U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:05 PM

220 posts, read 187,990 times

Advertisements

I was for a long time in the UPCI. They have a lot of rules on what to wear, hair length, etc. I believe there are some things we can all agree on are good to practice Christian or non-Christian. But some denominations such as the UPCI, Church of Christ, Jehovah Witness, etc read things into the scripture and then come up with a standard of dress, or you can't watch movies, TV, etc. Then what happens is, is that standard is used to judge how spiritual someone is.

In the case of most of these churches, they don't view anyone outside of their flavor as being a true Christian. I have no use for such a belief. And if a church takes it upon themselves to say "oh you really shouldn't have a beard" or "you should really wear long sleeves," then I am not interested in being part of that church.

I'd rather go to no church than go to one that causes all sorts of strife and fuss over little things. I remember the church I used to go to did this. They would nag if you didn't shave or hair was over ears, etc. Yet people would be so nasty and prideful and it was ok because they were related to so and so who was a well known name in the church.

Or the women would be so proud that they knew Jesus and didn't wear pants or makeup or jewelry yet would spend an hour doing their uncut hair.

Most would probably say you have an unteachable spirit then. But I ask who qualified them to be a teacher, or to teach such things. If they teach things that are clearly false, then that would be a false teacher, in my opinion. So why should I listen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 PM

15,776 posts, read 8,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I was for a long time in the UPCI. They have a lot of rules on what to wear, hair length, etc. I believe there are some things we can all agree on are good to practice Christian or non-Christian. But some denominations such as the UPCI, Church of Christ, Jehovah Witness, etc read things into the scripture and then come up with a standard of dress, or you can't watch movies, TV, etc. Then what happens is, is that standard is used to judge how spiritual someone is.

In the case of most of these churches, they don't view anyone outside of their flavor as being a true Christian. I have no use for such a belief. And if a church takes it upon themselves to say "oh you really shouldn't have a beard" or "you should really wear long sleeves," then I am not interested in being part of that church.

I'd rather go to no church than go to one that causes all sorts of strife and fuss over little things. I remember the church I used to go to did this. They would nag if you didn't shave or hair was over ears, etc. Yet people would be so nasty and prideful and it was ok because they were related to so and so who was a well known name in the church.

Or the women would be so proud that they knew Jesus and didn't wear pants or makeup or jewelry yet would spend an hour doing their uncut hair.

Most would probably say you have an unteachable spirit then. But I ask who qualified them to be a teacher, or to teach such things. If they teach things that are clearly false, then that would be a false teacher, in my opinion. So why should I listen to them?
There are many Christian churches where that is not an issue. I hope you can find one.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:15 PM

8,318 posts, read 7,957,614 times
I take this only one step further. I won’t belong to a church that says one must believe in god.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:56 AM

15,877 posts, read 7,327,947 times
Margaret Fell called that sort of thing a “silly, poor gospel.” It seems to be human nature to make silly rules

Old 02-22-2019, 07:16 PM

11,748 posts, read 4,525,289 times
silly rules for silly people.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:28 PM

24,628 posts, read 12,751,106 times
I won't go to a church that would have someone like me as a member.*

* Groucho is one of my gurus.

Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM

3,323 posts, read 1,211,339 times
Isn't it up to the "true faith", and not the flock, to evaluate the rules?

If the true church is handed down be divine inspiration, who are the parishioners to say "I don't like this part"?

A democratic church? Reeally?

Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

8,194 posts, read 3,259,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I take this only one step further. I won’t belong to a church that says one must believe in god.
Stands to reason.

I won't join Consumer Reports and pay the fee to get their auto reports if I'm not interested in buying a car.

I won't join Blue Apron if I don't know how to cook and don't have any interest at all in learning to.

Don't see why anyone would disagree with you.

Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM

11,748 posts, read 4,525,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I won't go to a church that would have someone like me as a member.*

* Groucho is one of my gurus.
lmoa, I love good comedians. the funnest one are at least, 1/2 truths.

more people should listen to them instead of shunning them.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

36,224 posts, read 9,779,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I take it Two steps further - I won't belong to a church that looks like a church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Isn't it up to the "true faith", and not the flock, to evaluate the rules?

If the true church is handed down be divine inspiration, who are the parishioners to say "I don't like this part"?

A democratic church? Reeally?
Yep. There's a whole sliding -scale of cherry -picking between Absolute Fundamentalism (which not even orthodox Jews do, today - so Nobody is Really following God's laws) to the most laid -back of cafeteria Christianity. So nobody really has the mandate to point to others and saying they aren't following God's laws. They ALL follow only the laws that they are comfortable with.

Oh yes, I know. Jesus came and gave you a tray and a table -number. He also said that doing good on the Sabbath was more important than attending the place of worship. He said that the religious group is more important than the family. He also said to give away your Car, CD collection and piggy bank to the poor. Yep, the Faithful cherry - pick the NT, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality