Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To be fair, kids make other kids cry over a lot of different things.
So it's okay? Is that the christian position on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:01 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So it's okay? Is that the christian position on that?
No.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No.
Then you need to think more carefully how you compose your posts.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then you need to think more carefully how you compose your posts.
Why? He represents himself, not the whole of Christianity.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I am so angry.

I talked to my daughter last night and she relayed some instances to me that just highlights the horrible teachings of the Christian believers. We live in what I call the buckle of the bible belt, and one just can't avoid the magical and terror teachings of Christians.

Yes, terror teachings.

None of my family is religious, in fact, we are all atheists. I wear it on my sleeve, but my children are more diplomatic, as they have to work and interact with the religious. In fact, they are friends with some evangelicals. And that is the case with my 7 year old grandson; two of his best friends are from evangelical families.

Why crying himself to sleep? Because those friends, and it was not because they intended to be confrontational, keep telling him that he will go to hell because he, and his family, doesn't believe in God. He is terrified of what that means!

I am so very angry that the indoctrination of small children cause them to believe in hell, and even if out of innocence, they have caused my grandson to have nightmares and crying himself to sleep. I wish I could swear on here, I am that angry. What makes those religions, and parents, think they need to indoctrinate a child, a CHILD!, and that early age.

Now to be fair, my daughter contacted both of the parents. They were gracious, and both said they would talk to their children not to have religious discussions with my grandson. Good for them, and I appreciate that, and my anger is not at them directly, but at the infrastructure that religions are and that they promulgate this terror thinking.

Parents, if you are a believer, fine. Your frontal cortex is fully developed. But stop, I mean STOP, indoctrinating your children and terrorising by teaching them hell is a real thing. If you want to tell some bible stories, fine, but stop there. Stop in the deep dive. You are harming people you don't even know you are.

And I am still so very angry at this. My bright, innocent, loveable, sport minded, kind to all, grandson in terror of an imaginary place because of adults teaching their children it is real. I am just boiling.
yeah, my son was terrified of a monster under the bed for some time.

I blame the parents ... not religion.

they were gracious ... their religion taught them that too?

I am billing over far bigger things that adults do than religion. for no-Christ sake, people around me have to send kids to religious schools because of the leadership (if thatch what we can even call it) in our public schools in the north east have destroyed our schools over the last 25 years.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:17 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Does anyone represent the whole of any philosophy or religion?

The point is, his comments were insensitive. I have a pretty thick skin, so I really don't give a fiddlers hoot of what one thinks of me or says too me or of me.

However, when it comes to children, and especially seeing how toxic, even if unwittingly, fundamentalist religion, in this case Christianity, and especially when my grandson is impacted so negatively, I see red. There are no excuses for the environment that causes this... none. As mentioned, when my daughter contacted the parents involve, they handled it well, and I give them credit for that. But the issue is that there is an environment were adults teach children this garbage, and the rest of us are just suppose to sit back and accept it.

No. A thousand times NO! It is not acceptable, and no spin or excuse will ever make it so. Quit terrorizing your children about hell. Just stop.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:25 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, my son was terrified of a monster under the bed for some time.

I blame the parents ... not religion.

they were gracious ... their religion taught them that too?

I am billing over far bigger things that adults do than religion. for no-Christ sake, people around me have to send kids to religious schools because of the leadership (if thatch what we can even call it) in our public schools in the north east have destroyed our schools over the last 25 years.
Horse pucky.

You are excusing the things that are taught to young, impressionable children as acceptable. It is the religion that is being taught, the religion that teaches, stresses, pounds into people, that they will eternally suffer and burn in hell, in a lake of fire. There is no thought given as to how this may impact their own children, or in this case, my grandson. The parents involved were probably brought up the same way, so they think they are doing the right thing by indoctrinating their children in this toxic belief system. The parents were taught they need to indoctrinate their children early. It is the religion at fault.

If you want to have religion, fine. I don't care if you as an adult want to believe in some sort of magical thinking. But the moment your fantasies about your beliefs start impacting others, children or not, the line gets draw as a hard stop.

Keep your thoughts in your head, and if you really need community, go to your place of worship. But children? Not until they are at least 18. You do damage you have no idea of otherwise.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Does anyone represent the whole of any philosophy or religion?

The point is, his comments were insensitive. I have a pretty thick skin, so I really don't give a fiddlers hoot of what one thinks of me or says too me or of me.

However, when it comes to children, and especially seeing how toxic, even if unwittingly, fundamentalist religion, in this case Christianity, and especially when my grandson is impacted so negatively, I see red. There are no excuses for the environment that causes this... none. As mentioned, when my daughter contacted the parents involve, they handled it well, and I give them credit for that. But the issue is that there is an environment were adults teach children this garbage, and the rest of us are just suppose to sit back and accept it.

No. A thousand times NO! It is not acceptable, and no spin or excuse will ever make it so. Quit terrorizing your children about hell. Just stop.
Thank you. But I'll tell why his response bothered me. As a school principal, and even in non-professional settings, I often heard parents and sometimes teachers say, "Well life isn't fair". Well dammit, as responsible adults while we can't make everything in life fair, we ought to be trying as hard as we can to make things as fair as we can...especially for children.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:35 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
I am so angry.

I talked to my daughter last night and she relayed some instances to me that just highlights the horrible teachings of the Christian believers.

Parents, if you are a believer, fine. Your frontal cortex is fully developed. But stop, I mean STOP, indoctrinating your children and terrorising by teaching them hell is a real thing. If you want to tell some bible stories, fine, but stop there. Stop in the deep dive. You are harming people you don't even know you are.

And I am still so very angry at this. My bright, innocent, loveable, sport minded, kind to all, grandson in terror of an imaginary place because of adults teaching their children it is real. I am just boiling.
So what do you suggest is the answer? Do we invade homes and start making laws against Christianity? Then what’s next? You start by taking religious freedom - then what else? Who decides? How long before someone wants you?

If your grandchild was afraid and in tears, then it’s up to you (or the parents) to guide, teach and console him. I certainly don’t agree with the concept (and understand how a kid could be frightened by it),but I also think most Christian parents aren’t hovering over the kid, demanding he say the prayer through tears. If so, it’s not a question of religion, it could be a question of abuse (which is another topic).

There are many kids being physically and emotionally abused (and neglected) in their homes. Those are the issues I am ‘boiling’ about, not a prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality