Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 04:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so where are the memories of charity? or do you expect that when you are in need of help? that other people go out of your way to help out of the kindness of their hearts?

charity has nothing to do with religion, it is something people do because they want to, not because some church said they should.
or because some secular group thinks their morals are ok to force on people.

Moderator cut: Remarks removed. Inappropriate for the R&S forums.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-09-2019 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Political/economic remark removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 04:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
so where are the memories of charity? or do you expect that when you are in need of help? that other people go out of your way to help out of the kindness of their hearts?

charity has nothing to do with religion, it is something people do because they want to, not because some church said they should.
It can be either. Some people feel an obligation/desire to follow 'the Golden Rule' and Jesus taught charity.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:

I have many memories of charity while I was growing up - not sure where you are going with this.

I was taught to extend charity - that it was a key tenant of theological virtue.

I am not going to recount all of the charitable acts I have done. I said before, there are many.

The thread is about Christians who DO NOT participate in theological virtues by extending charity to others in need.

They (Christians) are supposed to be aware of their communities and to extend warmth and hospitality to those in need.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:21 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think it's the innate character of a person that comes to the fore - or not - when it comes to helping others. The religious beliefs, or lack, don't much matter. A good person helps others. A selfish one does not.
I think that about sums it up. There are many of us who are Not Christian, but we are Humanists, and humanitarians, and I hope no one describes me as a selfish person. If so, then I have failed on many levels.
Charitable activity is not unique to any single religion.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I was raised Catholic, and despite any arguments to the contrary, Catholicism is Christian.

I was taught the three theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Charity - were integral to leading a good, moral, Christian life.

There were times in my life where I could have used Christian charity (from supposedly "deeply religious Christians") - and in each case, there was no extension of friendship.

Two of the people were close high school friends, who could have had me over for dinner when I was in a time of need, but didn't. The third was a family who was sharing a trauma with my family - I was all alone and they couldn't be bothered to reach out.

The simple act of being charitable (in these cases, merely hospitable - just extending friendship to someone in need), was never even on their radar. It was deeply disappointing to me and made me realize what shallow, fake Christians they all were (and probably still are).

If you consider yourself a Christian, do you go out of your way to "do good works," or is it "every man for himself?"

I am not a Christian, yet I try to help others in need, as frequently as I can, and definitely when I see a need.
They had the trauma too?

Old 02-09-2019, 09:37 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I have many memories of charity while I was growing up - not sure where you are going with this.

I was taught to extend charity - that it was a key tenant of theological virtue.

I am not going to recount all of the charitable acts I have done. I said before, there are many.

The thread is about Christians who DO NOT participate in theological virtues by extending charity to others in need.

They (Christians) are supposed to be aware of their communities and to extend warmth and hospitality to those in need
You know, I can remember that my childhood church on holidays collected canned goods for "the poor" in a nearby depressed city, and they played a part in sending Reformed Church missionaries with food and medicine to other parts of the globe (with the primary intention of conversion).

But when my sister's husband lost his job and they had a baby, no one representing the church helped them. On her own, a woman from the church who was struggling financially herself came over with a bag of groceries, but the church had no fund to help its own community members in need. They just figured family and friends would help out.

So, I agree with your last sentence. They need to be aware of and to take care of their own community as well as those outside the parish/congregation.

You don't have to belong to a church to be part of a community that helps one another, of course, but I think it's something every church should do--take care of the people around them.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,378 times
Quote:
I was raised Catholic, and despite any arguments to the contrary, Catholicism is Christian.

I was taught the three theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Charity - were integral to leading a good, moral, Christian life.

There were times in my life where I could have used Christian charity (from supposedly "deeply religious Christians") - and in each case, there was no extension of friendship.

Two of the people were close high school friends, who could have had me over for dinner when I was in a time of need, but didn't. The third was a family who was sharing a trauma with my family - I was all alone and they couldn't be bothered to reach out.

The simple act of being charitable (in these cases, merely hospitable - just extending friendship to someone in need), was never even on their radar. It was deeply disappointing to me and made me realize what shallow, fake Christians they all were (and probably still are).

If you consider yourself a Christian, do you go out of your way to "do good works," or is it "every man for himself?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think it's the innate character of a person that comes to the fore - or not - when it comes to helping others. The religious beliefs, or lack, don't much matter. A good person helps others. A selfish one does not.
I agree to an extent. If you're selfish or helpful its not necessarily dependent on religious beliefs or not.

To the OPs post...in the context of a Christian faith its a basic tenant that you watch out for the welfare of fellow believers. 1-John 3:17. If that's not happening its more a reflection of the organization than Christianity and no, I'm not knocking the Catholic Church. There are faiths that have high expectations for their congregants to adhere to doctrines, beliefs and behaviors that reflect Christian teachings this would include actions to show "brotherly love." Christian teachings can transform an individual into a better person; less selfish, more compassionate among other qualities. Not perfect but just a better individual.

A person's faith would be of no use if they, for example, ask one of their "brothers" or "sisters" in the faith how they're doing and the reply is "I'm struggling and dont always have enough to eat" and the response is "well I'll pray for ya." Instead, show up with a bag of groceries and stay for some coffee. Slip them a Safeway/grocery gift card. It's not complicated.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-10-2019 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Fixed missing quote tag

Old 02-09-2019, 11:36 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, I can remember that my childhood church on holidays collected canned goods for "the poor" in a nearby depressed city, and they played a part in sending Reformed Church missionaries with food and medicine to other parts of the globe (with the primary intention of conversion).

But when my sister's husband lost his job and they had a baby, no one representing the church helped them. On her own, a woman from the church who was struggling financially herself came over with a bag of groceries, but the church had no fund to help its own community members in need. They just figured family and friends would help out.

So, I agree with your last sentence. They need to be aware of and to take care of their own community as well as those outside the parish/congregation.

You don't have to belong to a church to be part of a community that helps one another, of course, but I think it's something every church should do--take care of the people around them.
I am reminded of something that happened at my middle school (where I was principal). The PTA decided one holiday season that they wanted to do a drive for the homeless. Mostly stuff like blankets, socks, and similar items. They did a great job, and then came to me to tell me I could take the stuff to the shelter. I refused, saying that I'd be happy to go with them and help, but that they needed to be a part of the full process. "But we'd have to be near those people?" I was disgusted, but adamant, and finally a small group of white parents and their kids finally agreed to go with me to deliver the supplies. It was an eye-opener to some of the parents and their kids.

And it goes to your comment about being aware of people in their community...instead of just throwing money at something anonymously.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
I have found that many people seek religion because they lack structure, especially a social structure in their lives. They attempt to build their structure by using the rules of religion or by how it is interpreted. But you don't build a foundation with rules or interpretations. You build a foundation with skills. That is why you may receive inconsistent help or messages from believers. Their foundation is still pretty shaky or they may see that your own foundation is shaky.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I have found that many people seek religion because they lack structure, especially a social structure in their lives. They attempt to build their structure by using the rules of religion or by how it is interpreted. But you don't build a foundation with rules or interpretations. You build a foundation with skills. That is why you may receive inconsistent help or messages from believers. Their foundation is still pretty shaky or they may see that your own foundation is shaky.
That is true.

do you know of any structure that doesn't have the flaws you point out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality