Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 12:46 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
For my better understanding, are you a Deist based on what you think are the probabilities 9r did I misunderstand? No long explaimation or defense needed though.
I'm a deist based on not seeing God doing a damn thing in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 12:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
I just can't support this because domestic abuse cuts both ways. Women can be abusive, too.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
That's my fallback position.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:01 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
I see you? maybe it is doing everything possible?

Old 02-21-2019, 06:36 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I see you? maybe it is doing everything possible?
If this is the extent of God's abilities then He better resign and put somebody more qualified in charge.

Hey, Mike555.......!

Old 02-21-2019, 06:42 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
If this is the extent of God's abilities then He better resign and put somebody more qualified in charge.
He put US in charge on earth, Thrill. You know, all that "Dominion" business. Did you forget that?

Old 02-21-2019, 08:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
That's the whole point of deism. God may desperately want good things for the human race but He has deliberately chosen to stay completely out of it.
Indefinitely though? Because that's the only way there is necessarily a contradiction. If god chose to stay "out of it" (depending on what you even mean by that) then we could perhaps conclude that god doesn't in fact want good things for us.

Quote:
From my observations of human development He kick-started the evolutionary cycle from two atoms coming together to start the building process of the first cell, kept everything going until the first hominids were sufficiently developed to make a go of it on their own and then dropped out of sight. Hasn't been heard from since.
In terms of interacting with the physical world, you mean.

Quote:
So nobody denies men can be evil but the fact that society has managed to flourish and multiply as it as to close to 8 billion people now aptly demonstrates that man has been doing just fine without God's interference. The natural laws He put into place work just fine most of the time. 95% of us are pretty healthy and we give birth to 95% pretty healthy babies. We're destroying the planet, true, but that is for the people 100 years from now to deal with, not us. My only question in all this is why in the hell God created us anyway? Just to get old, suffer and then die? What's the point? I can't believe we evolved on our own. The odds are too astronomically against such a proposition. On the order of 10 to the 150th power or some such insane odds. So why?
It's certainly a good question. And I don't even believe in a deistic god so even less qualified to answer. So long as we all (eventually come to/continue to) acknowledge that a question =/= an argument I'll be happy.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I just can't support this because domestic abuse cuts both ways. Women can be abusive, too.
While that is a good point, the fact that the OP used an abusive husband in the example does not detract from the validity of the metaphor.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:53 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Jeff

I spent time this morning thinking about your posts, especially your latest ones. You are more like your cat than you think.

Your cat lashed out at the feral cat, not because it didn't want that cat to have food but through fear, fear of losing its food supply, it's territory in effect losing its safe place. You strike out against atheists, liberal Christians, LBGT and science as you see us all as threats to your safe olace. A place where only the closed and rigid world of your religion keeps the world from making the Mad Max movies looking like light comedies. And your fears run deeper and wider than I can even imagine.
I say my dear old boot. Bravo! I see it too .

Old 02-22-2019, 10:14 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I say my dear old boot. Bravo! I see it too .
My dogs were hunting dogs are hunted mice in the fields and chased birds. One of 9ur cats was an excellent mouser and the other two so so. One day we the dogs and cats got excited about something behind the entertainment Centre which was too heavy to move. For the night we closed the cats into that room with their food and water. In the morning rodent droppings around the food dish and no sign of a carcass. And then the dogs got excited about the back of the entertainment centre. So we dragged it out and a guinea pig crawled out and the dogs and cat followed it around the room smelling it and looking at each other. There was zero effort to harm this unexpected visitor. We trapped it and took it to the Spca and never found out where it came from. Is it just instinct to not attack a strange animal that's in your house?

There are so many books and scientific papers demonstrating that animals can think, reason and express what we label emotions . If I was a believer I would believe that God gave these species the abilities to think, care and love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality