U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2019, 05:03 AM
 
11,753 posts, read 4,525,289 times
Reputation: 1265

Advertisements

a description of the biblegod is better than an inkblot test in determining the brain state of a given individual.

You have some good stuff trill, I believe that once you are over the grieving process you will make some serious headway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,071 posts, read 5,802,719 times
Reputation: 5339
Yes, yes, God was meaner than hell for years............

Then he settled down and had children and became soft as a pussycat......

You see it happen all the time..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Texas
62 posts, read 29,210 times
Reputation: 43
One of my favorite videos from DarkMatter2525 covers this so I'll leave it here...

https://youtu.be/Hm4GtxOOqeI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
24,632 posts, read 12,751,106 times
Reputation: 11316
Yep. Both the OT god-thing and abusers rely on violence and psychological terrorism to achieve their sociopathic ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 AM
 
1,422 posts, read 293,786 times
Reputation: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If there were such a thing as a "Biblical God" you would have a point, but what the Bible contains is various perceptions ABOUT God, many of which are contradictory. You need to sharpen your focus.
IT's hard to sharpen your focus when you are looking at a non-entity, a vacuum, an empty fairytale.

All versions and variations of the fairytale are inherently,, and completely fales, each in its own false way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 AM
 
10,552 posts, read 10,865,200 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If there were such a thing as a "Biblical God" you would have a point, but what the Bible contains is various perceptions ABOUT God, many of which are contradictory. You need to sharpen your focus.
Yes, the key word is"perceptions". More to the point, the Bible has nothing to do with a Biblical god dictating through the holy spirit something to transmit supernaturally to man. Rather it is just an anthology made up of thousands of scraps and notes and scribblings preserved over centuries that were finally compiled by human writers called scribes circa 500 BC who then sifted through this mess and chose what they felt best described their beliefs about who their god, yahweh was, how he felt, what he did and why he did it. They packaged it and called it the Tanakh. All human invention. As such yahweh becomes just another in a collection of thousands of pagan gods

Pagan Gods And Goddesses - Witchipedia

It's interesting to note that way back then yahweh sent prophets by the cartfuls to the Jewish people telling them to repent. Today Israel is an atheist secular nation and you don't hear a peep from yahweh threatening them with floods and plagues if they don't turn back to him. If this doesn't tell the Christians yahweh is just a figment of the imagination I suppose they're unreachable and will be stuck in this mire until they die. Also interesting is the fact we haven't heard a peep from the Christians in defense of yahweh. Maybe they're finally starting to ask themselves, "Could the skeptics be right about all this??????"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Status: "Freedom - Diversity - Unity" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Mars City
4,606 posts, read 1,793,215 times
Reputation: 6546
That might be true if we never got past the Old Testament. But Jesus is part of God too, and his ways are above, beyond, and superior to the old ways. Just like with us, the Bible shows the changes over time; learn, grow, advance, progress, and improve. The Bible ends with Jesus and his message of love, kindness, and forgiveness.

It's all part of the yin and yang, and balance of life and the universe. The two halves of the Bible show both extremes. Even nature is both beautiful and dangerous (even deadly). Cold needs hot, light needs dark, work needs rest, positive needs negative. You might not like certain aspects of it, but it's not going to be changed.

It's easy to distort the picture when you have an agenda, and select certain pieces of information while leaving out the rest. With only one side shown, you let the pendulum of reality fall over. Yeah sure, God is like an abusive husband...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-11-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 11:15 AM
 
10,552 posts, read 10,865,200 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That might be true if we never got past the Old Testament. But Jesus is part of God too, and his ways are above, beyond, and superior to the old ways. Just like with us, the Bible shows the changes over time; learn, grow, advance, progress, and improve. The Bible ends with Jesus and his message of love, kindness, and forgiveness.

It's all part of the yin and yang, and balance of life and the universe. The two halves of the Bible show both extremes. Even nature is both beautiful and dangerous (even deadly). Cold needs hot, light needs dark, work needs rest, positive needs negative. You might not like it, but it's not going to be changed.

It's easy to distort the picture when you have an agenda, and select certain pieces of information while leaving out the rest. With only one side shown, you let the pendulum of reality fall over.
Yahweh changes over the centuries from this violent war god in Exodus to this gentle loving god reflected in Jesus in the gospels. Yet yahweh says, "I change not". So yahweh would still be inflicting punishment on the Jews and ordering them to wipe out whole nations with their nuclear bombs for their idolatry and refusal to yield their lands promised to the Jews by yahweh. Have you forgotten yahweh promised Abraham all the land from the Euphrates to the Mediterranean? You can create all the reasons you want for why this is not a proper interpretation and I'm sure you will when you respond but the fact remains that the writers refined yahweh from this abhorrent evil monster into a loving benevolent father in contradiction to what yahweh declared about himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
53,340 posts, read 52,413,313 times
Reputation: 62792
Hmm, maybe that's part of why I ended up with an abusive husband. The God I was raised with was critical and mean, but I was taught that this meanness was love, that it was for my own good. It was a sin to think anything good of yourself and that you shouldn't dare to want anything to be different from the way it was because that's the life God gave you. I was prepped for that type of marriage, in part, by my religious upbringing.

Then, of course, I took wedding vows before God in a church, so I was never supposed to end it.

But, I did. Came pretty close to breaking the "Thou shalt not murder" commandment though.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 11:31 AM
 
1,422 posts, read 293,786 times
Reputation: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yahweh changes over the centuries from this violent war god in Exodus to this gentle loving god reflected in Jesus in the gospels. Yet yahweh says, "I change not". So yahweh would still be inflicting punishment on the Jews and ordering them to wipe out whole nations with their nuclear bombs for their idolatry and refusal to yield their lands promised to the Jews by yahweh. Have you forgotten yahweh promised Abraham all the land from the Euphrates to the Mediterranean? You can create all the reasons you want for why this is not a proper interpretation and I'm sure you will when you respond but the fact remains that the writers refined yahweh from this abhorrent evil monster into a loving benevolent father in contradiction to what yahweh declared about himself.
Truth never changes, so it is incontrovertible that Yahweh is a falsehood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top