Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Christian religionists say the only "unforgivable" sin is blaspheming the holy spirit.

Which, of course, is just stupid.

If there's an unforgivable sin, it's an adult preying on a child.

Not just physically, as abhorrent as that is. But some adults rape their children's spirits by instilling bigoted, bible-based beliefs with threats of eternal hellfire for "encouragement."

Man's worst, most vile behaviours have often had religious-based ideologies at their rotten core.

I guess they just excuse their behaviour because it's forgivable - unlike telling the holy spirit it's a douche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 05:50 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
As far as I know Gandhi, MLK, Kennedy, etc., weren't pedophiles.
Precisely. This is a great example of the damage religion does by granting itself elevated status. Ozzy is defending pedophiles on the assumption that they have done something good, simply because they are religious. I very much doubt that he would grant that same grace to a non-Christian.

No single person is wholly good or wholly bad. Ozzy is assuming that because a person presents as a Christian, we should assume that they are better than non-Christians, and forgive them minor transgressions such as sexual abuse of a child.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:58 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Precisely. This is a great example of the damage religion does by granting itself elevated status. Ozzy is defending pedophiles on the assumption that they have done something good, simply because they are religious. I very much doubt that he would grant that same grace to a non-Christian.

No single person is wholly good or wholly bad. Ozzy is assuming that because a person presents as a Christian, we should assume that they are better than non-Christians, and forgive them minor transgressions such as sexual abuse of a child.
To be honest, I wasn't aware of the pedophilia. I had never heard about it happening before. So my response was not based on that. I was thinking of things like Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart.

Unfortunately I haven't read the posted article yet.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
The problem with forgiveness as it's preached in some faiths, is they say it means you have to accept the person back.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Sorry, this is worse than I had assumed.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:19 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It IS bad. And the propensity for religious organizations to cover up or excuse makes it even worse.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:15 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy, just think of all the good things those perverts did. It makes up for everything else.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It IS bad. And the propensity for religious organizations to cover up or excuse makes it even worse.
Ok, but I'm still not sure what is the conclusion being drawn here. Do you really not think churches are important? Are you really saying that we need to ban churches simply because we found some rotten apples?

To be honest, I'm disturbed by the anti-religious tone of this forum. What is the goal?

Old 02-11-2019, 06:53 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
It's crazy. I posted this article in the Christianity forum, and just have had three hotly-worded private messages from someone who claimed I was doing the Devil's work for reading such slander. Here's the first:

Hello minivan driver,

I am writing you to help inform you that the article you posted is a smear peice. Every criminal offender is listed with a religious affiliation. Which of course amounts to little or no validity. Murderers on death row are likely listed as Baptist.
Still, the author of the article was very misleading and lied.
They simply looked at a statistical report and embeleshed the rest.

If you Love the Lord with all your heart seek first the kingdom.
Steer clear of promulgating lies that disparage a commutnity. Use discretion before posting.
Things such as this will are their guilt.

So please seperate yourself from their guilt.

Blessings Always

When I pointed out that ardent Catholics were saying the same thing when their sex abuse scandal came to light, here was the second message:

So you would rather spread slanderous disparaging lies instead of the truth i just shared with you.
I see.
For out of the heart.

And when I again pointed out that he was providing no facts to back up his case, this is what he sent:

Should I have to repeat that every criminal offeneder is listed with a religious affiliation.
That is the truth of the matter.

Youve already made the crucial mistake of calling me a liar.

Murder is the unforgivable sin. And slander is the murderers companion.

There is such a thing as being true to one's denomination. I totally get that. But there is also such a thing as being blindly loyal. Church members should be demanding accountability and moral behavior from their leadership rather than circling the wagons and attacking those who point out these outrages.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
To be honest, I wasn't aware of the pedophilia. I had never heard about it happening before. So my response was not based on that. I was thinking of things like Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart.

Unfortunately I haven't read the posted article yet.
I hadn't heard about it, either, just the Catholic priests, sone allegations about the JW's and a few isolated Protestant cases. First I'd heard of this. But Ozzy, 'this happens outside' and 'look at all the good they do' is frankly part of the problem - enabling a cover up, excusing the perpetrators and criminalising the victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality