U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Status: "Iím a Disney travel agent." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,779 posts, read 8,549,967 times
Reputation: 1595

Advertisements

Quote:
Wasn't it Jesus who said,

Quote:
"My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Fatherís hand. John 10:29
So Jesus assures us that no one on earth is capable of causing a Christian to be snatched out of their god's hand. That's about as secure an offer as Jesus can make. Further, Jesus promises:

Quote:
A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will abandon the sheep because they don't belong to him and he isn't their shepherd. I am the good shepherd and I will not abandon my sheep. John 10:12
So Jesus talks out of both sides of his mouth. In one breath he promises, "NO ONE will take you out of my father's hands. You are eternally safe." But then in another breath he says, "Hey, if you decide to leave it's not my problem! It's not up to my father to save you!!!!!"
Wow, you seriously misinterpret the John 10:12 passage. Does it mean what you say, in context?

11 ďI am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2019, 08:47 PM
 
10,552 posts, read 10,865,200 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So you rejected the biblical God after how it was presented to you, and how contrasting you found him with your own research - fair enough!

Does that mean God does not exist?
And is that the end of your quest of finding who your creator is?
Yes, I rejected the Biblical god because I and others have presented enough evidence on these boards to refute him 10 times over as just a man-made statue to worship.

I do NOT reject the idea that a God exists. I am an agnostic deist. I don't know if God exists. I suspect something does because I cannot explain how this complex universe and complex life on this planet got started. Abiogenesis doesn't do it for me--there had to be a higher power to trigger all this. If there is a God He is deist. There isn't the slightest bit of evidence He intervenes in this world or touches our lives. He doesn't answer prayers. He doesn't perform miracles. He does nothing except maybe stopping an asteroid from wiping us all out but He'll be totally indifferent to us wiping ourselves out with nuclear war or polluting the earth into a giant garbage dump.

So there's no quest to make. My quest is over and I have my answers. All I'm trying to do now is save young people around here from getting sucked into Christianity and wasting their lives praying for something that is never going to happen for them like I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Status: "Iím a Disney travel agent." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,779 posts, read 8,549,967 times
Reputation: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, I rejected the Biblical god because I and others have presented enough evidence on these boards to refute him 10 times over as just a man-made statue to worship.

I do NOT reject the idea that a God exists. I am an agnostic deist. I don't know if God exists. I suspect something does because I cannot explain how this complex universe and complex life on this planet got started. Abiogenesis doesn't do it for me--there had to be a higher power to trigger all this. If there is a God He is deist. There isn't the slightest bit of evidence He intervenes in this world or touches our lives. He doesn't answer prayers. He doesn't perform miracles. He does nothing except maybe stopping an asteroid from wiping us all out but He'll be totally indifferent to us wiping ourselves out with nuclear war or polluting the earth into a giant garbage dump.

So there's no quest to make. My quest is over and I have my answers. All I'm trying to do now is save young people around here from getting sucked into Christianity and wasting their lives praying for something that is never going to happen for them like I did.
What does a deist believe about the afterlife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 11:33 PM
 
10,552 posts, read 10,865,200 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What does a deist believe about the afterlife?
I don't know about others but I allow for the possibility of there being one. I don't believe we fly to the judgment throne of God who then says, "Depart from me ye cursed into everlasting flames...". Rather we simply step outside our dead bodies, look around and eventually find a tunnel leading to a bright light at the end and coming into a beautiful pastoral setting. At least that's the way Christian George Ritchie described it in his famous book "Return From Tomorrow". Ritchie claims to have met Jesus, but millions of people who describe their experience never mention Jesus or the devil. But there's no evidence for any of this. So there's the possibility we just go *pouf* and that's the end of us too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
14,286 posts, read 9,938,818 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That might be true if we never got past the Old Testament. But Jesus is part of God too, and his ways are above, beyond, and superior to the old ways. Just like with us, the Bible shows the changes over time; learn, grow, advance, progress, and improve. The Bible ends with Jesus and his message of love, kindness, and forgiveness.
...and yet the Bible consistently says that Yahweh does NOT change and that his 'laws' will endure until the end of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
And is that the end of your quest of finding who your creator is?
Still waiting for you to show that there was a 'creator'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 04:04 AM
 
7,982 posts, read 6,861,370 times
Reputation: 1401
The evil concept of God is a attribute of the demon spirit , who in deceptive way blinds people , where God is actually charitable in His love and blessing were people need to be willing to Love God ......, So then it is only the heathen who denies God will see Him as abusive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 07:05 AM
 
3,132 posts, read 978,126 times
Reputation: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The evil concept of God is a attribute of the demon spirit , who in deceptive way blinds people , where God is actually charitable in His love and blessing were people need to be willing to Love God ......, So then it is only the heathen who denies God will see Him as abusive
Why doesnít you god fix the problem?

I donít expect you to think this through so give your pamphlet answer.

Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM
 
11,753 posts, read 4,525,289 times
Reputation: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Why doesnít you god fix the problem?

I donít expect you to think this through so give your pamphlet answer.

Here
maybe god is fixing it ... using you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 AM
 
3,132 posts, read 978,126 times
Reputation: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
maybe god is fixing it ... using you?
Please explain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 10:45 AM
 
10,552 posts, read 10,865,200 times
Reputation: 3194
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The evil concept of God is a attribute of the demon spirit , who in deceptive way blinds people , where God is actually charitable in His love and blessing were people need to be willing to Love God ......, So then it is only the heathen who denies God will see Him as abusive
The main attribute of an abusive husband is repeatedly beating his wife

Quote:
But while the meat was still between their teeth and before it could be consumed, the anger of the LORD burned against the people, and he struck them with a severe plague.

(Num. 11:33; Deut. 28:20-24; 58-61; 2 Sam. 24:15-18; Ps. 88:16; 90:5-8). The natural elements can be agents (Gen. 6:17; 19:24; Ps. 104:4; Isa. 30:30; Jer. 21:14; Joel 1)
Quote:
[Be faithful to me or] I will strip [you] naked
and make [you] as bare as on the day [you was born;
I will make [you] like a desert,
turn [you] into a parched land,
and slay [you] with thirst.
The Old testament is filled with such threats of abuse and actual beatings to the people of Israel because a paranoid jealous yahweh was constantly accusing the people of Israel of adultery. Remember one of the signs I gave of an abusive husband is irrational suspicion and jealousy.

After beating the people yahweh then tries to make up to them by declaring his love to them and apologizing.

Quote:
The LORD said: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
Time after time yahweh beats the hell out of the people of Israel and then declares his love for them.

I've just shown you a few examples, hljc. And now you're actually going to try to tell us it's the devil deceiving us into believing he's actually good to his wife and never harms her???????? When I've shown it to you in print from your own holy book????????

What reality do you live in, hl? Certainly not this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top