U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 AM

8,318 posts, read 7,960,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well, sadly, it is not a religious problem....it is a psychological one. Or a sociological one, perhaps....or a psychiatric one, if you are a low graduating M.D. ()
I agree, the actual behavior is most likely not rooted in religion. I disagree that it is not a religious problem in an organizational sense though.

The RCC, JW, and SBC organizations, among others, have all created structures that allow sexual predators to thrive, gain opportunities to act upon their psychological/sociological/psychiatric drives, and those organizations protect thesepredators to some extent.

The root cause isnít religious. The expression, opportunity, and lack of intervention certainly is religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:52 AM

10,714 posts, read 10,677,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well, sadly, it is not a religious problem....it is a psychological one. Or a sociological one, perhaps....or a psychiatric one, if you are a low graduating M.D. ()

Sexual Predators can be anywhere....Priests, pastors, teachers, doctors, even psychologists......anyone who wants to use and abuse power to take care of the vulnerable.
I searched for a good online article that addresses this but the limits of time
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...xual-predators

I know Psychology Today is to psychology as what Popular Photography is to fine art.....

That being said, they bring up some valid points. The Illness, the personality disorders of these people, that is the problem. They are sexual predators because of the underlying mental illness they have. They care nothing at all about who they harm, they care only about feeding that synapse of the brain at that moment....like a heroin addict getting that fix....or a food addict getting that candy bar....all that matters at the moment is getting that control in order to get that gratification.

There is a good student thesis here outlining the prevalence of personality disorders in sexual offenders.
https://academicworks.cuny.edu/cgi/v...ontext=jj_etds

I do not know about the rest of you, but I have talked with way too many pastors, priests and such who obviously had some serious personality disorders at work. Not to say that they are all like that. But to say that a position of power, like clergy, might attract a certain type of person who has aspirations of using that office for abuse, well, that may be a valid hypothesis. There are some really mentally ill people on a church payroll on this country
In response to this statement: "The Illness, the personality disorders of these people, that is the problem. They are sexual predators because of the underlying mental illness they have."

Every time to topic of homosexuality comes up, there is one poster that says that pedophilia is just a sexual orientation, like being gay or lesbian. I hope he reads this thread.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 AM

36,224 posts, read 9,779,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
When I was involved in a newly implemented Catholic "anti-sexual abuse" training, their official in-training excuse was...

"...everyone is doing it, and at equal proportions. Including all the Protestant denominations looked at and secular monotheist organizations like the BoyScouts, etc..."
Even if that's true (and it may be so, or nearly), that is not really the problem; the cover -up and denial was.
Or still is.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 AM

3,403 posts, read 660,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Sexual predators that work for and wear the uniform of god are skum!

Why arenít other xians putting pressure on the Catholics as they do with two concenting people of the same sex?
Maybe the SBC heirarchy is living biblical after all. You know, that "may he without sin cast the first stone" stuff? Or is it "monkey see, monkey do"?

I get the two confused.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 AM

3,601 posts, read 2,419,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In response to this statement: "The Illness, the personality disorders of these people, that is the problem. They are sexual predators because of the underlying mental illness they have."

Every time to topic of homosexuality comes up, there is one poster that says that pedophilia is just a sexual orientation, like being gay or lesbian. I hope he reads this thread.
Sexual orientation is how one achieves her/his orgasm. Some adults are not sexually attracted to mature/developed bodies.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Sexual orientation is how one achieves her/his orgasm. Some adults are not sexually attracted to mature/developed bodies.
Cool.

But, don't act on it. Who cares what you are attracted to, as long as the sex you ACT on is between consenting adult humans. Then it's none of our business.

Any other sexual attraction you act on, minors, animals, non-consenting adults or those incapable of consenting due to mental incapacitation, is wrong, immoral and criminal.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 AM

3,601 posts, read 2,419,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Cool.

But, don't act on it. Who cares what you are attracted to, as long as the sex you ACT on is between consenting adult humans. Then it's none of our business.

Any other sexual attraction you act on, minors, animals, non-consenting adults or those incapable of consenting due to mental incapacitation, is wrong, immoral and criminal.
Outside of pedophilia and animal abuse, I don't know why anyone has to know or wants to know how others achieve their orgasms.
I guess it's a good thing sometimes to Paul Revere your sexual orientation, especially if you're attracted to objects so that you can call first dibs as the lady did with the Eiffel Tower.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:39 AM

36,224 posts, read 9,779,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Cool.

Yes. Thought crime is a non -starter, really. So, what one thinks or likes is irrelevant until there is action. Some say simply saying it is bad enough.

The two key hurdles when one is acting, is the consent, and the ability to consent. There is then the debating area of 'Well they may seem to consent, but they are really being coerced..' That is a valid problem, but not a valid objection. Nobody uses abuses as a reason to shut down the whole activity - you stop the abuses.

Some may say 'Physician, heal thyself - don't I use the Priest -scandal as a reason to shut down the catholic Church?' No, I don't. The ongoing denial and cover up was an abuse that should have been corrected, but they covered it up and (I believe) are still doing it.

If another Big Stink brought down the Vatican in rubble and eliminated Catholicism, I'd be fine with it, but because it was false for evidential reasons - in my view, not because it had permitted abuses.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:04 PM

Default And now this....

The situation just gets worse even.

Southern Baptist minister list included sex offenders

Old 02-18-2019, 08:42 PM

7,470 posts, read 4,517,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why are you bringing Michael Jackson into the discussion?
sex scandals + Famous people

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 02-18-2019 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or