormons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 07:49 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,486,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I had one Mormon coworker claim thatbthe LDS has the biggest "welfare system " in America.
His point was thatbthey will feed anyone, house anyone even help them find a job IF they will come to church.

My late Aunt (aka "Aunt Mormon" as she was lovingly called) did join the LDS when she was down and out when NoOne....not even her family...would help her.
She ended up with meals, got a job with the help of the Mormons, and my cousin, her daughter, even got to attend and graduate from BYU.

Would like to hear what other Mormons would say about this. I am not religious, but I am sympathetic to the Mormons cause as I grew up in a Baptist church and witnessed the hatred that Baptists had for Mormons.
Really? I grew up in a Baptist church and never heard such a thing. Not denying your experience, I just ... the word 'hate' doesn't even belong in a church to my way of thinking. Never heard it myself in any kind of church against anyone.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 PM

27,989 posts, read 29,817,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This is not a nice place like living among the stars at all.
Those who will ultimately end up in the Telestial Kingdom are the unrepentant wicked of the world, who did not accept Jesus Christ either during mortality or during the time they awaited the Second Coming of Christ in the Spirit World. When Christ returns, all those who are judged worthy of either the Celestial or Terrestrial Kingdoms will be resurrected and welcomed to whichever of those two degrees of glory they are worthy of. Those who will ultimately end up in the Telestial Kingdom will be made to pay the price for their own sins -- having rejected Jesus Christ's Atonement. They will be in a state of mental anguish for the duration of the millennium (i.e. hell), after which time they will stand before God to be judged and allowed to enter into the Telestial Kingdom. This, trust me, will be a much more wonderful place than most people think these souls deserve. Fortunately for them, God is more loving and forgiving than we are.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-09-2019 at 08:04 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

I'm sorry that I don't have time to write a personal response, but here is an excellent link. At the bottom of that page is a link to a really informative 7-minute video.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:10 PM

50,440 posts, read 24,032,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it also doesn't mean other peoples children are responsible for those children.
Did I say they were? I don't think so. Quit arguing for the sake of arguing.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 PM

7,583 posts, read 6,049,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sorry that I don't have time to write a personal response, but here is an excellent link. At the bottom of that page is a link to a really informative 7-minute video.
Thanks. I liked that segment. I have always been of the belief that it is far betterbto help someone learn to help themselves. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing love to fellow humans through charity.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Those who will ultimately end up in the Telestial Kingdom are the unrepentant wicked of the world, who did not accept Jesus Christ either during mortality or during the time they awaited the Second Coming of Christ in the Spirit World. When Christ returns, all those who are judged worthy of either the Celestial or Terrestrial Kingdoms will be resurrected and welcomed to whichever of those two degrees of glory they are worthy of. Those who will ultimately end up in the Telestial Kingdom will be made to pay the price for their own sins -- having rejected Jesus Christ's Atonement. They will be in a state of mental anguish for the duration of the millennium (i.e. hell), after which time they will stand before God to be judged and allowed to enter into the Telestial Kingdom. This, trust me, will be a much more wonderful place than most people think these souls deserve. Fortunately for them, God is more loving and forgiving than we are.
According to the LDS method of accepting Christ, meaning all non-Mormon Christians who did accept Christ but not the LDS version of the gospel:

Quote:
Those who profess to follow Christ or the prophets but willfully reject the gospel, the testimony of Jesus, the prophets, and the everlasting covenant will inherit the telestial kingdom
(see D&C 76:99–101).

Unless they accept it after death and then ...

Quote:
Those who reject the prophets in this life and then accept the gospel in the spirit world will inherit the terrestrial kingdom
(see D&C 76:73–74; 138:32

I understand the wording is problematic to you because to Mormons the 'LDS version' is the only true version, but for non-Mormons to understand that wording is important.

Non-Mormons are going to Hell if they do not accept LDS gospel after death.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Non-Mormons are going to Hell if they do not accept LDS gospel after death.
No they are not, and I've had it with this nonsense. I'm done.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Actually, you're wrong again. Temple marriage is required for Exaltation in the Celestial Kingdom. It is not required for entrance into the Celestial Kingdom and the blessings of living there eternally.
Requirement number three for eternal life in the Celestial Kingdom:
Quote:
We must comply with the new and everlasting covenant of marriage
(see D&C 131:1–3).

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines...ition?lang=eng

Old 02-09-2019, 09:04 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,573,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Which goes back to my stating earlier that -- since you're not a Mormon -- you seem rather obsessed about the topic. Thus some pretty virulent posts in the past.
I'd be careful going down that road.

I'm not a christian, but as an atheist, I can guarantee you I know the bible better than the vast majority of them. I also studied comparative religions at university. Don't dismiss someone else's understanding just because they are not a member of a sect, whether that be christian, mormon, hindu or pagan of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality